Bungee my cheap octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be getting a 5' hose soon, and while I was going to go with a long hose plus an Air2-type device, I'm now warming up to the idea of a bungeed (bungied?) backup.

So now I'm starting to consider attacking my current octo with a bungee, a short hose and a black Sharpie.

My current octo is a Mares MV. It's nothing fancy, but it's matched well to my primary Mares Proton V16, it's lightweight, breathes upside down (which would no longer really be necessary) and I already own it.

Will I die if I decide to put it on a necklace? Or will my split fins kill me before it becomes an issue?

I had a big ol' yellow USD octo bungied under my chin, then I died from it.

No joking. I've been willing to donate it to an OOA diver all this time. I'd be a hypocrite not to use it myself, wouldn't I? Is there a technical reason that makes it less reliable as the backup in a long-hose configuration?

The only person who didn't have to die (but did anyway) just had his birthday celebrated about 3 months from where it actually was. So... you're going to die!

On a slightly more sensible note.... you can bungee just about anything, and it will in all probability work. IIRC the MV has a hose that goes in at more than 90° from the mouthpice if you look at it from the top or the bottom... this would suck for breathing it yourself. Best bet, IMHO is to to try it, practice breathing from and swapping the regulators during the dive. If it works, good, if it doesn't work, you could keep the MV for a stage/pony reg, and consider getting something MR12+something else to cannibalise for Primary or Secondary to go on the V16, with the MR12 and the MV being the off-board regulator.

Just my €0,014.

Gerbs

you're joking, right?

Im pretty sure he must be I mean no sensible person would actually do this. Plus what tech diver uses a Air 2 and Split Fins. Its gotta be a joke. Every notice that joke and stroke rhyme?

Use what you got unless you have extra money to burn. Bungee it and practice with it and the long hose, until you are ultra comfortable doing reg exchanges. Then continue to practice every time out so you have muscle memory.

Eventually you should change to a regular second stage for backup. I prefer mine to be adjustable so it doesn't free flow but when needed can be opened up to breathe easily at depth.

You may also want to rethink the 5' hose and go straight for a 7' hose (You will wind up with one eventually). You can tuck it under shears in a sheath or into the waist strap for now. Until you continue down the path you are going.

Thanks, Peter C.

Hey, azchipka, take note. That's how you answer a question like this. I mean, who said I was a tech diver, dude? I'm an OW diver and videographer.

I put this in this forum because I trust much of the advice of Hogarthian, Tech, DIR, and GUE divers on certain gear issues.

BTW, I believe that by referring to me as a "stroke" that you mean to insult me. Not sure why.

Thanks, Peter C.

No problem. By the way if you like something someone posted hit the thanks button in the lower right corner of their post.

Hey, azchipka, take note. That's how you answer a question like this. I mean, who said I was a tech diver, dude? I'm an OW diver and videographer.

I put this in this forum because I trust much of the advice of Hogarthian, Tech, DIR, and GUE divers on certain gear issues.

BTW, I believe that by referring to me as a "stroke" that you mean to insult me. Not sure why.

This "IS" the internet you will find at least 60% of it is junk information. Learn to ignore those that have nothing better to do then troll around, and grow a thicker skin so it does not bother you. :coffee:

No joking. I've been willing to donate it to an OOA diver all this time. I'd be a hypocrite not to use it myself, wouldn't I?

Yeah and how long are you planning on using it for anyway? Recreationally on a single tank you are between 3 and 6 minutes from the surface and even safety stops are optional anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom