Buying dive gear is a pain in the a**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't think this is unique to dive gear. If I decide to buy a brand of something that nobody carries locally, then I'm going to have to go through the hassle of buying it on line and hoping it fits or works. I'm not sure what it was about the Cressi BC that made it THE one, but my guess is that there ARE some BCs locally that are similar enough that you could live with them, if you wanted something you could try on before you buy.

Inventory is very expensive . . . stores have to lay out cash to acquire it, and that money is tied up until someone buys the item. Sometimes, that's a long time. It's been my observation that many dive stores appear to be undercapitalized and very few carry much inventory. This does put them at a disadvantage, because the only big reason to spend the sums they ask for their goods is for instant gratification, or the ability to try before you buy. If you can't take it home today and you can't try it, AND you have to pay for it before they order it, then they've essentially negated every advantage they have over online stores.

But if I go into my local tack shop and want a saddle they don't carry, they're going to make me pay for it before they order it. That's just pretty standard operating procedure. A shop doesn't want to end up with an item of an obscure brand that they can't resell when you turn out not to want it, after all.

I sure wish it was easier to buy this stuff.
I don't know what could be easier than pointing and clicking.

So I walked into a dive shop one day and said gooday and so did they.
I told them I was there to buy two pickled cabbages and we talked about them for a while.
Anyhow we said our goodbuys and I walked into Schnoit's deli next door bought what I came for and took them to my ex girlfriend from thirty years ago mothers place, (ex future mother in law) so she could cook up some cupus.

So I walked into a dive shop one day and said gooday and so did they.
I told them I was there to buy two pickled cabbages and we talked about them for a while.
Anyhow we said our goodbuys and I walked into Schnoit's deli next door bought what I came for and took them to my ex girlfriend from thirty years ago mothers place, (ex future mother in law) so she could cook up some cupus.

ALL YOUR CABBAGE ARE BELONG TO US!

:eyebrow:

I have one of every bc that Zeagle offers. We have each in all sizes and use them as school gear. My students get to try different ones in class, and if you are not a student, you can book on my boat and rent gear of the type you are thinking of buying. This way, you actually Can try out the gear before you buy/order. Same for my regs and other big items. If you use them, you can make a better decision. You book my boat, you rent my gear, you probably buy after that, because you got to get the stuff wet before buying. I cant figure out why other LDS' can't figure out the win-win there for everyone.

I don't carry tons of different brands, but I cover all of my my brand. And I will be glad to direct you to where other brands are sold. Look around. I don't mind. And That attitude builds loyal customers......

I can sympathize. Several years ago when I started "seriously" diving to the point of wanting my own gear, I followed a very similar path to the OP: that is, I researched online, read reviews, checked out comments on SB, and generally examined the pros and cons of this product vs. the other. Because $4000+ is a lot of money for me, I'm not going to spend it on just the brands my closest LDS happens to stock.

Now, I didn't make my final decisions based purely on research. I wanted to see most of this stuff firsthand, try on the BC and check for fit, etc. The research simply narrowed my choices, but I preferred to support an actual dive shop if at all possible before resorting to online, in part because I knew much of this stuff would be requiring regular service. BUT... I did not want to go hither and yon, buying the BC at this shop and my regs at another, etc. I wanted one shop who carried most of the lines I was interested in.

Unlike the OP, however, I happened to get lucky. Every time I would narrow down a gear choice, I would go to the manufacturer website and check out their dealer list. Lo and behold, this one shop kept coming up consistently, over and again. I asked some local divers and got generally good reports on the shop, so I checked them out in person, met the owners, and started looking over their gear.

Pleased by the interaction and by their good choices in gear lines, I ended up spending the bulk of my money there, and am still happy with them today.

They are not the closest shop; I pass several others on my 45-minute drive there. And they're not the shop I use for my subsequent dive instruction, nor my tank fills; I use closer shops for those, and my instructor because he came highly recommended by my dive buddies (and just being my instructor does also bring his shop some of my follow-on business). But most of my gear & servicing comes from that original shop even now, years later.

So, I understand and sympathize with the OP. I just happened to get lucky. But if I had not, I would not have hesitated to purchase everything from a reputable online vendor, even knowing I might still have to find a local shop carrying that line for service.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the LDS. I have not had that happen to me, and I know I wouldn't want to buy from someone like that. I have Scubapro gear, it has never let me down. You have gotten some good advice here, hope you are able to get the gear you want at a decent price.

I can also sympathize. I feel terribly guilty at times basically using LDS's as a "showroom" to touch, fondle, and try on gear before buying it (usually) for half their asking price from an online retailer.

It's a changing world thanks to the economy, and if a shop owner can't figure out that SERVICE is what will bring customers in the door then I can't feel sorry when they have to close that door.

One thing I do try is explaining that I would like to support the local store but the prices online can't be beat. This gives the shop a chance to either match the online price (and get the sale), or tell me what they offer that is worth the more expensive price. Business is tough and it's the creative owner who will figure out a way to make things work, unfortunately I usually see owners who love diving but have no real desire to figure out how to stay in business or how to offset their higher prices with unique and useful services to keep me coming back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom