Bringing my own live aboard inflatable life vest ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, I am not in the camp that brings my own PFD onto a liveaboard or day boat. My guess (and hope!) is that no one had an issue. However, based on the OP's experience on where they have seen PFDs store and located, that is what warranted the idea to them to begin with. If that helps the OP sleep better at night, I say go for it. However, I suppose you could say I wouldn't know until it became a problem and this is a problem that I would want to prevent or never find out. That is easily mitigated by bringing your own PFD. It is a personal risk assessment. For what it's worth, if someone chooses to bring their own PFD on the boat, it's fine by me. I don't pass any judgement on them, or anyone that travels with a CO detector, PLB, etc.

Someone won't need it until they need it. The next question is, where do we draw the line when it comes to "just in case" items? :)

Your last sentence is exactly the question. Do you sacrifice precious luggage weight and space for an item that might be needed once in (to make up a number) 10,000 liveaboard trips? There are a lot of boats out there every single day, meaning maybe a thousand people worldwide at any given time, all year, every year. Even if on average, there is one LOB abandon-ship per year somewhere in the world, are PFDs even an issue? I like to quantify risks a little more than this before I bring along safety gear.

I’ve been on those overloaded Indonesian ferries where they basically shut everyone inside, with no obvious escape route except the way we were herded in. Now that was scary.

Funny, I was just thinking that I'd be more likely to go on one of those ferries if I had my own PFD, so handy.

I'm really starting to like the idea and the cost certainly isn't prohibitive.

How much does it weigh?

Has anyone been on a boat that sank? The fastest one I saw sink was a speed boat that capsized. To be in a cabin and have to worry about the boat suddenly sinking the boat would pretty much need to split in half through the cabin. In short, you have time. Boats don't sink like planes fall out of the sky.

There should be no reason you need your own. If it is any reasonable LOB they have things covered. If this is your uncle Frank's buddies cabin cruiser that he had to borrow the battery out of your car to start it, it may not be a bad idea.

And I have seen passengers in an airport (Charlotte, NC) wearing a parachute. I did look it up, that is an approved carry on. Just need to de-activate the altitude deployment system.

Just be aware of your surroundings, pay attention to the briefing, you don't need to waste your weight limits traveling with your own life jacket. Besides, the CO2 canisters can't fly with you.

I do keep the wallet, cell phone, and car keys in a small waterproof box. That is pretty much my ditch bag. Passport if applicable. That is enough stuff to get me home.

As for the PLB comment a few pages back, depends on if you dive with it (good), or leave it on the boat (pointless). Dive with it, you can use it to help the boat find you. Leave it on the boat in case the boat breaks down, you are planning on being on a really crappy boat.

Serious question - if you’re so worried about a liveaboard’s life jacket offerings that you’ve bought your own, why are you even going on the boat in the first place?

It's prudence, just like buying a little more insurance coverage. Much of the world's best diving is in 2nd or 3rd world locations, where safety standards aren't quite what you may be used to in the USA, so instead of relying on the 'local' standards (or lack thereof) I'm upping my personal protection plans. it's just another item in a long list of safety/preventative items with nominal cost that if I just need it once in my entire life it will have more than paid for itself.

I suppose for a similar reason that those in the PLB thread are getting prepared.

@scubafanatic, well, you own it now. Why not take it, regardless what anyone else says. Sure the life jackets on liveaboards are more often in your room but if a person is sleeping and the boat is going down fast, you could throw it on and grab the lob's, as well. Then if somehow you lose theirs or you have to climb through a hole or something, you still have a lifevest.

Exactly!

Funny, I was just thinking that I'd be more likely to go on one of those ferries if I had my own PFD, so handy.

I'm really starting to like the idea and the cost certainly isn't prohibitive.

How much does it weigh?

Just weighed it @ 2 lbs, Leisurepro may still have it on sale.

What a bunch of weirdos.

Of course you should bring it, alongside your PLB, Lifeline radio, CO detector, and shampoo, and anything else that makes you feel good on the liveaboard. Don't listen to the naysayers, you are one of the few folks I know that dives prepared.

I like the idea of a ditch bag in your room with your ID, life vest, PLB, and clean skivvies. Everything you need to get home easily when your liveaboard sinks.

It's all part of my version of 'comfort food'....but 'comfort gear'. Now that you mention it, I do have a cool 'camo colored' Watershed dry bag for such essentials, but I doubt you are surprised to hear that. :)

The Texas Flower Gardens/ SPREE were good teachers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom