brass vs. stainless steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's nothing wrong with brass, I've used it for years. It might get a greenish/brown patina but this only gets to a certain point and stops. The springs on brass bolt snaps are stainless.
A particular group of divers tell me that brass wears and forms some sort of sharp edge where it rides against a D-ring. I think they're full of crap, I've never seen this happen.
The ones that tell me this are probably just parroting something they were told by their superiors. Most of them haven't been around long enough to bust the myth.

$4 for brass vs $12 to $15 for stainless, and they do the same thing. It's your money.

I have a couple of brass clips in use for 5-6 years and the sharp edge doesn't form where they ride against the D-ring, it forms where the operating pin runs in the slot.
Which means that when you go to operate the D-ring you can cut your thumb.
However in practice it's not an issue as I always inspect my gear well before any dive trip and if I see an edge forming, it only takes a couple of seconds with a small file to round off the slot .
Then you're good for another 100+ dives. :D

From what I know (and I'm not sure how much that is at times) it really comes down to THE SPRING, not the clip itself. Brass or stainless on the clip doesn't matter so much, both will last a long time, but if the spring is not a good metal, you are in trouble, it will fail. Just look at some of the recent OPV recalls. Apparently a few manufacturers got springs made with bad metal. My wing, under a year old, had massive corrosion on the spring. Just think about the spring in the clip with a nice place for water to just sit and corrode.

I have a couple of brass clips in use for 5-6 years and the sharp edge doesn't form where they ride against the D-ring, it forms where the operating pin runs in the slot.
Which means that when you go to operate the D-ring you can cut your thumb.
However in practice it's not an issue as I always inspect my gear well before any dive trip and if I see an edge forming, it only takes a couple of seconds with a small file to round off the slot .
Then you're good for another 100+ dives. :D

Oh, gotcha.
I'll have to look at mine, but obviously I've never had that problem or else I would have known about it.
Thanks.

E

Oh, gotcha.
I'll have to look at mine, but obviously I've never had that problem or else I would have known about it.
Thanks.

E

It's also a function of how many times you're operating the clip and whether you're wearing gloves.

The one I keep an eye on is on a short camera lanyard that I probably operate 10 - 20 times per dive and as most of my diving is without gloves (either tropical water or protected areas where gloves are prohibited) any edge gets felt quickly.

If this was a primary reg clip used rarely or only during s-drills and I was diving with gloves, I'd probably have to go 1000s of dives before encountering a problem.

Brass clips will last 100 years. Stainless clips will last 500 years. So please understand that unless you use stainless you will drown. No way around it. Death is at every corner. Cause you went with brass. Brass kills.

You made me come this close to blowing beer out my nose.

If you dive in freshwater you will at some point come into contact with hydrogen sulfide (that rotten egg smell...). Hydrogen sulfide will turn brass clips black and gunk them up.

Like RJP said - SS bolt snap.

I use a bolt-snap and cave line in lieu of a retractor as most do. You remove and replace as needed.

Skim, I clicked on "The Greatest ScubaBoard Post -EVER!" and I am still laughing at RJP's wit. I'm new to the board but already recognize so much of that. Funny guy! Should be writing for The Onion or SNL!

Depends on where you are diving. For saltwater I prefer the stainless steel but make sure the spring is stainless also. Some stainless clips sold at hardware and discount stores do not have stainless springs- these are junk. Brass will tend to corrode over time if not thoroughly rinsed and dried after every dive. At the least a thin coat of WD40 may help but that can get on other stuff and make a mess. Freshwater is not so bad and either will work but I'd still go for the stainless. Make sure it is stainless though and not one of the plated ones. Places that sell tack for horses usually carry the ones with stainless springs just because of the intended use.
Could you post a link to the supplier so we could take a look and give a better recommendation?
I have a small jar full of white vinegar and a lid. Once a year I soak my brass clips in the jar over night and they look brand new in the A.M.. I soaked my stainless steel clips once and they dissolved. I'm assuming they weren't marine grade stainless, just plated. I did put them in the jar with the Brass ones. The Brass turned black and the stainless ones dissolved. I'm sure putting brass and Stainless in the same jar with an acid caused some kind of galvanic action.

Jim hit you with a stellar answer. I cannot think of any reason nor have I ever heard of any advantage of brass other than initial cost / availability verses stainless.

How many divers look after their bolt snaps ?
A "quick lick and a promise" I am sure. :wink:
I rinse and lube the springs after every dive, a little squirt of something like WD-40 lanolin rust prevention is what I am now using, plenty of products will do the job.
And you will have bolt snaps with more bottom time than some on here.

Back
Top Bottom