Buying my first BCD - read a lot on SB, looking for advice/opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not suggesting it because it's big and bulky IMO but I'm almost positive a Knighthawk has trim pockets around the tank.

If you want a more heavy duty Zeagle - for you there's the single tank only Stiletto. They call it a travel model but they're optimists...Besides the Zena there's another ladies model but I think it's the more heavy duty/heavier model.

Really look at an Express Tech. It's a soft backplate design and you add just the features you want - Zeagle sells two different weight systems, add-on pockets etc. It will actually take doubles if you ever get there.Also several of their wings interchange. Someone even mentioned recently you can add a Zeagle hard plate but they don't list that option. Maybe the upper end of your price range fully configured. Also Dive Gear Express sells cheaper compatible pockets since they just slide on the waist straps - Zeagle's are pricey.

So quick summary:

BCDs which were mentioned so far:
  • Scubapro Hydros Pro (male/female versions)
  • Zeagle Brigade (male)
  • Zeagle Zena (female)
  • Aqualung Zuma
  • Diverite TravelPac
  • Scubapro Lighthawk
  • Zeagle Covert/Covert XL
  • Zeagle Express Tech w/add on weight pockets.
  • Oceanic Biolite (male/female versions)
  • Zeagle Stiletto
BP/W rigs mentioned so far:
  • Freedom Contour plate (multiple sizes) - got multiple votes
  • Halcyon BP (2 sizes in SS and AL)
  • xDeep Ghost
  • DSS (once they're back in business)

I noticed that some of the BCDs (mainly Zeagle) have a horseshoe bladder vs others (like the Scubapro Hydros) have a Donut bladder. Can anyone give me some insight as to what pros/cons and thoughts behind these 2 designs are?

And yes, the Zeagles do seem very interesting. I like the modularity, price is below the 700USD. Will definitely have to look into those closer. I didn't consider them before.

Edit: The Zeagle Express Tech looks very interesting. Modular but also minimalist.

@qubus because you live in the city I would suggest Leisurepro. They sell almost every dive product imaginable except for the items that are strictly mail order. They may be also able to help you connect with a local pool. If they don't have a product at the retail location they will pull one from the warehouse. It is also rumored that they will deal, so you may get a better price than what is advertised. This BC looks kinda nice for the price. Take a look at their web site and make a short list and visit them.

As far as DSS goes, without starting a flame war, the owner left it up in the air if and when he was going to reopen. So IMHO it is not worth waiting for. Also given your and your wife's size I doubt you need a large backplate. If you or your wife want a small AL plate then I suggest Oxycheq, it even comes in colors if you are into that. It does not require an STA.

Speaking of BP/W, it is comprised of four items, the plate, the wing, the harness, and the cam straps. Usually, if you buy a package you get a better price. Coming from a 90s vintage jacket BC it was a revelation. For those switching from a modern back-inflate BC, some are disappointed.

As far as Freedom plates go, Eric is an artist by trade and makes them as a side business. If you want one, then PM him and he will put you in the list. He may even have some ready. Several members that I trust use the FP with the VDH wing. If you do this you will still need a harness and straps which can be purchased anywhere. Speaking of VDH, there is nothing about the wing that restricts it to old-style double-hose regulators. When the package was in stock you were able to chose if you want the flat backplate or the standard one.

Halcyon Eclipse 20 pounds with an aluminium backplate. Standard one piece harness.

7 foot primary reg hose with 22 inch backup reg necklaced and 26 inch spg on left hip d ring.

[/QUOTE]And no, last time in Roatan with 85°F (29°C) water we were both cold, sometimes shivering with our 5mm. [/QUOTE]
I have dived in 8 degrees in water in a membrane Drysuit (no insulating properties) with no undergarments on underneath (don’t ask me) and without gloves for 30 mins and when I came out it took about 3 hrs to get the feeling back in my hands fully. I HAD to have a hot chocolate and warm for half an hour before I could even have my friend assist me doff the neck seal.....

And your cold in a 5mm in 29 degree centigrade water?!?!?!?!

:bigpalm:

Need to get that checked out...

@ams511 Thank you for the tip. I noticed LeisurePro has a shop here and what you suggest is exactly what I'm doing: making a shortlist, call them to make sure they have them in the store and then go by and try things out and compare.

I guess if we go with BP/W, I'd surely PM Eric for the Freedom Plate, would be top of my list.

I have dived in 8 degrees in water in a membrane Drysuit (no insulating properties) with no undergarments on underneath (don’t ask me) and without gloves for 30 mins and when I came out it took about 3 hrs to get the feeling back in my hands fully. I HAD to have a hot chocolate and warm for half an hour before I could even have my friend assist me doff the neck seal.....

And your cold in a 5mm in 29 degree centigrade water?!?!?!?!

Haha... yeah, well not by choice for sure. Don't know why, I guess I a) don't have much insulation myself (I did mention I was quite slim) and b) I guess I don't move much/enough (which shouldn't be a bad thing, right)? Nothing I can do... I start shivering in my 5mm semidry.

I'm not joking, I'm actually thinking of adding insulation when we go on our travel as the water there might be "only" 77°F (25°C).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom