Bungee my cheap octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im pretty sure he must be I mean no sensible person would actually do this. Plus what tech diver uses a Air 2 and Split Fins. Its gotta be a joke. Every notice that joke and stroke rhyme?
that's why i thought it was a joke... air2 and split fins....:shocked2:

BTW, I believe that by referring to me as a "stroke" that you mean to insult me. Not sure why.
It makes him feel better to call people "strokes." My guess is that he just learned the word and like a small child with a new dirty word just can't help repeating himself, even when it makes him look, well ... foolish.:wink:

If you are confident with your octo, bungee it and be done with it. My recreational rig involves 3 regulators, primary (7' hose), backup (bungee), and Air2. Just too lazy to remove the Air2, and put a standard inflator on.

it did sound like a joke, azchipka isnt a jerk for this.. typing makes it harder to distinguish sarcasm... btw are you joking?... are you stroking? ill stop there

Since you revived this thread, no I wasn't joking. Maybe I was baiting/trolling a little bit with the "split fins" comment (although yes, I really do use split fins at the moment). But I really wanted to know if my proposal was reasonable.

In the end, I bought a HOG reg as my primary and put it on a long hose (5' miflex), and I put the Mares Proton (my former primary) on a bungee as my backup instead of the MV. And so, no, I didn't go with the Air2. But if I had, I still would have put my primary reg on a long hose for easy donation.

Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why, if the MV was an acceptable octopus for an OOA buddy in a rec configuration, it is suddenly a hazard under my chin as my backup in a long hose configuration.

Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why, if the MV was an acceptable octopus for an OOA buddy in a rec configuration, it is suddenly a hazard under my chin as my backup in a long hose configuration.

Warning: I am not a HOG diver either:

The only thing really wrong is the color. That bright yellow screams to a clueless panicked buddy to grab it. Only you can decide if it is adequate functionally. Just make sure your buddy clearly understands which 2nd is for him before you dive.

I had a few cheap octo's from way back. Once I started using the long hose / necklace and breathed on them on a regular basis I decided to retire them. They worked, just not all the good.

Feeling indignant today -- and more than a little vindicated -- I thought I'd update this thread...

On one of my first outings with my new config - HOG primary, Proton on the necklace and MV around back on my pony bottle - the Proton started to freeflow uncontrollably around 80 ft. Back on the boat after an early (and scary) ascent, I switched regs so that the Proton was on the pony and the MV on the bungee. That's right - just as suggested in my original post.

So at home before my next dive, I colored the entire faceplate of the MV black and it is now my backup reg. Granted, the Proton could be re-tuned (de-tuned) to serve as a reliable backup also, but the MV has NEVER freeflowed on me at ANY depth - and probably never will. I've practiced with it in this configuration and it is solid.

So screw it, who cares if it was on the yellow hose for my buddy or now on the bungee for me? It has never let me down. To those who gave me constructive advice in this forum, I really appreciate it.

Sometimes you can buy a black cover for really cheap, as in less than $6.00. Although it sounds like yours is now black and ready to go diving again and again :)

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom