Thoughts, pros & cons on wetsuit seperates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jennilee913

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not seeing much on this board about wetsuit separates, and interested in some feedback from folks. I'm in the market for a new 3mm wetsuit for warm water diving trips. I currently have a 10+ year old Scubapro Everflex 3mm/2mm, chest zip. It worked well for it's duty, but getting it on and off is a pain....like most wetsuits. I see that Scubapro sells a 3mm Everflex/Yulex separate set and am considering it. Anyone with experiences on separates? I figure there will be more flushing but only plan to use it in warm water. I'm happy to trade off the ease of getting in and out of separates for a slight chill, and plan to add a hooded vest if needed. Next trip is to Palau where I hope to break in a new suit. Thanks folks!

I can’t speak to wearing separates, as the only experience I have with it is watching students wear old double 7mm farmer John and jacket combos. But as for the issues of donning and doffing, front zip wetsuits are notoriously difficult to get off. Back zip is much easier. So if that’s your main issue, I’d say just get a new full suit with a regular back zip.

Hi @Jennilee913,

Separates are often a great idea - here's an article on the subject: Advantages of diving multiple wetsuit layers.

I dive several separates myself and find I get less (if any) flushing. For warmer waters I'll use a 3mm fullsuit and when it's a bit colder I'll add a 3mm hooded vest that has 3mm (or 5mm) over the head.

As for getting a suit on and off easily, consider adding leg and possibly wrist zips - see Should you get wrist and leg zippers on your wetsuit?

Hope that helps and let us know if we can answer any questions.

Kind regards,
Derek

Thanks for your reply! I've heard the same about full front zips, but don't think I've worn one before to know if it's difficult. I've found the chest zip to be a bit easier to handle solo than a back zip. What you shared is worth thinking about for the separate since the jacket is a front zip. Appreciate the feedback.

My first time diving in Central CA was a 7mm farmer john setup and I'm trying to remember what I thought about it. I think I was so miserably cold and annoyed with a cold water shore dive, the wetsuit was the least of my issues. I'm much happier with my Probe 7mm semidry and Channel Island boat diving these days. :D
I can’t speak to wearing separates, as the only experience I have with it is watching students wear old double 7mm farmer John and jacket combos. But as for the issues of donning and doffing, front zip wetsuits are notoriously difficult to get off. Back zip is much easier. So if that’s your main issue, I’d say just get a new full suit with a regular back zip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom