BP/W or Knighthawk for beginner AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do recall when I started diving.

I had a SP Superhawk NT. I also remember how much of a PITA it was to travel with and fit in those little cubby holes on a Blackbeard's cruise. Back then you had to tear your gear down between each dive several times a day. When I got back from that 9 day trip, I immediately sold that BC and got a Transpac II. It was a huge improvement and it traveled well. I noticed a drastic change in drag over the Superhawk. That BC lasted for about one year. The only thing I disliked was the way the waist strap pressed on my diaphragm. Then I bought my first Pioneer wing and backplate. I haven't looked back.

You see, some of us really do recall our initial days as divers. We just choose not to go back.

hoosier:
I totally agreed on what you said... Sometimes, some experiecned and advanced divers need to step back and recall their begining year of scuba. They are only talking within their current perspectives.

Dan Gibson,
No, it is based on your career and limits. Please don't think new divers will pursue for the same goal like you in future. Some new divers never go deep, never move to tech, never dive more than 10 per year. There is nothing wrong with an ordinary BC for them if they feel it is comfortable to them.

As you see, I also recommend BP/W rig at the begining in this thread because he plans to move to tech diving later, but, not to everyone.

For example, I know one retired professor who drove a Porche in my place. Do you think he really enjoyed a Porche's performance. He never exceeds the speed 5 mile more than the regulated speed on the road. LOL~~~. He sold it out last year though.
There is no difference whether or not he drives Saturn or Porche excpet the cosmetic satisfaction. To me, I really enjoyed his Porche very much with V1 detector. :)
Dan Gibson:
I do recall when I started diving.

I had a SP Superhawk NT. I also remember how much of a PITA it was to travel with and fit in those little cubby holes on a Blackbeard's cruise. Back then you had to tear your gear down between each dive several times a day. When I got back from that 9 day trip, I immediately sold that BC and got a Transpac II. It was a huge improvement and it traveled well. I noticed a drastic change in drag over the Superhawk. That BC lasted for about one year. The only thing I disliked was the way the waist strap pressed on my diaphragm. Then I bought my first Pioneer wing and backplate. I haven't looked back.

You see, some of us really do recall our initial days as divers. We just choose not to go back.

hoosier:
Don Janni,

I don't think you got my point properly. I didn't mentioned "all experienced and advanced divers wear bp/w rigs. bp/w rigs are only used by experienced and advanced divers" I said, "SOME." I know other experience and advanced divers wear an ordinary BC instead of bp/w rigs for their joyful diving. They really love their BCD, such as Zeagle or Black Diamond. Even some tech divers in my area use Transpac II instead of simple BP/W rigs. Some members argue, Transpac isn't a true bp/w rig though

My point is, "Some expereinced and advanced divers should look back their early stage of diving because every new divers has a different goal and requirement." Like I post earlier, I am also using Halcyon and Knighthawk (It proves that non-advanced diver uses BP/W rig:)). But, I don't think my Knighthawk is less capable for a sport diving. My buddy, GF, is using Triple_L BC. It works great like $635 Knighthawk. It isn't a big deal to buy another Halcyon set for her if she really needs it, but she is totally satisfied with $169 BC. Her skill is better than any other rescue divers. Therefore, I don't want to force or push anybody to get BP/W rigs. That is, everyone has their own preference and limits.

Whenever we talk about the gear fitting, what do we used to advise? Comfort! Am I right? If then, there is no exact answer unless they try it. I just don't like hear, "I have divee more than 20 years so that I know scuba diving more than anyone else. You had better follow my preference." How a great "I syndrom" it is!!!

You did say "Some." You are right about advocating comfort. I'm not trying to be argumentive here but I must say this entire bp/w vs traditional style BC's thing is like asking a Ford salesman what he thinks about Chevy's.

So Don, you like your Zeagle. Neat.. lots of people do...

How many dives do you have in a bp/wing?

I think you completely missed my point. I absolutely remember my early days. I did not even consider getting into cave diving until after I had my bp and wing for over two years. My decisions to dump the Superhawk in favor of a Transpac II and finally a bp/wing were based on recreational diving. I did not recommend a bp/wing. I purely responded to your comment that some of us forget our early days. You couldn't be farther from the truth on that statement.

hoosier:
Dan Gibson,
No, it is based on your career and limits. Please don't think new divers will pursue for the same goal like you in future. Some new divers never go deep, never move to tech, never dive more than 10 per year. There is nothing wrong with an ordinary BC for them if they feel it is comfortable to them.

As you see, I also recommend BP/W rig at the begining in this thread because he plans to move to tech diving later, but, not to everyone.

For example, I know one retired professor who drove a Porche in my place. Do you think he really enjoyed a Porche's performance. He never exceeds the speed 5 mile more than the regulated speed on the road. LOL~~~. He sold it out last year though.
There is no difference whether or not he drives Saturn or Porche excpet the cosmetic satisfaction. To me, I really enjoyed his Porche very much with V1 detector. :)

OK, if then, you aren't in the category, "SOME", but in "OTHER" who remember an old days. :wink: And, you didn't recommend a "BP/W."

Dan Gibson:
I think you completely missed my point. I absolutely remember my early days. I did not even consider getting into cave diving until after I had my bp and wing for over two years. My decisions to dump the Superhawk in favor of a Transpac II and finally a bp/wing were based on recreational diving. I did not recommend a bp/wing. I purely responded to your comment that some of us forget our early days. You couldn't be farther from the truth on that statement.

Don Janni:
You did say "Some." You are right about advocating comfort. I'm not trying to be argumentive here but I must say this entire bp/w vs traditional style BC's thing is like asking a Ford salesman what he thinks about Chevy's.

Except for the fact that the original poster was asking for opinions between a BP/W and a traditional BC. It could just be that alot of people on here advocate the BP/W because they've tried both types and prefer the BP/W.

As for not being argumentative, you started off your first post in this topic by attacking every one that believes the BP/W is a better choice. You could have just said, "I prefer the Knighthawk because...."

As for all that crap about experienced divers thinking it's the best blah blah: I got certified originally in a regular jacket BC. 10 years later I decided to get recertified because I hadn't dived in awhile. After doing research and trying one out I went with the BP/W with less than 5 dives (my OW check out ones) and have loved it ever since.

jonnythan:
So Don, you like your Zeagle. Neat.. lots of people do...

How many dives do you have in a bp/wing?

None. How many do you have in a Stiletto?

But I'm not hear suggesting that people who use bp/w's must not know a thing about how to choose good equipment.

Kriterian:
As for not being argumentative, you started off your first post in this topic by attacking every one that believes the BP/W is a better choice. You could have just said, "I prefer the Knighthawk because...."

Would you mind going back and reading my first post in this topic again. You may want to repost.

Don Janni:
None. How many do you have in a Stiletto?

But I'm not hear suggesting that people who use bp/w's must not know a thing about how to choose good equipment.
I have my share of dives in both a Ranger and a minimalist Tusa back-inflate BC.

The reason I asked is because your comments are 100% typical of someone who has not dived a back-inflate BC.

My first posts on this board were defending my minimalist, streamlined back-inflate BC. I argued for days with one of our most experienced members, claiming that bp/wings offer nothing my minimalist, streamlined back-inflate BC didn't..

Boy, was I wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom