Brand new HOG regulator free flowing, not getting much support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My brand new HOG regulator free flows. It breaths great, but the free flow is unacceptable. I haven't been successful in getting support from HOG. I was told the 2nd stage was tuned to the first stage but... if that's the case I think someone screwed up. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to get it fixed? I do not have the knowledge to fix this myself.

Brand New Hog Regulator Freeflows - YouTube

My brand new HOG regulator free flows. It breaths great, but the free flow is unacceptable. I haven't been successful in getting support from HOG. I was told the 2nd stage was tuned to the first stage but... if that's the case I think someone screwed up. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to get it fixed? I do not have the knowledge to fix this myself.

yeah that sucks esp from a brand new reg, im in no way qualified to give u repair advise but if it were me in ur situation i would be goin to the dive shop u bought the reg from and having them rectify the problem and if you bought it online then just be persistant wih who ever you talk to scuba gear doesn't come cheap.. and if u want just get on the man. website and start squawking there that might get someones attention and if worst comes to worst then u muhht have to bite the bullet and pay to get i tserviced

POST YOUR PROBLEM HERE yOU MAY GET SOME ADVICE FROM THE MANUFACTURER (Sub Forum Edge gear manufacturer forum)
Edge Gear

Most likely just needs a tweak to the 2nd stage.
Take it back to where you bought it.....or.......take the 2nd stage off the hose and turn the orifice 1/8th of a turn clockwise.

What did your dealer say? Based on the video I would first check the IP and make sure it is in the proper range. Then I'd check the lever height/orifice adjustment. Something like that is usually a fix that takes less than ten minutes to check and maybe another ten to take care of. The proper IP on that HOG D-2, which is what you have, is in the 130 -145 PSI Range. I like to set the ones I send out to about 138- 140 psi or so. It is something any HOG dealer can do. That seems to be a sweet spot on them.

Once that is set then I tune the second with an in line tool. It can be done old school but that's a pain taking the hose off, turning the orifice a hair, checking it, taking if off and making another adjustment, etc. Ideally the lowest cracking pressure setting on a new reg should be about 1.0 -1.1 inches of water on the magnahelic. As the reg gets used that will tend to get a little less as the seat/orifice settles in. The second should be cycled a bit before it's sent out once you set it to reduce the amount of drop you'll see. And when adjusting the orifice the purge should be depressed so as not to cut the seat when making the adjustment. Any dealer, and frankly any competent tech should be able to adjust a second stage as well as the first. If they know what to turn to do that.

You say the reg is brand new but the video shows you diving it. How many dives have you done with it? If the second was not cycled enough it could be that the seat/orifice is settling in and needs adjusted. But I would still check the IP. Did you get a paper saying what the IP and cracking pressures were? Be curious to know what it said.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 06:08 AM ----------

Most likely just needs a tweak to the 2nd stage.
Take it back to where you bought it.....or.......take the 2nd stage off the hose and turn the orifice 1/8th of a turn clockwise.

If he does that without pressing the purge he is risking cutting the seat. It sounds like he is not familiar with doing this and so I can't advise that as a wise course of action.

Let me guess.... Internet purchase? If not, than the shop you got it from in incapable and has no customer service....

And where you purchased it from is saying what in regard to this issue?

99.44% chance this is just tuning.....

That super-slow freeflow is a tuning issue for sure. It could be your IP, but I'd bet it's just (or mostly) your second stage. I used to tune second stages without a magnahelic, and my trick was to get them to that point and then back them off just a little bit. It just means your reg is a little TOO easy to breathe.

Long story short, any Hog dealer or reg tech should be able to set that for you. Many other people should be able to set it for you as well, it's not rocket science....but I'm not sure how many would be willing to work on someone else's reg that they're not certified to work on.

You say it is brand new, but how many dives are on it? Fresh water, salt water, both? Post-dive maintenance regimen?With that kind of a hiss, not likely an IP problem, but could be related to the balance assembly, poppet seat or adjustable orifice. After checking the IP is in range a tech needs to check the adjustable orifice and the lp seat for any kind of dirt, damage or wear. Then check the o-ring(s) on the other end of the poppet assembly and balance chamber for dirt, damage and proper lubrication. Repair/replace as necessary.

In short, if you are not properly trained, contact the dealer where you bought it. If you stop by a different LDS, please offer to compensate them for their time and efforts on your behalf.

It's likely to be very simple to fix it yourself if you it's inconvenient for you to send it back. Do you want to do that? You might need to buy a tool or two, but having those will definitely come in handy. I (or lots of other regular posters) can easily talk you through it.

It's not really a pain to adjust a 2nd stage without an inline tool, both awap and I, and many others, have been doing it for years. It might take 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds. But an IP gauge is a necessity and very useful to have around anyways. You don't need a magnahelic either, you can simply adjust it so it doesn't freeflow and breathes easily.

Please don't get hung up on setting IP to within 1-2 psi. I have 3 IP gauges and they all read differently. Get it close, then adjust the second with a small hex. 5 minutes tops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom