BP/W - where to put the "stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, after 23 years, I succumbed to the "mass hysteria" and got a BP/W. All I can say is it is a thrill to have something that fits. Being 6'-7", nothing off the shelf fit for the last 23 years...... Now, it does..... Thank you to the vendors who thought of us tall folks....

Anyhow, now that I don't have pockets (well, I didn't with a back-inflate), and all the "new" stuff you folks like to have (mainly a SMB/spool, but some safety stuff seems reasonable, and maybe a snorkel), where the heck do you put it? WS and DS have a thigh pocket, but there is only so much space.... In a single tank configuration, where are you placing "stuff"?

Such as a light (though maybe its on a light sock), SMB/finger spool, etc.

tell me what you do....

spools go in my thigh pocket. SMB can be attached to butt dring if not going in over head environments where it can not snag. lights get bolt snaps attached to the end and clipped off to the chest drings and then held in place by bicycle inner tube pieces. snorkel goes in thigh pocket, as does pretty much everything else. I use bolt snaps or double Enders to attach everything to a bungee loop in my thigh pockets. that way you can pack stuff in good and tight and not have to worry about losing it as you go rummaging through it.

All I can think of is the "yard sale" as the daisy chain of "stuff" is pulled out... where the heck is ... okay, got it...... then trying to put it all back.... looks like I have a bunch to re-learn..... sure was a lot more simple back then....

LOL.. How much are you wanting to carry? In my pockets I can fit a spare mask, snorkel, wetnotes, 3 -4 spools, and a six foot SMB. I only take what I need for that dive. So a typical OW dive has a spare mask and snorkel in one pocket, and the SMB w/spool in the other along with wetnotes.

I'm just at a loss for the back-up DC, spare mask, more than 1 spool, etc...

the spool and SMB seem like a good bit of kit (sometimes), and the slate (substitute "Wetnotes")has always been with me with the dive plan on it (it had crude tables with it if something went amiss), the rest of things seem too much to me, though different cutting options fascinate me (I have only carried a tiny fixed blade knife).... I don't know - it seems like we are suggesting too much for the recreational diver these days.....

Being a "gadget" guy, its sometimes difficult to not succumb...

W.jpg

I hope you like it in the long run.
You'll have to excuse the picture, my phone can never make up it's mind about the picture orientation.
I'm fairly new to the Bp/W in practice, but not in concept. I've been planning on my configuration and owning one for the past year and recently/finally got one of my own.

I dive with a DiveRite Bellows Daisy Chain pocket as my only attached "accessory". I connected the Diverite Daisy Chain Shears to the pocket itself, and have a DIR steak knife on the opposite side of the waist band.

My wetnotes, 6ft/40lb SMB, and fingerspool are stored in the pocket; each clipped off to a bungee lanyard using a double ender. Sometimes I'll clip off the finger spool to my back D-ring instead, to make sorting through my pocket easier during the dive.
I also clip off a spare double ender to my back D-ring

I wouldn't recommend using the DR Pocket over glue-on thigh pockets though. Usually your waist strap will be around your belly button, and accessing a pocket and more importantly: shoving everything back in and closing it neatly, is a huge hard hassle when your pocket opening is at your lower rib cage. Your arm has to contort a lot to feel around in the pocket; *this coming from a flexible guy*
The DR pocket also uses too big a velcro flap, which likes to trap the lanyard line they provide and makes opening the pocket w/ one hand a bit of a challenge. Replacing the in-house lanyard with bungee solves one of those problems though.

The only reason I haven't gotten a glue-on thigh pocket is because my farmer john jacket prevents it. =[

I also bolt snap two lights to my chest D-rings and secure then with inner tube.
I use the Intova Compact and Mini which fit nicely in an Oxycheq Raider III/IV light sock. I usually keep the light sock on my Mini since that's considered my primary.

Concerning accessories, I think the recreational diver only needs 4 accessories at minimum.

- SMB
- Fingerspool
- Slate/Wetnotes
- Light

The fingerspool can be used in search patterns and SMB launching. Wetnotes can be good in the instances where you just have to explain something during a dive; perhaps you missed covering a signal in the briefing because you didn't think of it.
Light for those murky, low light conditions, or for peeking into nooks and crannies.
And the SMB for surface signalling.

Depending on your site you can add and subtract what you think you'll need.
I personally always carry two lights in case one fails or if my buddy/student needs one to peek under a rock.
If I'm diving close to shore, shallow, and under a lot of kelp I'll ditch the SMB and sometimes the finger spool.

For night diving I ditch the SMB and Wetnotes.

The only accessories I carry consistently on every dive are my lights and fingerspool. There's always an opportunity for lights in my diving local, and the finger spool comes in handy in class when a piece of gear get knocked off the float.

I am a "gadget guy" as well. However, my split personality is also a "minimalist". I have to own everything, but use nothing. I am my own worst enemy.

You really don't need to take much. You could always switch your wetnotes/slates over to something like the dive rite wrist slate, and that would eliminate something in your pocket.
Dive Rite Wrist Slate [AC2061] - $8.95 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

You can buy a free diving mask for the backup so it is nice and small. A roll up XS Scuba snorkel takes up very little room.

It will all come with practice and time. No worries! :)

You might want to consider a harness pocket as well.
BC System Accessories | Halcyon Dive Systems

Back
Top Bottom