Bradenton Sat. May 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
Now you are getting the picture :wink:

Normall fresh with an AL80 i wear 4# +SS BP (6#), so i added 6# for salt and then another 6# after that to keep me down there - anything less and during various parts of the dive i was floating up. You reckon only 2# between my 3mm and 5mm? Again back in fresh i used 16# compared to 10# with an AL80 - might have gotten away with 14# if i pushed it somewhat. Even so, saturday it is.
remove by me
Fred

Maybe its not the same for all people - you have to remember i have a few inches on you both in height and width - with all that neoprene it can be a little different - like 1.5-2# per mm for my case above. I even think that adding 6# from fresh to salt is a little much, but adding 5# is a bit more of a pain and 4 probably wont cut it at the end of the dive - but that shallow stuff along the gulf coast is a killer over the course of the dive. When i get my tanks at the end of this month (when PST make a run) then i can play a little more than the odds and sods i get from renting around here - some are different sizes and weights for the "same size" AL80.

<mental note to self> Bring extra weight on Sat :D

Have extra weight, that i took last time.

<mental note to self> - dont bring up the issue of weighting with other divers when you have an idea yourself about it - just asking for trouble!

simbrooks:
Have extra weight, that i took last time.

<mental note to self> - dont bring up the issue of weighting with other divers when you have an idea yourself about it - just asking for trouble!
I'll go in and edit it so you don't think I'm picking on you.
Fred

fgray1:
I'll go in and edit it so you don't think I'm picking on you.
Fred
You can put it all back if you want, it makes no odds to me - i understand you are trying to help out and i understand the principles of the weighting. I think i just need to take "less" deep breaths UW so that i am not fighting buoyancy as much in shallow water. Deep and safety stops i am fine with, but prolonged periods of shallow water i err a little, but i am getting better and will remove some of that weight again!!

simbrooks:
You can put it all back if you want, it makes no odds to me - i understand you are trying to help out and i understand the principles of the weighting. I think i just need to take "less" deep breaths UW so that i am not fighting buoyancy as much in shallow water. Deep and safety stops i am fine with, but prolonged periods of shallow water i err a little, but i am getting better and will remove some of that weight again!!
What worked for me. I can hover all day with little movement.
But that's thanks to Rick.
See you Saturday :crafty:
Fred

fgray1:
What worked for me. I can hover all day with little movement.
I feel like i can most of the day, but when i lose concentration or for extended periods in shallow water i fall off the wagon - but heh i am still working on it!

I have to ask how many dives do you have? Like i said 38 so far for me inc checkout dives and 22 hours UW - hence still very much in the initial learning curve for a little while longer.

simbrooks:
I feel like i can most of the day, but when i lose concentration or for extended periods in shallow water i fall off the wagon - but heh i am still working on it!

I have to ask how many dives do you have? Like i said 38 so far for me inc checkout dives and 22 hours UW - hence still very much in the initial learning curve for a little while longer.
I have around 95 real dives. A bunch of training ones. I research everything. The only thing that makes you a better diver is diving.
Keep in mind Allot of my dives are with Rick in allot of different environments. I've spent hours in my pool testing and working on different gear configurations.
My wife thinks it's overkill cause I work at something until I have it down.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom