brass vs. stainless steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on where you are diving. For saltwater I prefer the stainless steel but make sure the spring is stainless also. Some stainless clips sold at hardware and discount stores do not have stainless springs- these are junk. Brass will tend to corrode over time if not thoroughly rinsed and dried after every dive. At the least a thin coat of WD40 may help but that can get on other stuff and make a mess. Freshwater is not so bad and either will work but I'd still go for the stainless. Make sure it is stainless though and not one of the plated ones. Places that sell tack for horses usually carry the ones with stainless springs just because of the intended use.
Could you post a link to the supplier so we could take a look and give a better recommendation?

Thanks Jim, it is a retractor made for diving by gear keeper. I have to choose between :

RT3- 0083 Brass Snap Clip : SCUBA-Locking Retractors
or
RT3- 0092 Stainless Steel Snap Clip (mind the typo in the website) : SCUBA Large Flashlight

Both have SS spring, the only difference beside the material of the clip is that the one for the console is 32" and has higher retracting force while the light retractor is 42" with lower retracting force.

I never used a retractor before but seems to me that there should not be much difference between 32" and 42" in usage but what about the retracting force? I will mainly use it for the console of my reg...

I have used brass for years in saltwater. Given a good rinse after the dive....like all your gear should be anyway..I have had no problems with brass. Maybe once a year a shot of some kind of lube in the spring area makes them work a little nicer.

I have to choose between :

RT3- 0083 Brass Snap Clip : SCUBA-Locking Retractors
or
RT3- 0092 Stainless Steel Snap Clip (mind the typo in the website) : SCUBA Large Flashlight

You don't need either one of those.

You need one of these...

9584.jpg

If you dive in freshwater you will at some point come into contact with hydrogen sulfide (that rotten egg smell...). Hydrogen sulfide will turn brass clips black and gunk them up.

Like RJP said - SS bolt snap.

Based on the images, if the choice is between the retractor with the brass bolt snap, and the retractor with the stainless steel clip, go with the bolt snap. Or as RJP stated, forget the retractor and just get a stainless steel bolt snap.

What do you guys recommend on the other side of the bolt snap to replace a retractor? Some kind of bungey, coil, or just straight to the hardware and remove it each time?

Not to thread jack but cave line does not stretch correct? I'm just somewhat confused on what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom