Buy Luna used or Perdix AI new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitters (Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, Aqua Lung, Sherwood, Tusa) all work with the Perdix AI. Transmitter compatibility can be confirmed by checking for FCC ID MH8A on the end of the transmitter.

The Scubapro transmitter will not work.

Make sure that your transmitter is working with the Perdix. I've had the same idea of using my Luna transmitter with the Perdix AI but according to Shearwater support it doesn't.

That's what happens when you buy an off-brand computer... :wink: (Just teasing!)

I have an Oceanic Atom 3.0 and the transmitter that came with it, a Hollis TX-1, and a Perdix AI with the transmitter that came with it. The Perdix (and the TX-1) works just fine with the transmitter that came with my Atom. I have not tried the TX-1 or Atom with the transmitter that came with the Perdix, but I have no doubt it will work - I just haven't used either of those computers since I got the Perdix AI.

As scubadada said PPS makes the transmitters for Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, AquaLung, Sherwood and (I believe) Tusa. They actually make a lot of the computers themselves, like the Oceanic Atom and VT4 and the new AquaLung models like the i200, I300, i450, and i750. The same transmitter works for all of them.

ScubaPro hoes their own row and their customers are pretty well locked into ScubaPro's proprietary everything when it comes to computers. Well, except for being able to use aftermarket dive logging software.

Thank you for all the replies. I am still torn. I like the idea of the Perdix but as a rec diver the value of it works with dive planning software is not worth $500. Are there other technical reasons to buy the Perdix?

Note: one clarification, my transmitter is from a atom and has fcc id FCC ID MH8A. So it is compatible with the Perdix.

Thank you again.

Thank you for all the replies. I am still torn. I like the idea of the Perdix but as a rec diver the value of it works with dive planning software is not worth $500. Are there other technical reasons to buy the Perdix?

Note: one clarification, my transmitter is from a atom and has fcc id FCC ID MH8A. So it is compatible with the Perdix.

Thank you again.
Do what you like. You asked for our opinions. Personally, I could not dive the Scubapro decompression algorithm and want nothing to do with their Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops (PDIS)

From a purely recreational diving point of view:

The Perdix has a MUCH nicer display. It probably doesn't make a practical difference in clear water on day dives. I mean, if you can read it at a glance, you can read it. But, night dives or dives with crap viz, the difference will make a legit, practical difference. I dived the B29 in Lake Mead a while back. My insta-buddy had a Galileo (not sure if Luna or Sol). Our first dive ended very prematurely because we got down and he couldn't read his tank pressure on his computer and started wigging out that he would run out of air. The viz was only 5 - 10 feet, but it was very dark because of all the silt in the water above us. His backlight was working. He even showed it to me and the DM both to try and get one of us to read it for him. Neither of us understood what he was asking for, so we were no help. But, I did look at his computer and, well, it was not NEARLY as easy to read as a Peridx. I was looking at it with just the backlight on and I also tried shining my light on it.

The Perdix battery is easy to change, easy to find in almost any store, and lasts a pretty long time in the Perdix. And if you happen to screw up and flood the battery compartment, you'll just have to dry it out and put a new battery in to continue using the computer.

If you have a problem with a Perdix, you can email Shearwater and they will respond promptly and take good care of you. But, you are VERY unlikely to have a problem with it.

You can set the Perdix to a lower Conservatism value than the Luna and enjoy longer bottom times (while still staying with the bounds of recreational open water training, by not exceeding your NDL). I really like my Atom computer and I like the Perdix. I would not want to change to a computer that was "more conservative" and gave me shorter NDLs.

The Perdix comes with a screen protector installed and replacements are cheap and easy to put on yourself. And if you ever really scratch the "lens", I believe Shearwater will replace it for you (if you want to bother) for cheap.

The Shearwater comes with nice elastic straps and also bungee and the computer body has holes for the bungee, if you prefer to wear it using bungee instead of the elastic straps. I say "bungee", but I think mine actually came with surgical tubing, but actual bungee cord is super cheap, so I could really use either. Regardless, there are a couple of benefits to all that: One elastic strap or bungee could break, get unclipped, or get cut and the computer still would not fall off. And, there are no strap pins that could break and allow the computer to fall off either. And whether you use the elastic straps or bungee, it will compensate for suit compression to stay snug on your arm.

You said you like AI and the Perdix will work with the transmitter you already have.

A Perdix AI will include a 2 year warranty, which is transferable (in case you find a used one). A used Luna will not come with a warranty, I don't think. If you buy one and it floods, starts acting flakey, or whatever, in 2 or 3 months, you'll just be out the cost of a repair.

A Perdix AI could easily last you the rest of your diving career. A Luna could easily have you wanting to replace it and relatively soon, because either you really want to go back to AI, or you want a more readable display, or both. Or because it flooded after a battery change, or whatever.

As a point to the longevity of Shearwater computers, many rebreather divers are still using the original Shearwater computer, the Pursuit, which dates back to 2006. Even more are still using the Predator from 2009.

I have a Perdix, non AL (not a fan) and it is an excellent computer and very reliable with above average customer service. Basically it's the same computer as new air integrated model. Don't worry about your diving history or not being a technical diver. You can program it in the recreational mode or use the technical mode which provides a bit more information. It uses one AA battery and has double o-rings on the port for peace of mind when changing out the battery. I use a lithium battery in mine which last longer than the alkaline. Either battery will work great. It is very easy to read and you can customize the screens to your liking. So for your money, the Perdix AL is a better investment.

Just an FYI for the OP... a new Perdix AI just popped up on the classified section of this site... $875 shipped. I bet you could grab this and move the transmitter pretty quickly for $125... for $750 that a pretty good deal IMO.

Personally I'd go the Perdix AI, if your transmitter works with it you're good to go at a chseoer cost.,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom