Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never had a problem with ANY dive op as far lead is concerned. I tell them that I have 3 plans. 1. normal diving in 77, 78 degree temps with my 3 mil I need 12lbs. 2, If after 3 days of 4 dives a day I need to put on a 3 mil shortie so I need 2 more lbs. Then 3, you throw in a night dive, I want to put on a 5/3 mil hooded vest and yes I ask for additional weight. I always ask for this when my week starts so I don't have to bother anyone for the rest of the trip. I thought it was just courtesy. All of the DM's thanked me for the heads up and didn't have to bother them for the rest of trip. Not like I was taking the lead with me on the plane home.

Several times over the years I have have the op roll their eyes, and question my weight request. I simply explained that I am continually experimenting with weighting and will probably be trading weight back mid week for lighter. Never been a real issue.

I do find that such questioning early on helped motivate me to keep dropping weight, til I reach a point I went too far, and then add just a 2#. I have never stopped playing with this balance.

On Bonaire in just a skin my 6# plate is more than enough, while 3 weeks ago in Coz, in a 3mm I found the 6# plate plus 6# of lead was plenty. Every one of us has differing needs and comfort levels, and I enjoy chasing that edge to where I have just enough weight to do the dive, but I dive with others who want a little extra lead. In the end it is what makes you the most comfortable and gives you the needed control at all points during your dive.

But this thread is really not started to discuss weighting as much as it is about attitude and became an exercise in tolerance for others who make different choices than we have.

I find it interesting how someone states their displeasure with the service they received and some of the responses go right to attacking the OP by nit-picking their statements apart. There is no right or wrong with the OP's opinion. Their opinion is their opinion and that is how they "perceived" the experience in question. It is apparent that there were some others that agreed with the OP by confirming similar issues & complaints. I can understand clarifying the OP's posts, but nitpicking just to argue is not really necessary. That is what I have been seeing on this thread or at least that is my perception. Remember perception and intent are always 2 different animals. More arguments have been started over perception vs intent but that is another subject.

I too have an opinion on the subject.

1) The operator is in the service industry, nothing more, nothing less. The employees must learn how to deal with all sorts of people, both competent, incompetent and diver's with and without attitudes.
2) The employees need to learn to question people in a positive, non-threatening manner if they suspect a potential problem. This would be one of the key issues in this particular situation. This was poor customer service and no matter how frustrated they were, they need to learn how to handle it or find another career. They just lost a customer over this "attitude" and several more by the looks of the other posts. You have to know how to read people and respond/question them in such a way that it is a positive experience. It can be done. So in my opinion this was purely poor customer service.
3) Why bust someone because they mentioned there was no mask defog? We are traveling and have a lot to pack. Mask defog is an industry standard to be on a boat. Some even use watered down baby shampoo in a spray bottle. This is a legitimate complaint. You can spit in your mask all you want but I am aware of several people who ended up with pinkeye due to the bacteria in their mouth. Again, customer service.

In the end, this operator will lose many potential customers due to the fact that several people agreed with and confirmed they had similar experiences. So the market will take care of itself. You can defend this poor customer service with attitude, call us yankees, whatever you want. The bottom line is that this operator will not benefit as well as those with good customer service who provide a positive experience. After all, the customers are the ones with the money that the operators need.

I wish I lived in a place where nobody made errors and nobody had off days and nothing every impacted my outward appearance and nobody ever misunderstood something I said and I was not impacted by rude customers.

Last edited:
Maybe not. But it does make you either a drysuit diver or an overweighted diver.

So if James is not wearing a dry suit he must be overweighted? How much more training and experience do you think it will take for him to get his weighting correct?

Something Americans need to realize is that many employees of the various outfits on Bonaire do not speak English as their first language.

They do not intend to be rude, they are translating, in their head, from their natal tongue, into English, which is an annoying language to begin with.

Sometimes the question or comment comes across as rude due to the construction.

Something Americans need to realize is that many employees of the various outfits on Bonaire do not speak English as their first language.

They do not intend to be rude, they are translating, in their head, from their natal tongue, into English, which is an annoying language to begin with.

Sometimes the question or comment comes across as rude due to the construction.

Nope - this was not a language issue. All involved had a full command of the language.

So if James is not wearing a dry suit he must be overweighted? How much more training and experience do you think it will take for him to get his weighting correct?
As gypsyjim noted above, it's all about individual comfort. If James prefers to be overweighted on his dives, that's entirely his business. Who am I to tell him that he can't dive overweighted?

A good response to Irene would have been, "Yes, I know I'm overweighted, but I really like diving with the extra weight because ...". Not sure what would fit the ellipsis, but I guess that's where the subjectivity comes to play. For instance, if I'm diving with someone who I think might have a underweighting issue, I might carry extra weight so that I have spares to donate. I realize that will impact my diving by making it less efficient, but at least I'm aware of the consequences. I can only imagine that James has his reasons to dive overweighted, has the knowledge to know how it negatively impacts his diving, and has the skills and experience to compensate for the impact. Or at least I hope that's the case.

For instance, men have a disproportionate amount of muscle mass, hence density, in their legs. When I float in my pool, it's my legs that are first to sink, so I have to compensate by inflating my lungs and using muscle tension to keep my legs on the surface. On the other hand, a legless diver would be more buoyant and need more weight to sink relative to another male diver of the same body weight that has legs. If James, for instance, has prosthetic legs made of buoyant material, that could also explain the need for 26 lbs to sink him in a 3mm.

Not sure if further training can help at this point. Some people get stuck in their ways. Bad habits are hard to break and overweighting, as I mentioned in an earlier post, is one of the most prevalent bad habits among divers. Only after several hundred dives not caring about being overweighted (it's worse coming to warm water from a cold-water background), I finally took heed of the advice of far more experienced warm-water divers and, just like gypsyjim, made myself do with less and less, to the point where I finally became too light. For me, that was the 10 lb mark. I use 12 lbs because I want to be able to hold my safety stop or 10' stop when my AL 80 drops below 500 psi. However, as I get in better shape, I anticipate being able to drop at least another pound or two.

It wasn't extra training that caused me to rethink my being overweighted, it was a conscious effort to figure out why I thought I needed the extra weight, then made sure I was doing everything I could to ditch the weight, i.e. making sure I had no trapped air and keeping my trim horizontal and balanced. It does take time and effort to get it right and perhaps some people don't believe it's worth it. Still, I'm happy I got it right. Now if I could only improve my air consumption...

Nope - this was not a language issue. All involved had a full command of the language.

So what explanation are you willing to accept as a possibility or are you just hell bent on making her out to be a bitch? I thought all you wanted to know was if others had seen any issues with service at BD....you seem awfully quick to cast stones so I am starting to wonder what your intentions really are. You have no way of knowing what Irene's English capabilities are with 100% certainty which is what your post clearly states.

So what explanation are you willing to accept as a possibility or are you just hell bent on making her out to be a bitch? I thought all you wanted to know was if others had seen any issues with service at BD....you seem awfully quick to cast stones so I am starting to wonder what your intentions really are. You have no way of knowing what Irene's English capabilities are with 100% certainty which is what your post clearly states.
I've found lots of Dutch people can seem stand-offish until they've had a few beers in them. Maybe BD needs a policy of breakfast beers for its staff?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom