Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But when the dive op looks at you a little funny and asks why or says something to the effect that is an lot of lead, what do you say?

I agree that the issue is not directly the amount of lead. But when the requirement is somewhat unusual, I think the dive op would be remiss to simply provide the lead without question. The answer could well be, "that is what the instructor gave me last week when I was certified."

The dive master is remiss for not simply asking "how many dives have you made using that amount of weight?"

Answer such as:
"None"
"Three"
"Three hundred"
'Three thousand"

might give the DM a legitimate amount of information to base their next sentence on instead of thinking every diver is just a moron.

I've gone through this weight issue so many times over the years with my wife. She is fit and looks it but requires a bit more weight then someone might expect. She's rescue diver and taken peak buoyancy twice, been diving for 10 years. I've witnessed every iteration of divemaster, from here is your weight, to hmmm that's a lot of weight for you, a quick comment or question later... here is your weight... to the a-hole who feels the need to prove he owns a pair and lets his ego get in the way of everything else and wants a pissing match over weights. I have no tolerance for the weight Natzis. Hand me the weights and shut up. You really feel the need to stand on a dive boat and argue about weights? You really think you're such a monumental genius you're the first person in over 10 years of us diving that came up with the idea that she might be over-weighted? You really think you're that much of a superstar and your clients are that freak'n ignorant? If divemasters like this are so smart, how long does it take for them to realize that there is a large variety of circumstances that have to do with body composition and it's not 100% about wet suit or salt or fresh water.

As a newbie to SB it appears that although I used paragraphs, etc, in my previous posts when it actually posted in just bunched up. This is just a test.

As a newbie to SB it appears that although I used paragraphs, etc, in my previous posts when it actually posted in just bunched up. This is just a test.

LOL there are many worse "sins" evident in some of the posts you will see here. I certainly would not sweat it. :)

Must be a trick that I don't see. There is a paragraph beginning right now. At any rate, this tread has deteriorated to a forum on two much, two little, not enough, weight. As a final thought, let me say two things. First, Irene's first comment when asked for 24lbs was totally derogatory, condescending, or whatever word you would like to use, and it went down hill fast. End of story. Second, the person with 24 lbs seemed competent in the water. No crashing in reefs,etc. And Mossman, I don't find it in my purview to question divers that are not under my supervision. Remember, I am just a guest, as was Mr. 24lb. and I am not obsessed with how much weight someone uses. I try not to enter the twilight zone. New paragraph maybe. Thanks to those that really answered Sue's original question. It appears that something has been amiss at BD since at least November. I look forward to some feedback on future Buddy Dive guests. I hope it was just an anomaly. We now return control of your forum to the weight control crowd.

Godwin's Law anybody? I do not think it has been invoked yet.

From Google: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches"

Interesting - never heard that one but it has proven to be true here. (Will have to watch for it in the future.)

Definitely watch for it because it is very real and reliable.

Must be a trick that I don't see. There is a paragraph beginning right now. At any rate, this tread has deteriorated to a forum on two much, two little, not enough, weight. As a final thought, let me say two things. First, Irene's first comment when asked for 24lbs was totally derogatory, condescending, or whatever word you would like to use, and it went down hill fast. End of story. Second, the person with 24 lbs seemed competent in the water. No crashing in reefs,etc. And Mossman, I don't find it in my purview to question divers that are not under my supervision. Remember, I am just a guest, as was Mr. 24lb. and I am not obsessed with how much weight someone uses. I try not to enter the twilight zone. New paragraph maybe. Thanks to those that really answered Sue's original question. It appears that something has been amiss at BD since at least November. I look forward to some feedback on future Buddy Dive guests. I hope it was just an anomaly. We now return control of your forum to the weight control crowd.

Too bad you can't recall or at least paraphrase the comment. That would give all the opportunity to judge for themselves the best description.

I have no doubt that Irene's handling of the situation was lacking to some degree. But I am really confused as to how the incident progressed and how it could have gotten to the point where Sue & her buddy were joking about it later with Irene yet started this thread with the accusation of "...they were condescending, arrogant and down right nasty...."

You might want to post your paragraphing problem in the site support forum. It is probably something in your settings that can be changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom