BP/W - where to put the "stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have added one of Tobin's butt plates to all of my class and personal kits. It goes on the crotch strap and makes it easy to carry ANYTHING you might need.

40011_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg

Tobin's Butt Plate

Hey NetDoc - you say attach to your crotch strap? Uh, I'm trying to picture it, but (no pun intended) it seems it would just get in the way.

I purchased a couple of XS pockets from a SB member and attached one to my wetsuit and it works great. Wide and deep to fill with all sorts of stuff. I am contemplating whether to attach the second to my neoprene drysuit.

I have another pocket that goes on a belt or weight belt but I have no room on the BP waist band and the weight belt I ended up getting has the zip pockets rather than a belt that you would thread through weights.

I adjust this as high on the crotch strap as possible so items hang on either side of my prodigious butt. Every now and then, I get an in between the legs danglie, but a quick flick of a finger resolves it pretty quick! :D Like I said, I have them on all of my personal and class BCDs (10+). I am caving this week and will try to get some pictures of it in action.

BTW, is anyone as tired of cut bicycle tubes for light retainers as I am??? I was getting ready to come up to Cave Country, and I am bringing three different BCs. My FrankenBC made from an Express Tech and a Hollis SMS100 for sidemounting as well as a traditional back plate and wings were all coming with me. Unfortunately, as I was testing their integrity, I was confronted with 3 of the tube retainers breaking on me. We're always putting extra on because we KNOW they are going to fail. Then we have to pull everything apart to put on new ones. I felt I could come up with something that I don't have to baby or that is predestined to fail in a year or two.

While I haven't seen this in the caves/reefs, I am sure that I am not the first one to think about it. I used 12" of 1/8" bungee and tied two grape knots equidistant. I added an inch for the other side which will also control my BC corrugated hose. BTW, I noticed that these don't shift/drift as the tube retainers do and it's far easier to find them. Here are some pictures...

bungeeretainer01.jpg

bungeeretainer02.jpg

bungeeretainer03.jpg

NetDoc that awesome! You should patent the idea and sell them. If you use blue bungie you could charge $40. Black $10. Hahaha!

Pete, I like that idea -- the only issue I see is that I don't always use the same size backup light, and would need to move the triglide, which can be a nuisance with stiff webbing.

Every now and then, I get an in between the legs danglie, but a quick flick of a finger resolves it pretty quick! :D

(This has nothing but a dirty meaning to me.:D)

Is this hanging down below the buttplate and not in the way, or is this on the BP/W and thus higher up? for me even with a BP/W style, the back D-Ring always want to put stuff between my legs...

(Which also sounds like a nudge, nudge wink wink joke.)

---------- Post added ----------

Pete, I like that idea -- the only issue I see is that I don't always use the same size backup light, and would need to move the triglide, which can be a nuisance with stiff webbing.

Because these have wider teeth they adjust easier.
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Stainless-Steel-2-Inch-Retainer-w-Bungee-or-Tubing-2925

I have found a tentpole knot makes them pretty adjustable bungie wise, though I tend to use rubber and live with the breakage. (I am going to try the EPDM suggested above to see if it can stand the tropic sun.)

(Hey how come the second part did not get linkified? Is that an SB bug?)

I used the triglides with TEETH... the ones without teeth move easier.

sskeeper.jpg

Is this hanging down below the buttplate and not in the way, or is this on the BP/W and thus higher up?
It sits just below the BP. However, the two D-Rings puts the danglies away from the crack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom