BP/W - where to put the "stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSS, the only one I was able to find who apparently considers us folks who are 6'-7" (and I thank them with much gratitude)....

I'm 6'8" and haven't had any trouble with my DiveRite BP... But then I have monkey arms as well and use the DR sleeve to store the SMB. Glad they offer a tall version of the Nomad though... Regular one was way too short to comfortably clip off the butts of my sidemount tanks.

Well, after 23 years, I succumbed to the "mass hysteria" and got a BP/W. . . . In a single tank configuration, where are you placing "stuff"? Such as a light (though maybe its on a light sock), SMB/finger spool, etc.
Good question, and my reply may simply will echo many of the suggestions you have already received. To a great extent, a lot of what people do is personal preference, seasoned by a large dash of habit. So, I am not sure there is a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’.

The ‘stuff’ I carry generally includes: a) lights – primary and back-up, b) writing materials, c) DSMB / lift bag, d) cutting tools, and e) signaling devices. The specific equipment list may vary somewhat according to dive site and type (day vs night, quarry vs ocean, etc). I have pockets sewn and glued on both thighs of my DS and my WS. The left side is a larger bellows pocket and the right side is a flat pocket. In the left pocket I keep my spool, whistle/mirror, a second back-up light when I carry one or a back-up mask, and a secondary cutting tool. On the right side I keep my Wet Notes equivalent (Halcyon Diver’s Notebook). My primary back-up light is bolt snapped to my right chest D-ring and held down with a piece of inner tube. I wear a wrist slate, wrist-mounted computer, wrist-mounted compass.

My DSMB (6ft) is attached to the bottom / base of my BP, held in place with two bungee loops. I also carry a lift bag, slipped into a Dive Rite sleeve which is attached (inverted) on the lower left side of the plate with a couple of pear clips. I have a double ender attached to the end ring of the bag, and also to the plate, so I can reach down, unclip the double ender from the plate, and pull the bag down and out of the sleeve. Canister light is attached on the lower right side of the plate, inverted, so all I need to do to turn it on is reach down and find the switch on the bottom of the canister (I keep it on the right side because I have the light head on my right hand).

Cutting tools are shears carried in a holster placed on the right waist strap, behind the D-ring (to which a wreck reel - when used - is clipped), and a small (1”) folding Buck knife carried in the bellows pocket, attached to a double ender.

I usually do not carry a back-up mask. When I do, I put it in the left bellows pocket, and take out the secondary back-up light.

I have tried wearing a Dive Rite thigh pocket attached to my waist strap and my thigh – do not care for it. I have also carried a Halcyon waist strap pocket (hard-backed) on the right side, which I found cluttered my waist strap too much.

For carrying an SMB, and finger spool, I use the Dive-Rite SMB pouch, and I have it attached to the butt of my BP/W with quick links. This works great for me. Its out of the way until I need it. My cutting tools are on my harness belt. I use a canister light, and so there is not a lot more to carry. If I need pockets, XS Scuba makes some nice neoprene shorts with pockets. These can either be worn on their own, or over a wetsuit. As someone else mentioned Dive-Rite also makes a very nice slate that straps to your arm, which I also use.

photo.jpg

I don't wear exposure protection unless I have to so pockets attached to suits don't work for me. I attach a 6' DSMB on one side of my plate between the wing and the plate. On the other side I can attach a snorkel but I usually only carry that at the Flower Gardens (120 NM off-shore). I added extra hip D-rings close to the plate where I attach a Spool on the side with the DSMB. Main light on right forward hip D-ring. Spare light on right chest D-ring. Scissors and slung pony on left chest D-ring. When night diving solo, I add a 2nd primary light. I also attach an army surplus first aide pouch to my waste band for whatever. It will hold a small spool for when I don't carry the large DSMB and spool or swim goggles which I carry as a back-up mask for solo dives. I also have some old Scubapro attachable pockets (fairly large) I can add to the waist strap when needed. On some dives I carry collection bag(s) and the extra D-rings come in handy.

This should link to a picture in my Scubaboard photos: Snorkel attachment to BP under wing. - - ScubaBoard Gallery

For carrying an SMB, and finger spool, I use the Dive-Rite SMB pouch, and I have it attached to the butt of my BP/W with quick links. This works great for me. Its out of the way until I need it. My cutting tools are on my harness belt. I use a canister light, and so there is not a lot more to carry. If I need pockets, XS Scuba makes some nice neoprene shorts with pockets. These can either be worn on their own, or over a wetsuit. As someone else mentioned Dive-Rite also makes a very nice slate that straps to your arm, which I also use.

View attachment 122949

There is no way that I would use those types of clips, especially behind my back where i could not see what is going on.... Zip ties, nylon line almost anything but those kind of clips...

There is no way that I would use those types of clips, especially behind my back where i could not see what is going on.... Zip ties, nylon line almost anything but those kind of clips...

Why not?? those are not clips, those are quick links (look like a link of chain) they are closed and will not snag or come off. Tie wraps always fail. Please explain your concern with my set up. I would counter that I would NEVER use tie wraps on my gear, anywhere. They always fail. if one of these links were to get snagged its trivial to unscrew them, and remove them, as they are totally reachable.

Why not?? those are not clips, those are quick links (look like a link of chain) they are closed and will not snag or come off. Tie wraps always fail. Please explain your concern with my set up. I would counter that I would NEVER use tie wraps on my gear, anywhere. They always fail. if one of these links were to get snagged its trivial to unscrew them, and remove them, as they are totally reachable.
When I bought my sleeve from DiveRite express, I had a DiveRite plate. The the folks at DiveRite express recommended the quick links over the sex bolts.

Where those quick links are at, I don't really see a problem with it, especially in OW, non-overhead diving. Everything is tucked up nicely under the wing, and the links will not be exposed to anything where it could become an entanglement hazard. I would personally use cave line so I can cut it away if need be, but I don't see much hazard in using them where they are at and for the situation they are being used in.

I apologize. Now that I blow it up to the max. I see that those are locking quick links. I thought they were typical open gate clips. I would have no problem using those locking type of connectors..:amazed:

As others have said it depends on your diving environment. I own a total of five BP/W setups. Three I keep in Cozumel where I'm at now and two back in Louisiana with one for single and the other for doubles. When I have family and friends come down there is some extra equipment for them to use. And I also have a couple of standard BCD's for those with an aversion to the BP/W.

In clear ocean diving like I'm doing now I have Halycon 4.5 foot SMB rolled up and tucked in two bungie cords that is stored at the bottom of my plate. On my right D-ring I carry a dive reel or a finger spool. A small knife is on my left hip and that's it.

My computer is on my wrist and I don't take a snorkel, dive slate or extra mask. In 34 years of diving I have lost three watches but never a mask. The water is clear and I normally carry a camera. I dive a 3mm suit the year round down here and unless I'm on a night dive don't pack a light.

Diving cold dark water, wrecks or caves I add equipment as necessary to make the dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom