Breaking in a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k8chen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using rental wetsuits and finally bought my very own! Is there any way to break in a new wetsuit? I understand they are extra buoyant for a few dives...and I was hoping to mitigate that. Or how much extra weight would one need to offset the extra buoyancy?

I have been using rental wetsuits and finally bought my very own! Is there any way to break in a new wetsuit? I understand they are extra buoyant for a few dives...and I was hoping to mitigate that. Or how much extra weight would one need to offset the extra buoyancy?

Just pee in it... It will feel just like all the other rental wetsuits you've used before :D

Just dive with it. You DON'T want to speed up the break in process, as what's happening is that it's losing insulation and warmth.

Enjoy the warmth and wear a bit more lead. Divers would give an arm and a leg for neoprene that could stay that way.

There is no break-in procedure other than a good whiz.

Pete

They are not extra buoyant the first few dives, they are working like they are designed. As they get older they loose buoyancy and warmth.

Just dive it. Don't worry about trying to break it in. Enjoy it while it is still new.

As for weight, it is impossible to answer that as we don't know what you are now diving, what you were diving, and the condition of the suits you were using.

HAHAHA! Thanks all. I will happily pee away...Watch out Saba, here I come!

Moving from a 3 mil with a couple of hundred hours of underwater time that is a few years old to a new wetsuit of the same type will make you more buoyant, but not so much as you think. The difference will be a pound or two. You will notice greater positive buoyancy the most on the first dive, so here's a couple of things you can do, if you don't already; 1) when at the surface before descent, pull the neck out a little to be sure all air is venting from the suit. 2) with your upper legs at a right angle to your torso ( a position like sitting on a chair) move your knees apart and together a few times- also to vent air that may be trapped ( and also to get some water circulating in the crotch area if you do think that peeing in the suit is part of the "christening process." 3) unless the heat (or cold)is unbearable, leave the wet suit on and in place between dives on the first outing. Congrats on getting your own wetsuit. You will find that diving with quality gear that is your, and the same every dive will make diving more enjoyable.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks Dennis. While I always enjoy a good "pee-in-the-wetsuit" comment, I really appreciated your practical points. I am working toward getting all my own gear. Next is BCD!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom