Buddy missing on surface - What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is kina' old, but more news...

At least y'all did talk me into Rescue Training. It was postponed after my Inst leg surgery, then my subsequent leg injury, but we're finally both on track for it next month. Surely some good will come of that. I've long had the desire to become a better diver within save parameters - altho my chosen limits may be a bit much for others, but not a scuba lifeguard, yet - these things come up.

While waiting on the Rescue class to finally come around, I went diving in the Florida Keys last month with the other vacation diver from my June incident - and lost him on the Adolphus Bush! We got down to the deck with him following me as planned, did an interim ok check, and I lead thru a popular swim thru there. Got outside and looked - but no Jerry?! :11: Looked back inside the house, then over the top and on each side to see if he'd gone around, then traced my steps back thru to where I'd last seen him. Found a ladderway (stair) headed down to the engine room - which we'd discussed in advance absolutely not doing and decided if he was down there, I'd need a team to recover him. Went on back to the first deck and found him!! Later on the boat we discussed the approaches: "Lead or follow, but if I'm leading - follow close or pull me back. I don't want another lost buddy ever."

A few days later on a shallow night dive, he left me with my head stuck in a cave taking pics of a big turtle and a rare urchin. No Jerry again!! We had that discussion again. At least he's taking the Rescue class with me.

Good job, going for Rescue. When diving with someone I normally work hard on the stay-parallel idea, a buddy team -- I always want my buddy in my field of view, no more than a slight head turn to check that they're there, generally avoid lead-follow since it's way too easy to separate. The toughie is when taking pictures, too, it really takes both attention and patience.

Night dives are just plain interesting -- everyone there, taking pictures, plus there was a bit of current that night. We all made it back, same time, same place, so I guess it worked out well :)

markfm:
Good job, going for Rescue. When diving with someone I normally work hard on the stay-parallel idea, a buddy team -- I always want my buddy in my field of view, no more than a slight head turn to check that they're there, generally avoid lead-follow since it's way too easy to separate. The toughie is when taking pictures, too, it really takes both attention and patience.

Night dives are just plain interesting -- everyone there, taking pictures, plus there was a bit of current that night. We all made it back, same time, same place, so I guess it worked out well :)
I agree Mark, and I certainly have a lot of respect for your diving and judgement.

On the Busch, I was so focused on finding the other door I just didn't turn to look - afraid I might veer off and stir up sediment - until I got thru.

I wish you guys could have seen the turtle and urchin in the cave, but then - I guess he didn't want to be bothered or he wouldn't have been in there. Maybe it was best we didn't have 4 others shooting pics. Urchins are rare there after a die off, perhaps related to pollution. Its nice to see one now and then - always hoping for a re-population.

Swim-through is the one time you might have to go lead-follow. In that case, a clean passage, decent room, exit visible, I might prefer going last, behind my buddy. I have the pony, like you, have eyeball on my buddy.

A good time was had by all -- can't ask for anything more :)

From your two incidents above, Don, I think it might be nice to have a frank conversation with your buddy before diving again. Afterward, if he leaves you again, I'd have to call it Strike Three.

Good luck on your rescue class, Don. If I may be of service, please drop me a line...

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
From your two incidents above, Don, I think it might be nice to have a frank conversation with your buddy before diving again. Afterward, if he leaves you again, I'd have to call it Strike Three.

Good luck on your rescue class, Don. If I may be of service, please drop me a line...

-Grier
Yeah, I know. He's a vacation diver, forgets what he's learned, but has better goals now. He's committed to the Rescue class and a trip to Roatan with me this summer. We also have different approaches to women.

Anyway, I know his mom, and have promised to always bring him back in one piece, so - we'll have to both get better and safer.

Thanks for the offer. :thumb:

DandyDon:
Anyway, my shortcomings were as we've covered: (1) I could have suggested a more detailed dive plan briefing before the dive, as the 2 vacation divers were looking to me as the more experienced. (2) I should have searched the surface first when one diver seemed missing, then organized a safer search. (3) I should been more open to the Rescue course before. So I'll work on improving. :05: Oh yeah, remind or tell other divers that even tho it may seem like I wear a lot of gear and toys - I'm not a DM, or even much of a diver, so work with me please on keeping the dive save. :D
I would say required rather than suggested. As has been stated before, proper planning and communication are some of your best safety tools, and no amount of equipment will overcome lack of them.
Plan your dive, Dive your plan.
Don't forget that plan should include not just what we intend to do, but what to do when, despite best efforts, unintended things happen.

Dive within comfort levels, if you (or anyone in your dive team) are uncomfortable, it is time to turn the dive. If someone makes a mistake, discuss it after (hopefully it was survivable mistake) and address steps to prevent (post dive review is very important learning tool). If you are continueing to dive with buddy who repeats same mistake, then next dive plan should be based on assumption they will repeat this mistake again, until such time as they prove different.
(have had to do this in past with photographer buddy, no matter discussions to contrary, would get into 'photo-trance' mode if saw interesting shot and plan would go out window, without communication on her part. Our solution was that if she had camera, I had to assume she would 'forget' so I paid close attention to what she was doing and followed her lead. Next dive, camera would stay on boat, I led, and we did what I wanted that dive, staying within plan)

Congrats for willingness to admit your mistake and trying to learn from it. Scuba diving (and life in general) should continue to be a learning exerience, no matter how long we have been doing it.

Thanks - was going to complete Rescue course this weekend until winter planned a return, so we moved it back a month.
If you are continueing to dive with buddy who repeats same mistake, then next dive plan should be based on assumption they will repeat this mistake again, until such time as they prove different.
I never speak to the one who left the hole, and don't care if I do. If he ever ends up diving with me again, as a partner, there will be a hard talk about this, and I will stick to him like stink on ****.
animal-smiley-034.gif

The other went to The Florida Keys with me in Dec, and we had a couple of hard after dive talks.
angry-smiley-007.gif
Surprisingly, he's doing the Rescue course with me, so we're both headed in the right direction.
costumed-smiley-003.gif

DandyDon:
Thanks - was going to complete Rescue course this weekend until winter planned a return, so we moved it back a month.

I never speak to the one who left the hole, and don't care if I do. If he ever ends up diving with me again, as a partner, there will be a hard talk about this, and I will stick to him like stink on ****.
animal-smiley-034.gif

The other went to The Florida Keys with me in Dec, and we had a couple of hard after dive talks.
angry-smiley-007.gif
Surprisingly, he's doing the Rescue course with me, so we're both headed in the right direction.
costumed-smiley-003.gif

Again, proper planning and communication is the key. If there was not a specific 'what to do if we are seperated plan' then you both share the blame. If you do not Plan the Dive, then it is impossible to Dive the Plan. Refusing to talk about this will not make him a better diver, nor will being PO'd at him (not to mention what it can do to your blood pressure). If, after calmly and without fingerpointing, he refuses to acknowledge that you should have had a plan, then you can and should (IMAO) refuse to dive with him any more. Assigning blame is not the point, realization of what went wrong and what steps we can take to prevent reoccurance is the lesson to be learned. (again just myAO)

Happy and Safe diving to you,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom