Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trust me Sue, I have read your posts because in some ways I have actually defended you. However, when it starts to look like there actually is a vendetta, my position changes. If you say there is no vendetta, then in theory, that is fine.

I will start out by apologizing because I missed the post (or part of) that said this was a single incident, short lived and everybody was friends afterward. One small infraction and this is your approach. OK. 'nuff said.

Oh and BTW, it is true....I have an attitude. Some people bring it out more than others though.

Thank you! I do not have any vendetta going here at all. I also stated that there are other incidents with other staffers at BD - it was not only Irene (and that is a moot point - as we both agree). Because the vast number of posts that keep going over the weighting question, it seems that it is about her, but I do really try to pull it back to my original question. And I have stated many times I hope this is an unusual occurrence because I (and many) like diving with BD.

I'll agree with your statement if you substitute "personal preference" for "personal physiology". Unless one is an alien-human hybrid or a scuba diving canine, most divers I know are human. Human physiology is what it is, it's why doctors can treat us all in a similar manner. Sure, there are variations caused by unusual conditions, and obviously body weight and density and proportions can vary, which is why doctors can vary medication dosage based on those factors just as a fat person will need more weight than a skinny. But I don't know of any unusual condition that would require a normally proportioned male human to require more than double the normal weight. What could possibly make a human twice as buoyant as another of the same proportions? Could he have alien muscle tissue that is actually filled with helium? Oil-like alien blood that is lighter than water? I just don't get it. There is no X factor, unless you're talking X-files. And if I were an alien, forget about all this SCUBA stuff, I'd simply use my gills.

--------------
EDIT: I have since communicated with James (those alien telepathy devices are sure cool!) and I am convinced that he knows what he is doing in his case. Why, I can't say, as I'm sworn to secrecy about the reasons just like I can't say anything about Area 51. But I take back all my alien comments and I apologize for berating the poor guy, who thankfully must have a good sense of humor since he was perfectly nice, unlike that mean old Irene.

So pretend the Men in Black were here and forget all about it :shocked2:

I think where you are going wrong is trying to quantify it as twice as much which is quantifying the issue as double or 100% difference, in my experience I'd say the variation is probably closer to 25%.

I've witnessed more than one thread on here that ends up boiling down to arguments over 2 lbs of lead, pages and pages with more than one person going on and on about how important dropping 2 lbs is. As I've said before, 2lbs? Who cares, I can vary 2lbs just based on whether or not I pinched a loaf that morning before diving. People are concerned over 2lbs as if it's a life or death issue, meanwhile the same person is 50-60 lbs over weight(body weight not lead) and ignores that and all the health issues.

Last edited:
I've witnessed more than one thread on here that ends up boiling down to arguments over 2 lbs of lead, pages and pages with more than one person going on and on about how important dropping 2 lbs is. As I've said before, 2lbs? Who cares, I can vary 2lbs just based on whether or not I pinched a loaf that morning before diving. People are concerned over 2lbs as if it's a life or death issue, meanwhile the same person is 50-60 lbs over weight(body weight not lead) and ignores that and all the health issues.

Here's something to think about in terms of diving overweighted.

Some years ago I dialed in my weight in a 3 mm suit with a ScubaPro Nighthawk at 8#. That got me to the end of the dive with a perfectly empty BCD, but I frankly was not wild about having to work that last bubble out of my suit so I often went with 10#. I like to distribute that as evenly as possible, using the shoulder trim pockets. I was happy as a clam with 8-10 pounds.

Then I went on a trip with a dive operator who had nothing but 4# weights on the boat. That meant I had to choose between being perfectly weighted with everything on my hips, or grossly overweighted with weight evenly distributed. At that point I had been doing technical diving for over a year, and with steel doubles (etc.), I had gotten used to starting each dive at least 16# overweighted without even using any weights. I therefore opted to use 16#, twice my dialed in perfect weight needs.

So what was it like? I was diving with a lot of air in the wing, but not so much that I couldn't still control things with my breathing. My trim was perfect--I could hold a horizontal position without moving a fin. If I was a tad too buoyant, I could just reach back to the rear dump and let out a puff of air without having to roll around to get the bubble in the right place. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

If I am diving in a situation in which I need added weight, I don't worry as much about how much it is as I do where it is. If I get the distribution right, diving is effortless.

Thank you! I do not have any vendetta going here at all. I also stated that there are other incidents with other staffers at BD - it was not only Irene (and that is a moot point - as we both agree). Because the vast number of posts that keep going over the weighting question, it seems that it is about her, but I do really try to pull it back to my original question. And I have stated many times I hope this is an unusual occurrence because I (and many) like diving with BD.
Which begs the question, do you really want to go back now that this has blown up into such a big deal? What if Irene or someone she knows is reading this thread and just waiting for you to return so she can really sink her teeth into you? After my less-than-wonderful first and only stay at BD, I hesitated to write a report trashing them too much since I didn't know if I'd be back or not. After all, they have a neat month where the DeLoaches are "in residence" and I didn't want to preclude that in the future.

It wasn't until I made a couple more visits, found places that suited me better than Buddy Dive, and met Ned DeLoach when I saw he was also dining at Cactus Blue one night, that I realized I didn't need Buddy Dive and it was OK to publish my report. Unfortunately, by that time, I had gotten over all the stuff that really pissed me off.

The main things were a shabby room, no excuse for such poor maintenance if they had such a thing as a manager occasionally check the room conditions, or if the housekeeping noted the issues. Our refrigerator leaked, leaving a constant puddle on the already slippery floor. I gashed my toe on some moulding that was coming loose, but at least that was cool watching my blood mingle with the kitchen puddle. Whenever we took a shower in the very-poorly ventilated shower, the steam would excape and make those slippery floors slippery again (I must have slipped 3 or 4 times, but I thankfully have a hard head). The water boiler didn't work. The coffee maker didn't work. The bed was so sagging that my back was bent by the end of the week and I threw out my back hanging up my BC to dry on the last day of the trip which made packing and schlepping all the gear back home lots of fun. And I realized then that a fully a/c'd room/condo is my preference, rather than only having the bedroom a/c'd. Also, the lock on the back door was just a interior bathroom door type of lock that I was able to open with a quarter. That made it easier than going around the long way to come in the front door, but I hardly felt safe leaving my laptop and camera gear around when any other guest could walk right in and take it. (I guess it's the same sort of honor system as with the open gear rooms, but why even bother having a lock then?)

I also had big issues with the transportation back to the hotel. J and I were early, but the guy organizing the departure had forgotten to make the coffee they promised would be available that morning. Besides serious caffeine deprivation at 4 a.m., the mosquitos were just waking up hungry and we had to endure them for over an hour sitting in Buddy's open-air "lobby" while waiting for late stragglers. And, at least back then, the lobby was the only place for internet access, a real pain since the monitors were in direct sunlight which made them hard to read and uncomfortably hot.

But I did like the breakfast buffet, all the lunch selections we tried, and the Lion's Den restaurant (which is no longer there, I've heard). The pools were OK. I liked the gear room/dock arrangement better than Capt. Don's set up where you have to walk down stairs with your gear on, and getting tanks for shore diving is much, much easier with the drive-thru by the road than with Capt. Don's where you have to drive all the around from the back, park in a tricky space to maneuver into, walk your tanks back to the truck, and maneuver back out. And the boat diving was the best I've done on Bonaire, though it was hard to get on a boat unless we signed up at the right time since there was a large group that monopolized most of the dive shop's attention. Unfortunately all the good points didn't outweigh our room condition and that terribly organized departure to the airport, so I doubt I'll ever return unless it was some sort of freebie or deal I couldn't pass up. That's why I couldn't figure out why I was being called a BD sockpuppet!

Some years ago I dialed in my weight in a 3 mm suit with a ScubaPro Nighthawk at 8#. That got me to the end of the dive with a perfectly empty BCD, but I frankly was not wild about having to work that last bubble out of my suit so I often went with 10#. I like to distribute that as evenly as possible, using the shoulder trim pockets. I was happy as a clam with 8-10 pounds.

Then I went on a trip with a dive operator who had nothing but 4# weights on the boat. That meant I had to choose between being perfectly weighted with everything on my hips, or grossly overweighted with weight evenly distributed. At that point I had been doing technical diving for over a year, and with steel doubles (etc.), I had gotten used to starting each dive at least 16# overweighted without even using any weights. I therefore opted to use 16#, twice my dialed in perfect weight needs.

So what was it like? I was diving with a lot of air in the wing, but not so much that I couldn't still control things with my breathing. My trim was perfect--I could hold a horizontal position without moving a fin. If I was a tad too buoyant, I could just reach back to the rear dump and let out a puff of air without having to roll around to get the bubble in the right place. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

If I am diving in a situation in which I need added weight, I don't worry as much about how much it is as I do where it is. If I get the distribution right, diving is effortless.

Whew, I thought for sure your story was going to end with how you tragically died as a result of the extra weight.
yeah.gif

Which begs the question, do you really want to go back now that this has blown up into such a big deal? What if Irene or someone she knows is reading this thread and just waiting for you to return so she can really sink her teeth into you?

Very good point. Irene might bide her time, waiting for just the right moment, and then take you through a tight swim thru and warhammer you. Oh, sweet revenge...

Reminds me of a night dive I did a few years ago. Some minutes into the dive I came across a weight belt that had been dropped and since it was some distance from the boat I didn't feel like taking it back and aborting the dive and it was too far from the boat to find it again easily so I just looped it around the clip of my own weight belt and topped off my wing. I did the whole dive with an ADDITIONAL 26lbs over and above what I normally carry.
I had no problems to maintain buoyancy control and my SAC at the end of the dive was no different from usual.

Which begs the question, do you really want to go back now that this has blown up into such a big deal?

Before posting I had pretty much decided if we return to Bonaire I would be looking for another option. Not so much because of our experiences there (I figured it would have turned out to be an unusual circumstance) but simply because I have been there 4 times and would like to try some where else. I do know that I won't go any time around Carnival again as I do think that might be part of the issue.

Before posting I had pretty much decided if we return to Bonaire I would be looking for another option. Not so much because of our experiences there (I figured it would have turned out to be an unusual circumstance) but simply because I have been there 4 times and would like to try some where else. I do know that I won't go any time around Carnival again as I do think that might be part of the issue.
Capt. Don's is pretty much the same set up as Buddy Dive, pretty much the same house reef, etc. It's a toss-up between the two, but Capt. Don's seems to hire more Americans, hence more American hospitality. They were just starting to break ground on a new dive facility and new rooms when we were there last (2009) so I think that project might be done by now and the place is hopefully even better. Divi always seems too run-down, Plaza sounds like a hassle for getting tanks for shore dives, but boat diving is supposedly good there, and Harbor Village would exceed my budget. Den Laman is excellent for shore divers, but you'd be boat diving with BDA and that sucked so bad we blew off 3 boat dives of our 6-package on our first stay there and went shore-dive only the next time.

Were I to go again and not stay at Den Laman or its equivalent, I'd probably decide between Capt. Don's and Plaza. Ever since J's ankle break, however, we've sort of gravitated back to Cozumel and we're heading there again in April. I'm starting to miss Bonaire badly, though, so that might be the place if we can make a trip this winter.

No matter what happens on the surface, it's all the same when you're underwater!

Wow, 20 pages. Brave visitor dares to criticize BD. Many loyal BD fans attack OP. OP's observations substantiated by at least one other observer and appear based, at least in part, in reality. Turns out BD is a fine place that may occasionally have problems. There are many other great places on Bonaire, they probably have occasional problems too. I've actually always had a perfectly good time with BDA and am very partial to Bari Reef. There you go.

Enjoy your trip to Bonaire, we have X3, the diving is fantastic.

Good diving, Craig

That's why I couldn't figure out why I was being called a BD sockpuppet!

Cause calling someone a sock puppet ( or any other of a series of pet adjectives) is a lot easier intellectually, than dealing with what you are actually saying? Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom