BP/W or Knighthawk for beginner AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halfstep:
kidspot, thanks for your references. Barring any unforseen developments, the diveshop should order the Transplate setup once they provide me the quote (they couldn't find their price list when I was there yesterday). I just feel that the harness was more comfortable and simple than any of the more expensive BCs, and have no illusions that a BP/W will "make me a better diver"

Check out Northeastscubasupply.com (NESS) for the "Famous name harness and backplate special" (it is a Dive Rite set up) to get a price reference. Retail, after package discount, is about $600 (see Diveriteexpress.com), but your LDS has to buy 3 units to get the package discount from Dive Rite.

If you want a STA for taking weight of your integrated system, don't buy the Dive Rite STA. It is made of plastic. NESS sells a stainless steel STA as does Hammerheadscuba.com. Both are around 5lbs. I bought a Hammerhead unit and bolted it up to a Dive Rite set up without any problems.

I got my LDS to order up 3 to get the discount, and they ended up selling 4...... They didn't sell many BP/Wings in the past because they never had any in the store. Maybe they will learn something from this transaction.

Don Janni:
No doubt about it... I am a Warm-Water-Wuss. Dived Panama City Fl in late May and it was 71-72 degrees and I nearly froze in my 3mm. Had to rent a hood/vest.

Reading between the lines are you suggesting that the basic design concept for backplates lends itself more toward cold water diving and maybe dry suits?

In some respects, yes ... in a drysuit or 7mm farmer john you're going to be packing quite a bit more weight in order to sink. So who wouldn't want to get some of that weight off their hips and distributed over your "internal BCD"? It's a very sensible thing to do.

Don Janni:
...and by the way - I have nothing against backplates. I think of them similarly to the way I think of a MAC computer. Good machine, reliable, has it's strong points, does some things very well, not mainstream, has strong/passionate cult following, doesn't fair well outside it's intended market space.

Try thinking of it as just a tool ... and logic through the benefits and drawbacks of the tool for your application. Yes ... I said drawbacks. Every piece of dive gear ever invented has both benefits and drawbacks. It's up to you to determine what, in the balance, works best for you.

Don Janni:
Sometimes the passion for bp/w rigs expressed here is... well, you know. I just thank a little balance is appropriate sometimes.

I felt the same way when I joined this board. Couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about ... till I started diving one ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I totally agreed on what you said... Sometimes, some experiecned and advanced divers need to step back and recall their begining year of scuba. They are only talking within their current perspectives.

Don Janni:
Sometimes the passion for bp/w rigs expressed here is... well, you know. I just thank a little balance is appropriate sometimes.

NWgratefuldiver:
Try thinking of it as just a tool ... and logic through the benefits and drawbacks of the tool for your application. Yes ... I said drawbacks. Every piece of dive gear ever invented has both benefits and drawbacks. It's up to you to determine what, in the balance, works best for you.

Great way of putting it!

and thanks for the picture in #27 - it's good to see a company like Tobins get such good reviews as they have around here - I'd have seriously conisdered DSS myself if it were not for the fact that I've can get DR and Halcyon gear for a lot less than what DSS gear runs (though their retail prices are quite low comparatively)

As to the popularity of BP/Wings on SB - yup they are and that's why I considered one in the beginning, I read what folks said about them, agreed with their logic and "jumped" in so to speak. I have seen quite a few on our warm shores at the popular beaches, but so far the only local's I've seen wearing one have been myself and a couple of friends I dive with... doesn't really matter though - we're happy with our choices as are the others I know who dive with a Jacket BC... Good, happy divers on both sides...

Aloha, Tim

Don Janni:
...and by the way - I have nothing against backplates. I think of them similarly to the way I think of a MAC computer. Good machine, reliable, has it's strong points, does some things very well, not mainstream, has strong/passionate cult following, doesn't fair well outside it's intended market space.

Say... didn't Clint Eastwood have in A Fist Full of Dollars? :wink:

This is the same message consistantly heard around here. That message is: Experienced and advanced divers wear bp/w rigs.

That simply is not true. The bias is expressed in the phraseology post after post after post. Not just you "hoosier."

Actually, I'm not sure why I care. Maybe it's because one of my first posts on this board was the typical "which BC" question where I asked for opinions on the Stiletto vs the Knighthawk and 25 out of 30 replys told me how dumb I would be not to buy a bp/w rig. The other 5 posts were people who tried to answer my question and not impose their own personal style bias on me.

hoosier:
I totally agreed on what you said... Sometimes, some experiecned and advanced divers need to step back and recall their begining year of scuba. They are only talking within their current perspectives.

Don,
For what it's worth, I've just recently seen the "Stilletto" and that is one SLEEK B/C. I must admit that I've never seen a "Nighthawk", but I think it would be hard pressed to measure up given Zeagle's customer support.

I dived a Zeagle "Tech" for a number of years and am very pleased with Zeagle's quality and after sales support. I moved on to a B/P-wing combo, but have used the wing from my Zeagle "Tech" as the bladder of choice for some of the limited doubles diving that I have done.

Scott Zeagle is a member of the board and can generally be reached at any time. I find it absolutely, wonderfully amazing that a corporate muckity-muck (forgive me, Scott) takes the time to be so closely aligned with his/her customer base. (You probably, at this point, have discerned my bias towards Zeagle)

Just my opinion . . .

the K

hoosier:
I'm AOW with ~ 115 dives. I started using a bp/w with less than 50 dives.
Just FWIW.

The Kraken:
Don,
For what it's worth, I've just recently seen the "Stilletto" and that is one SLEEK B/C. I must admit that I've never seen a "Nighthawk", but I think it would be hard pressed to measure up given Zeagle's customer support.

Just my opinion . . .

the K

Finally, the chain has been broken. Thank you.

I got the Stiletto. Can testify to Zeagle's first rate service. I think the BC is great. It simply dissapears underwater. Lightweight, adjust fit to your hearts content, 5 perfectly located D-rings, plently of accessories available, mix and match technology, nice 1 pull release integrated weight system, dumpable rear trim pockets, dual tank straps, open front with no restriction of arm movement, excellent fit and finish. Of course that's based on my limited experience.

This is getting to be fun.

Don Janni,

I don't think you got my point properly. I didn't mentioned "all experienced and advanced divers wear bp/w rigs. bp/w rigs are only used by experienced and advanced divers" I said, "SOME." I know other experience and advanced divers wear an ordinary BC instead of bp/w rigs for their joyful diving. They really love their BCD, such as Zeagle or Black Diamond. Even some tech divers in my area use Transpac II instead of simple BP/W rigs. Some members argue, Transpac isn't a true bp/w rig though

My point is, "Some expereinced and advanced divers should look back their early stage of diving because every new divers has a different goal and requirement." Like I post earlier, I am also using Halcyon and Knighthawk (It proves that non-advanced diver uses BP/W rig:)). But, I don't think my Knighthawk is less capable for a sport diving. My buddy, GF, is using Triple_L BC. It works great like $635 Knighthawk. It isn't a big deal to buy another Halcyon set for her if she really needs it, but she is totally satisfied with $169 BC. Her skill is better than any other rescue divers. Therefore, I don't want to force or push anybody to get BP/W rigs. That is, everyone has their own preference and limits.

Whenever we talk about the gear fitting, what do we used to advise? Comfort! Am I right? If then, there is no exact answer unless they try it. I just don't like hear, "I have divee more than 20 years so that I know scuba diving more than anyone else. You had better follow my preference." How a great "I syndrom" it is!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom