brass vs. stainless steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of these guys have a 24" high pressure hose that they tie a bolt snap to and clip it to their left hip D ring. If you use a longer HP hose like say 32" then if you attached a bolt snap you would usually hook it to your right chest D ring and disconnect it before you take off your BCD and just let it dangle or hook it to your left hip D ring and then move it again when you put your BCD back on to dive.

Another even easier way to attach a bolt snap to a HP hose is with Dive Rite's hose clip retainer. My wife and I use them, very easy to use, secure and easy to move around or take off if you want.

Regulator Accessories - Dive Gear Express

Another even easier way to attach a bolt snap to a HP hose is with Dive Rite's hose clip retainer. My wife and I use them, very easy to use, secure and easy to move around or take off if you want.

Had a student with one of these the other night. Did a poor job staying in one place. He was ready to ditch it by the end of the pool session.

Anyone else notice that the necklaces on that page come in both "regular" and "fat head" sizes? Guess "large" is out of vogue.

I'm surprised they don't call it "venti"

starbucks.jpg

Post deleted

Last edited:
I have used brass for years in saltwater. Given a good rinse after the dive....like all your gear should be anyway..I have had no problems with brass. Maybe once a year a shot of some kind of lube in the spring area makes them work a little nicer.

I love the aesthetics of brass. But then I grew up in the Brass City, so I may be biased. Stainless is sterile. Brass has character.

There's nothing wrong with brass, I've used it for years. It might get a greenish/brown patina but this only gets to a certain point and stops. The springs on brass bolt snaps are stainless.
A particular group of divers tell me that brass wears and forms some sort of sharp edge where it rides against a D-ring. I think they're full of crap, I've never seen this happen.
The ones that tell me this are probably just parroting something they were told by their superiors. Most of them haven't been around long enough to bust the myth.

$4 for brass vs $12 to $15 for stainless, and they do the same thing. It's your money.

I love the tone of the last two posts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom