BP/W - where to put the "stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, here is the price point: Utility Keeper - 2 to a set - Northeast Scuba Supply Sorry to say Pete, you are a day late and a dollar short.....
Actually, I have a pair of those. I like mine a lot better. Mind you, I was setting up three BCs and only had a pair of those. We'll see how they fair compared to the commercially available ones. :D In addition, I can buy the weight keepers for less than a buck a piece. I doubt I have that I have a quarter in the bungee.

If you have the same back up light you can also just poke small holes in the webbing with a hot nail and thread the loop of bungie right through it.

Well, after 23 years, I succumbed to the "mass hysteria" and got a BP/W. All I can say is it is a thrill to have something that fits. Being 6'-7", nothing off the shelf fit for the last 23 years...... Now, it does..... Thank you to the vendors who thought of us tall folks....

Anyhow, now that I don't have pockets (well, I didn't with a back-inflate), and all the "new" stuff you folks like to have (mainly a SMB/spool, but some safety stuff seems reasonable, and maybe a snorkel), where the heck do you put it? WS and DS have a thigh pocket, but there is only so much space.... In a single tank configuration, where are you placing "stuff"?

Such as a light (though maybe its on a light sock), SMB/finger spool, etc.

tell me what you do....

1. A Small handheld light can be attached to a bolt snap clip to your chest D-Ring and then held in place using a small strip of bicycle intertube woven on the harness.
2. Typically a Primary light is slid onto the waist strap on the right side. The light head will have a bolt shap which can be attached to a chest D-Ring when your not holding it on your hand (i.e. setup/not diving)
3. The SMB and reel I attached together before the dive and attacth the Bolt snap of the to the Left Hip D-Ring.

A lot of differnet ways of doing things.

DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

See the link above for explanation of the hip and chect D-Rings.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Very cool Pete.

BTW, is anyone as tired of cut bicycle tubes for light retainers as I am??? I was getting ready to come up to Cave Country, and I am bringing three different BCs. My FrankenBC made from an Express Tech and a Hollis SMS100 for sidemounting as well as a traditional back plate and wings were all coming with me. Unfortunately, as I was testing their integrity, I was confronted with 3 of the tube retainers breaking on me. We're always putting extra on because we KNOW they are going to fail. Then we have to pull everything apart to put on new ones. I felt I could come up with something that I don't have to baby or that is predestined to fail in a year or two.

While I haven't seen this in the caves/reefs, I am sure that I am not the first one to think about it. I used 12" of 1/8" bungee and tied two grape knots equidistant. I added an inch for the other side which will also control my BC corrugated hose. BTW, I noticed that these don't shift/drift as the tube retainers do and it's far easier to find them. Here are some pictures...

bungeeretainer01.jpg

bungeeretainer02.jpg

bungeeretainer03.jpg

---------- Post added ----------

If you have the same back up light you can also just poke small holes in the webbing with a hot nail and thread the loop of bungie right through it.
Pretty slick as well.

Switch to a jacket style bc, you'll never go back ! Two nice zipper pockets on each side, buckle on each
shoulder strap to facilitate easy entry and exit from the bc, not to mention the way your diving will
improve with this style of buoyancy compensator. Oh wait, I have this wrong....or at least some of it !

Switch to a jacket style bc, you'll never go back ! Two nice zipper pockets on each side, buckle on each
shoulder strap to facilitate easy entry and exit from the bc, not to mention the way your diving will
improve with this style of buoyancy compensator. Oh wait, I have this wrong....or at least some of it !

LMAO - find one that fits me properly....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom