Live Aboard Packing- What did you not bring that you wished you had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like so many others :

Bandaids, liquid bandaids, duct tape... Anything that you consider will help with blisters or with minor cuts etc... The onboard med kit quickly runs out when there are 24 dives on board....
I made the mistake of using my wifes fins for the first few days, the blister damage was "unforgetable" everytime I went back in the "salt" water I was reminded about it ...
Sea Sick pills : The boats move more than we might imagine and it is very important to take them before you need them... I didn't beleive that I suffered from SeaSickness until I did, lol..

Several bathing suits, at least 3. You probably wont wear anything else for the whole week ;-)

Bags of your favourite sweets/candies ( hidden away in your cabin , lol),
Clothes pins, the large ones are really helpful.. Drying out bathing suits/towels between dives.

A second mask especially if you have prescription lenses.

A spare hood, I forgot to take mine and after a couple of days the water starts to feel colder.

You will be drinking a lot of water so take your favourite "reusable" water bottle.. They can also be bought on some boats. You will keep the same one all week.

Paracetamol or Iboprufen, 3 or 4 days dives a day can bring on little headaches that can become annoying.

Clothes, the least amount possible, you will use the same 2 tshirts all week..literally... ( No-one cares about fashion, you're too tired). Were here for the fish, etc :)

Large SD-CARDs for your GoPro or camera.... There are only a limited number of charging point so don't take too many electronics if they are not really necessary...

And don't forget your toothbrush...

USB power brick with built-in battery pack, like this.

I found one like this but with 4 USB ports and double the battery capacity. I don't take a power strip anymore...

Sudafed - to remedy mild (with emphasis on mild) congestion of sinusses. Saved 1 or 2 live avoards for me! Same for mix of 50/50 alcohol/vinager to use as ear drops.

I also usually bring a few small glue clamps to use as clothespin.

Spare battery for the transmitter, if you use integrated air in your dive computer.

Netflix downloads or other movie source. Once I did a live aboard where there was a lot of movie enthusiasts that were happy to join movie night. On another one I was under the weather, and netflix downloads really helped me to get through the days hidden in bed in my cabin.

Portable battery station

150,000 mAh

portablepowerstation-2048px-0960.jpg

leukotape - if used preemptively can help prevent heel and toe blisters, but I have also had them and just covered them up with tape to get through the week
I want to second this, it is a miracle tape. Easier on the skin than duct tape, completely waterproof, will last for at least several days and can be removed easily. Plus it's sold in 15 m / 50 ft. rolls so much more affordable than most medical tape.

Ear Plugs for the snorers
Some kind of hydration powder or tablets. I found a good keto one with no sugar called Hi-Lyte. Stopped me just pounding all the free soda's
Standard save a dive kit and some tools.
Always pack a 2nd mask.
Power board for charging all your crap.
Small red led flashlight for navigating your room at night without having to blast the overheads and wake up your bunk mate.

Most of the tricks I have picked up have already been mentioned, but the ones I most often find myself showing other people on LOBs or them asking me about are:

lycra socks - as others said helps save feet over the course of a week of diving

Had a look in lots of UK dive shops and can't see to find these, can anyone provide a link?

Had a look in lots of UK dive shops and can't see to find these, can anyone provide a link?
I am sure there are quite a few out there and other places to source them rather than Amazon, but here are a couple:

I am sure there are quite a few out there and other places to source them rather than Amazon, but here are a couple:

Cheers a pair have been ordered, all i was finding before where 3mm ones

Cheers a pair have been ordered, all i was finding before where 3mm ones
Wow, those would be some socks! These are shockingly thin and at first don't seem like much, but they actually hold up well and between them and the foot tape I have had pretty good luck staving off blisters and avoiding discomfort on longer trips. The added ease they bring to donning wet wetsuit legs makes them well worth their cost IMO. They are kinda like a rashguard for your feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom