Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cause calling someone a sock puppet ( or any other of a series of pet adjectives) is a lot easier intellectually, than dealing with what you are actually saying? Just a thought.
Very good. Could not have said it better.

Maybe not. But it does make you either a drysuit diver or an overweighted diver.

So if James is not wearing a dry suit he must be overweighted? How much more training and experience do you think it will take for him to get his weighting correct?

:spit:

Cause calling someone a sock puppet ( or any other of a series of pet adjectives) is a lot easier intellectually, than dealing with what you are actually saying? Just a thought.

The economy is down world-wide. The discretionary spending is waaay down. There's no doubt that the ops are feeling the pinch. Maybe they had to cut salaries. Maybe they announced layoffs. Maybe they did lay-offs, and everyone has to do more. Whatever happened, it changed the demeanor of the staff (per OP and another) and the op is showing less amenities and attention to details.

It doesn't mean Buddy's cannot turn it around and become better, but the trend analysis is not Buddy's Dive friend. We have choices, and why go somewhere where there may be a bad attitude?

The economy is down world-wide. The discretionary spending is waaay down. There's no doubt that the ops are feeling the pinch. Maybe they had to cut salaries. Maybe they announced layoffs. Maybe they did lay-offs, and everyone has to do more.

That's a good point - and was the sort of post I was looking for from my first post. You are correct as this could be a factor.

The economy is down world-wide. The discretionary spending is waaay down. There's no doubt that the ops are feeling the pinch. Maybe they had to cut salaries. Maybe they announced layoffs. Maybe they did lay-offs, and everyone has to do more. Whatever happened, it changed the demeanor of the staff (per OP and another) and the op is showing less amenities and attention to details.

It doesn't mean Buddy's cannot turn it around and become better, but the trend analysis is not Buddy's Dive friend. We have choices, and why go somewhere where there may be a bad attitude?

We will see. I did not pick BD for the upcoming trip in July; we are simply joining friends who found their best package this year at BD.

Like others we will miss the Lion's Den restaurant, as even staying off resort we usually ate there at least once each visit. and yes, some of DB's rooms had been showing the effects of time on our last visit there, but heavy wear and tear seems to be an on going problem in the tropics.

Need of upgrading and remedial efforts sure was evident this last Feb at the resort we stayed at on Coz. (this AI resorts's condition made BD look nearly new, in comparison) I constructed my own locking system for the windows on the day we arrived, and it took my 'accidentally' tripping (in the presence of a staff member), and ripping the handrail to the second floor right off the structure, to get the staff to address the rotting wood. As I said, the tropics can be a harsh environment, and makes continual maintanence a serious issue.

woops that was supposed to be a smiley

When it comes to smiley's this one is by far my favorite! :gas:

04.gif

So how would James explain why he defies the laws of physics by needing 26 lbs for tropical diving, assuming my earlier assumption of buoyant prosthetics isn't correct? An extremely buoyant camera? Elevator booties with 6" foam rubber heels? Three lungs?

Some people just need more weight than others. You're an experienced diver ... I'm surprised that concept eludes you.

My alpha dive buddy is a woman who weighs less than half what I do ... and needs more weight to sink in exactly the same model wetsuit that I use on our tropical trips. I'm fat ... she's not. In a pool, wearing nothing but a bathing suit, I sink like a rock ... while under the same conditions, she needs lead on a belt to do an underwater swim. So how does "physics" explain that?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver You make my point from my previous post. Thanks. Over 60 years of teaching aguatic sports I have found there are fat people that sink and skinny people that bob like a cork. I wish I could post the theme from Twilight zone here. It is so applicable. Either that or a remedial course in English. Actually the Twilight theme is probably better.

Because there may be a bad attitude anywhere we go? Even in Thailand, where everyone is forced to smile, I've sensed attitude. Attidude is human.

Need of upgrading and remedial efforts sure was evident this last Feb at the resort we stayed at on Coz. (this AI resorts's condition made BD look nearly new, in comparison) I constructed my own locking system for the windows on the day we arrived, and it took my 'accidentally' tripping (in the presence of a staff member), and ripping the handrail to the second floor right off the structure, to get the staff to address the rotting wood. As I said, the tropics can be a harsh environment, and makes continual maintanence a serious issue.
Please tell me that's not the Occidental Grand. The Cozumel Palace was in great shape back in June, but we're "downsizing" this year to the OG.

Hopefully you didn't have to fall down to the first floor when you ripped out the handrail, though I totally appreciate the way you make your point. With all the slipping and banging my head on wet marble floors that I've done in the past, you'd think I'd have the sense to do it in front of hotel staff.

Some people just need more weight than others. You're an experienced diver ... I'm surprised that concept eludes you.
I know the laws of physics and my undergraduate degree is in physiology. You're an intelligent man, I'm surprised concepts of physics and physiology elude you.

Change your statement to "some people just prefer more weight than others" and I'll agree wholeheartedly.

NWGratefulDiver You make my point from my previous post. Thanks. Over 60 years of teaching aguatic sports I have found there are fat people that sink and skinny people that bob like a cork. I wish I could post the theme from Twilight zone here. It is so applicable. Either that or a remedial course in English. Actually the Twilight theme is probably better.
Twilight Zone because of the alien physiology and physics involved? Or do people just need remedial courses in physics and physiology?

Buoyancy is a physical construct. It takes a certain amount of weight to displace a diver's buoyancy. Archimedes figured that out way before SCUBA was invented. So if you agree with Archimedes, you must think that some human beings are filled with air instead of the same muscle, fat, organ, and bone tissues that other humans are made of. Otherwise, bone is bone. Muscle is muscle. Organs are organs. And fat is fat. Take an individual's BMI and body weight, factor in buoyancy characteristics of the thermal protection, and you can compute how much weight it will take to sink that person. If that person fails to sink, then you can start playing your Twilight Zone theme.

(BTW, I always suspected J was an alien because she thinks she needs more weight than she should in order to complete her dives. When she got bitten by a moray and bled green blood, I found the truth! Please keep this on Scubaboard, though, as I don't want the Men in Black to find out we know.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom