For Sale BUYER BEWARE Zelle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He had a moderator account Sunday. I sent him a PM and he eventually banned me from Scubaboard. Had to have a buddy reach out to the Chairman to have my account reinstated. Caveat emptor.

I PMed him on Sunday too. Things didn't look right. The minute he wouldn't take a buyer protected payment, I was out and he banned me. Appealed it and reported what smelled like a hacked mod account. Pleased to be unbanned.

Sucks for anyone who got scammed. It's easy to let your guard down when it's appears to be such a reputable seller.

Does scubaboard offer two factor authentication? I seem to recall an option to enable it, although I can’t find it right now (on my phone). 2FA seriously cuts down on this sort of thing.

Does scubaboard offer two factor authentication? I seem to recall an option to enable it, although I can’t find it right now (on my phone). 2FA seriously cuts down on this sort of thing.

It does. I've got it set up to work with an authenticator app.

PayPal only and pay for the protection is the only option at this point.

Reactions: OTF
PayPal only and pay for the protection is the only option at this point.
I don't see an option to pay more for additional protection through Paypal, "buyer protection" seems to be automatic for qualifying purchases. Am I missing something?

Very disturbing how slick this scam is, using known accounts and competent well-phrased ads. Is it reposting the texts of old ads by other people, or is this someone who is quite knowledgeable about dive equipment?

Am I missing something?
Many people will send money using the "friend or family" option which while being completely free also is free from any protection. I would like to find a way to report these Zelle addresses to Zelle and let them follow up on the attempted scams.

I don't see an option to pay more for additional protection through Paypal, "buyer protection" seems to be automatic for qualifying purchases. Am I missing something?

If someone asks for friends and family (and I don't know them) there's a calculator online that will add the fees (so they get exactly what they're asking for).

The Fee Calculator - Calculate PayPal merchant fees for credit cards

I just choose merchant and pay whatever the difference is and figure it's pretty cheap insurance if anything goes south.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom