BSAC avoids annual VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
WOW!!!!!!!!
  • Five years between cylinder visual inspections
  • Five years between full inspections
So you do VIP and Hydro at the same time.
Will be very convenient to divers. You obviously can VIP earlier if you suspect there is an issue with the tank.

WOW!!!!!!!!
  • Five years between cylinder visual inspections
  • Five years between full inspections
So you do VIP and Hydro at the same time.
Will be very convenient to divers. You obviously can VIP earlier if you suspect there is an issue with the tank.

which is what most tech divers do anyway, so there's that

Simple as a Club, but how can shops make money then?
Really think shops make significant money on a VIP? A VIP cost $15, includes a air fill that normally costs $7 , new o ring , cristolube on threads to prevent valve getting stuck on tank. If the tank requires a eddy test , which takes more time, the price stays the same. So the shop makes a big $8 on a once a year service that insures that the tank is dry inside and safe to use. Really ?

Looks like they did some good legwork!

Wonder if we can leverage the precedent, Canada is still pretty cosy with the Crown.

Those making money within our hobby off high profit margin and unecessary annual VIPs would complain though.

Cameron

FWIW I'm not against any shops. In fact I give them business when I can.
If there is no evidence that annual VIPs increase safety, then hopefully the practice can be revised.

VIPs in my area cost $25.

@oly5050user $25 in my area, fill not included, and eddy current testing is never included in that price, nor should it.
The 2-3 drops of lube for the first couple of threads don't add up to any more than maybe $0.05 for the shop, same with the cost of the o-ring, and the sticker.

Even at $15 with a fill, they're making money. It takes 10 minutes unless something is wrong, and while annual vips are a good idea if you're filling on a boat in the ocean which is how they started, it shouldn't be a requirement because it is entirely unnecessary for the vast majority of tanks

@oly5050user $25 in my area, fill not included, and eddy current testing is never included in that price, nor should it.
The 2-3 drops of lube for the first couple of threads don't add up to any more than maybe $0.05 for the shop, same with the cost of the o-ring, and the sticker.

Even at $15 with a fill, they're making money. It takes 10 minutes unless something is wrong, and while annual vips are a good idea if you're filling on a boat in the ocean which is how they started, it shouldn't be a requirement because it is entirely unnecessary for the vast majority of tanks
You left out the cost of the eddy machine and laptop connected to it and the cost to pay employee to do the work. Dive shop is in business to make money, you really think the $8 it makes before expenses really is too much money ?

Back
Top Bottom