BSAC avoids annual VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow

“A real gem of a product”

“...it allows you to conserve expensive mixed gases for what they are intended rather than SMB inflation.”

0.1 litre
Not only that, it turns an smb into something that fits nicely in a drysuit pocket, leaving space for other items, into something that does not.
I think the real market (apart from people that want gadgets for the sake of it) is ccr divers, for whom orally inflating an smb is a pain, and who can't inflate from exhaust (without bailing out). But I reckon inflating from a spare inflation hose or disconnected drysuit hose is a much better option.

I use one, actually I'm on my second - because after 500 uses teh SMB started to leak

No matter what depth you fire it, it arrives on the surface fully inflated

It's an easy shoot, hold the spool/reel in on hand and give the bottle a quick twist with the other and it's off.

I know this is fantastic in high currents, and my preferred method out of all of the methods. And as I teach them I use them all.

The other great advantage is the weight. When a DIR diver becomes a bore at the surface you can throw it at them knowing it will hurt :wink:

I think the real market (apart from people that want gadgets for the sake of it) is ccr divers, for whom orally inflating an smb is a pain, and who can't inflate from exhaust (without bailing out). But I reckon inflating from a spare inflation hose or disconnected drysuit hose is a much better option.

They were popular in the UK at one time. I agree that for the CCR user they are an advantage. Disconnecting the drysuit hose means you get a small amount of water in when reconnecting and a "spare" hose might be considered a potential failure point by some ultra Hogarthian types. In reality they are not a bad device, you open just enough to get the SMB to stand up then open fully to launch it. No need to use a 2nd stage and risk a free flow or any other hassle. The little tank is often called a "crack bottle" in the UK (you crack it open - not smoke it :))

The Buddy BC had the option to fit them as an "emergency" source of buoyant gas. In this application they were often called suicide bottles since opening one unintentionally would cause an uncontrolled ascent.

I don't see any issue with the dSMB version it certainly is not a bad idea. The CO2 versions are based on the same principle but are one-shot and we really have enough CO2 in the world now.

I use one, actually I'm on my second - because after 500 uses teh SMB started to leak

No matter what depth you fire it, it arrives on the surface fully inflated

It's an easy shoot, hold the spool/reel in on hand and give the bottle a quick twist with the other and it's off.

I know this is fantastic in high currents, and my preferred method out of all of the methods. And as I teach them I use them all.

The other great advantage is the weight. When a DIR diver becomes a bore at the surface you can throw it at them knowing it will hurt :wink:

I hope you look after the tank!

I hope you look after the tank!

Officially Inspected yearly (I clean internally monthly) No Hydro because by the 5 year mark the DSMB itself will be out of service (the heat, and frequent use cause the interior coating to degrade and it leaks)

The outside paint, like all our cylinders is regularly refreshed because our seawater is very saline (due to evaporation and desalination plants) Mine get touched up and then bi annually sponge blasted and fully re painted

Isnt a visual a requirement to assess the suitability of a tank for hydro? That should knock off the cost of VIP at hydro time. Maybe I will start giving VIP's free period.. hmm

So the UK standard is now every 5 years.

So since there is to my knowledge no such standard or law in the USA, how does it get changed? Who would authorize such a change?
Each shop would just have to start accepting VIPs from 4 years and 11 months prior.

Self regulating industry.

How would you handle partial pressure blending joe divers o2 clean deco bottle on its 4th year of service since inspection or cleaning?

Back
Top Bottom