But what bag do you take on the boat??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am perfectly happy with my giant plain black suitcase for the airplane. However, I have some shoulder problems and lugging the handles of a mesh duffle for ten blocks to the boat ramp is a royal pain in the patootie. I used to have a Deep See duffle that was stolen from a B&B. It had backpack straps and wasn't too bad...but there was no place for a towel to stay dry and no place to tuck the tip for the captain and my room key that wasn't visable. What do you like to use to carry stuff on the boat and possibly have to lug ten blocks before you get to the boat? Thanks for your input.

I have a few large mesh bags with shoulder straps. For the stuff I want to keep dry I bought a cordura drybag from an outdoor gear store. It's big enough for my wife's sandals, our towels, shorts and land camera etc. As soon as I get on the boat I throw whatever I want to keep dry into it, roll and clip the top, and hang it up somewhere out of harm's way.

My latest mesh bag is actually big enuf to hold a pair of 3mm suits, 2 reg sets, 2 masks, 4 fins, 3 computers, my plate and wing, my wife's bcd, etc. Everything two people need except the tanks and weights. I pack so the regs and bcd's are on top. They immediately go on the first tanks and we're down to a very small amount of stuff to keep out of the way of the other divers. When the gears all on us the bag gets pressed into a small tight spot under the bench.

If I'm pressed for time afterwards I can drop the whole shebang in the rinse tank for a quick salt cleaning.

JF

The small dry bag sounds like a good idea. What kind (brand name...is it available on the web) of meash bag did you find that is as capacious as you describe?

We got this mesh sack.

The big advantage is that it has a genuine dry pocket down the area that goes on your back and the bottom is waterproof with drain holes. This means you do not get seawater dripping (pouring?) down your back when you pick it up after a dive.

It is also very well made.

Divers Discount and LP both have good selections of Dry Bags

Check out www.campmor.com for drybags from itty bitty to huge with backpack straps. You'll find a wide assortment at www.rei.com as well. The wilderness outfitters are going to probably charge you less than the scuba places and have more variety to choose from. I've got 4 different sizes depending on what I am planning to keep dry. I use them when I whitewater kayak as well. Drybags are usually tall and slender....so I recommend you get a clear one...makes it alot easier to root out what you are looking for.......You will also find an assortment of mesh bags from REI too....as they cater to kayakers.

I just picked up a new mesh back by XS Scuba from my LDS. It's HUGE! My current bag from REI is starting to delaminate.....that's okay, it's been through alot and doesn't owe me anything.

Back
Top Bottom