Live Aboard Packing- What did you not bring that you wished you had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies. I consider Lycra socks to be part of my regular scuba gear, but I think I actually prefer regular cotton ankle socks though. Rinsing them along with my peed in wetsuit in the camera or mask bucket is a must after the dive is important or they get pretty rank after a couple of dives and I will find a place to hang them up in the dining area...my feet don't stink anyway...:wink::wink::wink:

On trips that we are not in or near a town with scuba shops, I travel with the "dive shop in a box" with just about any repair articles necessary for typical gear issues.

Great suggestion on the "Go Bag" We love night dives so clipping a dive light on the bag will be easy. Maybe throw in shorts and a t-shirt too.

Keep them coming please, thanks again for the responses!!

Jay

You take all of these on a liveaboard trip?

Sure. Why wouldn't I ?

Extra mask defog and ear drops. On my last few trips, I've noticed that the boat hasn't had such items available on the dive deck as they typically have in the past, and a lot of folks who didn't bring any were borrowing from my supply. I was to happy to share but glad I had brought a good supply on board!

Thanks for the replies. I consider Lycra socks to be part of my regular scuba gear, but I think I actually prefer regular cotton ankle socks though. Rinsing them along with my peed in wetsuit in the camera or mask bucket is a must after the dive ...

Jay
I really hope you were joking about this. Most LOBs will have someplace to rinse your "peed in wetsuit" but the camera rinse tank or mask bucket are most definitely not the places to do it. If you have to, take it in to the shower with you.

I took clips on my first liveaboard but found they weren’t necessary. I find it easier to loop my shirt, shorts, or swimsuit thru the arm or leg hole, around a hand rail and let it hang that way. Clips are too easy to become un-clipped.

As someone else said above, packing less is best on liveaboard packing. Make sure you’re really going to use all the extra items you’re contemplating. Space is so limited. Unless you have a camera to charge I don’t think you’ll need a power cord.

The one the one thing I’m glad I took was 3 bathing suits to alternate. I like changing out of a wet one as soon as I get back from a dive. It seems to help keep my core body temp up throughout the week with all that diving. If I only had two bathing suits the first one wasn’t all the way dry by the time I needed it again.

We’ve been on that trip with them. Have fun.

First, I wish I was going on that trip! We were on the CEXII in 2008 and loved it. It was our first liveaboard. We were in cabin #3, and at that time it had a shoe cubby on the wall that a prior guest had left and it was great for storing small items. I bought one afterwards for trips like this, but to be honest not sure it's super necessary.

MOTION SICKNESS meds - if you are at all prone to sea sickness, or even if you're not sure, I'd pick up some dramamine at the store. I use Scopolamine patches but not everyone does well with it. Dramamine is inexpensive and can be a lifesaver. Start taking it the day BEFORE you leave on the trip. (night before).

I bring at least 4 swimsuits with me. Lately I've been bringing two quick dry leggings. covers my lower legs when I wear a shorty. They dry in a second so I only bring two. A couple of lounger-cover ups. That's pretty much it for clothing. As someone said above, as soon as you come up from one dive, change into a dry suit and hang up the wet one. Repeat throughout the day.

I think it's true that most people bring too much stuff. We actually brought long dive parkas - nooooo. Its not that cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom