Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As we check every tank we pick up from BD (or anywhere else) when we grab them, and analyze the Nitrox, then put them in the trucks and go shore diving we have encountered none of these issues. I have heard staff make sarcastic remarks from time to time, that were less than sensitive, but nothing overtly harsh. I have also seen plenty of tourists say less than sensitive things to staff, and heard both sides get bent out of shape. some folks just rub each other the wrong way, and conflicts arrise that need not be.

As when I am on Bonaire, I am there to enjoy my limited free time and dive on some of the most gorgeous reefs I have ever seen, I try not to get bent out of shape myself, and just roll with the punches. My tounge was nearly bleeding at times during my trip to Coz a few weeks ago, because of resort and staff issues, but I was not going to let anything damage my enjoyment of the diving! Period.

Sue had a question and asked it. Others had questions for her, and they asked also. Sort of what the board is all about, I think. Yes, I have read several posts here that were less than sympathetic, but charges of sock puppets and such are the only posts that I have read that were truly harsh and accusatory. Questioning and seeking clarity, and offering opinion are no out of line, as long as the tone is civil. IMO.

If there are issues developing at BD I am sure with all the SB members who visit, stay or in other ways use BD, we will hear more in time to come. If things improve i am sure we will hear of that too.

Mike - I'm just telling you what I was told. She said that in loading the tanks they grasp the valve and open it slightly.

I believe the tanks were left on the boat from the previous boat usage. We were on the "Buddy Dive" and that boat was not used every day. So it is possible the tanks were on for a couple of days. No I didn't listen for leaks.

And I agree with "divers for whom short fills become a safety issue need to seriously reassess their diving practices." but there are all kind of divers, and all kinds of distractions. I do feel it is the diver's fault if they enter with a less than full tank.

After seeing so many references in this thread (and others) to weighting, I felt this was worth adding to the discussion.

There is an obvious difference between the person that hasn't been diving much; is unsure; hems and haws when asked how much lead they need. Contrast this with the person that matter-of-fact states with surety that they need "XX" pounds of lead.

Like so many things in life, there are no absolutes. Making a judgement call on a diver's skill and true needs just on a single scrap of information - for example, pounds of lead - may lead to an incorrect assessment.

In tropical diving, I need 26 pounds of lead. Not 25 lbs, not 24 lbs, I need 26 lbs. I prefer to think this doesn't make me an incompetent diver.

All the best, James

I thought the earlier post cleared up the short fill "crisis" with the explanation that there were other tanks available, which were used for the diving..... seems a non-issue.....

In tropical diving, I need 26 pounds of lead. Not 25 lbs, not 24 lbs, I need 26 lbs. I prefer to think this doesn't make me an incompetent diver.

But when the dive op looks at you a little funny and asks why or says something to the effect that is an lot of lead, what do you say?

I agree that the issue is not directly the amount of lead. But when the requirement is somewhat unusual, I think the dive op would be remiss to simply provide the lead without question. The answer could well be, "that is what the instructor gave me last week when I was certified."

FWIW, I've never had any push-back or issues with a dive op when I request lead. This includes my last experience with Buddy Dive, about 2 years ago.

It may be my affect - polite and matter of fact, as well as how granular the request is - "I'd like two fives, and four fours please".

All the best, James

FWIW, I've never had any push-back or issues with a dive op when I request lead. This includes my last experience with Buddy Dive, about 2 years ago.

It may be my affect - polite and matter of fact, as well as how granular the request is - "I'd like two fives, and four fours please".

All the best, James

Come to think of it, I have never had a problem either asking for 4 threes and 5 twos. But I usually have two weight belts in my hands when I do that.

I have never had a problem with ANY dive op as far lead is concerned. I tell them that I have 3 plans. 1. normal diving in 77, 78 degree temps with my 3 mil I need 12lbs. 2, If after 3 days of 4 dives a day I need to put on a 3 mil shortie so I need 2 more lbs. Then 3, you throw in a night dive, I want to put on a 5/3 mil hooded vest and yes I ask for additional weight. I always ask for this when my week starts so I don't have to bother anyone for the rest of the trip. I thought it was just courtesy. All of the DM's thanked me for the heads up and didn't have to bother them for the rest of trip. Not like I was taking the lead with me on the plane home.

Maybe not. But it does make you either a drysuit diver or an overweighted diver.

Back
Top Bottom