BP/W or Knighthawk for beginner AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halfstep:
very helpful, thanks for the comments and the thread links.

then it's settled, I plan on diving in cold (NJ) and warm water so I'll purchase a transplate over the transpac, if only because of the negatively bouyant backplate.

I'm going to the smaller dive shop tomorrow, they carry Dive Rite but only special order. The fellow (an OMS fan) said he'd have a knowledgable Dive Rite person get me fit and setup, but we're still ordering from the catalog (at least I've tried on the M/L transpac at the crummy dive superstore and it fits). Oh yea, the guy at the crummy superstore told me a plate fit into the transpac, and, "that's how he dives." He attempted to attach the plate, eventually capitulated, and said, "you know what I mean." I didn't think the Transpac used or was even possibly to use with a plate??

Transplate Delxue Harness
Transplate (SS)
Crotch strap
Trim pouches

What about the Single Tank Adapater, tank cam setup... please be specific so I'll have and idea when I order in the store tomorrow.
Wing? :wink:

I started using a BP/wing with single piece webbing harness in the middle of my BOW class (dive #4) and my buddy started the class in one. I really like it, and only do single tank diving at this point (I'd recommend a single tank adapter - much more stable imho, though others have not had problems without one) If I ever want to move onto doubles I'll be able to.

Enjoy the adventure ....

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
I started using a BP/wing with single piece webbing harness in the middle of my BOW class (dive #4) and my buddy started the class in one. I really like it, and only do single tank diving at this point (I'd recommend a single tank adapter - much more stable imho, though others have not had problems without one) If I ever want to move onto doubles I'll be able to.

Enjoy the adventure ....

Aloha, Tim

thanks,

I'll get the Venture wing, as recommended.

FWIW - While I liked the venture (it's a good wing) I recently switched to a Halcyon Pioneer (sold my Venture to a frend and got the Pioneer for the same price :D ) I like the inflator on the Pioneer much better - it's a lot slower making it really easy to add small amounts of air - so if you find them for the same price, I'd recommend going with it - but you will not go wrong with the venture wing (and it's usually less expensive) Lots of other choices out there (and I'm sure folks will begin chiming in with their opinions) If it helps I put together a list of all the BP's and Wings I could find -Lots of good choices out there (DeepSea Supply, DiveRite, Halcyon, Oxycheq and well respected and frequently recommended on this board)

Aloha, Tim

Be alert. There are guite a few in this forum who advocate backplates like it's a religion. Asking that question around here is like walking into a Catholic Church and asking the Priest which demonination you should take up.

I just rolled over 50 dives so that would be approx 25 boat trips and I can honestly say I've seen 1 couple diving a backplate in that entire time.

Whatever you get, get it because it spoke to you and remember you don't become an instantly savvy, or better diver just because you've strapped a steel plate to your back.

When you walk into a place like ScubaToys why do you think they have something like 500+ BC's hanging on the wall and from the ceiling and maybe 2 backplates on display.

Just Food for Thought.................

Don Janni:
Be alert. There are guite a few in this forum who advocate backplates like it's a religion. Asking that question around here is like walking into a Catholic Church and asking the Priest which demonination you should take up.

I have yet to encounter any BP/W advocate telling another user why they need a BP/W. When I decided to purchase a BC nobody made me buy one or told that it was going revolutionize my diving. I did and it did, however, that's a different story.

Don Janni:
I just rolled over 50 dives so that would be approx 25 boat trips and I can honestly say I've seen 1 couple diving a backplate in that entire time.

It strange... before I had bought a BP/W I had only seen one person with one. Even after 5 dives with my BP/W I had already seen 6 more. In the 1/5th of my total dives that have been with a BP/W I have seen more people with them than the entire 4/5th of my dives without a BP/W. Perhaps I hadn't noticed it before, or perhaps it was because I started diving with more people than just the primarily recreational divers from one LDS.

Whatever you get, get it because it spoke to you and remember you don't become an instantly savvy, or better diver just because you've strapped a steel plate to your back.

I agree completely. After my first trial dive with a rented BP/W (a BWOD nonetheless :)) I was surprised by how much easier things were. Yes, I was still a newbie and yes, I still needed to be actively aware of my bouyancy control. A BP/W didn't instantly improve my bouyancy yet it made it much easier for me to control.

When you walk into a place like ScubaToys why do you think they have something like 500+ BC's hanging on the wall and from the ceiling and maybe 2 backplates on display.

Maybe Larry would like to answer this; however, I'll give it a shot. The majority of divers buy jacket style BC's instead of BP/W simply because they either:
1) Don't know about BP/Ws
2) Think BP/Ws are something only for tech divers
3) Notice how many companies sell BCs compaired to BP/W and thus come to the conclusion that BC's are better
4) Their OW instructor didn't use one and so they won't buy one. Since new OW divers make up large portion of most LDS's sales they might buy a BC before they are fully informed about BP/Ws.
5) Don't laugh - maybe they actually like a BC better than a BP/W? Stranger things have happened.... :D

#1 is why some many BP/W users are eager to praise BP/Ws.

Food for though: Have you ever noticed how a high end "tech" BC is more expensive then a BP/W?

Don Janni:

Two posts and already starting the trash talk. Nice ... but I'd prefer to think that there are quite a few in this forum who advocate backplates because we'd like to share our own experiences and see if we can save those who are asking the needless expense that we went through.

Don Janni:

Well, I'm impressed ... for many of us that's less than two months worth of diving. It's just possible that we know something about gear you haven't had time to figure out yet. FWIW - I wore out two traditional BCD's ... about 500 dives ... before I started diving a backplate. So they're not popular in your area ... could be a lot of reasons for that. See below ...

Don Janni:

Only bottom time and proper training will make you a better diver ... higher-end gear will, however, help you make best use of the skills you've already acquired.

Don Janni:

As an instructor, I can give you a few reasons ...

1) Dive shops are, first and foremost, a business. They make a higher margin on traditional BCD's than they do on backplates ... so they'll prefer to sell you the product that earns them the most money.

2) BCD's wear out ... so you have to go back to the dive shop and replace them. Again, better for the business.

3) Newer divers tend to look at price first, and purchase "starter" models ... then come back in a couple of years and replace them with more expensive, higher-performance models after they've had enough bottom time to figure out why the low-end BCD they purchased was such a "good deal". Again, it's better for the LDS business.

Also keep in mind that new divers tend to purchase what they use in class, or what they see their instructor using. That's why most shops insist that their shop staff use the gear the store sells. Promoting shop sales is part of the instructor's job.

Now, let's contrast that to a BP/wing ...

1) Profit margins aren't particularly high ... you can purchase a complete BP/W setup for $350 to $500 ... go ahead and price compare that to your typical SeaQuest, ScubaPro or Zeagle BCD.

2) Backplates don't wear out. When the harness eventually does, it costs about $20 to replace it. If you should need a new wing, it's between $200 and $300. Compare that to a BCD replacement.

3) You don't ever need to upgrade to a higher-end backplate system. At best, you'll find a wing who's buoyancy characteristics you like better. See above.

In short, most dive shops don't promote backplates simply because they are not the most profitable item for the shop to promote. The consumer who purchases a BP/W system will spend less than the one who purchases a standard BCD ... and over the course of years, will end up spending less to maintain and/or upgrade as their experience level offers them the opportunities to dive in different, and more challenging, conditions.

Don Janni:

Bon apetit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don Janni:
Wow... things must be different down south than they are up here in the Northeast where drysuits and steel doubles are the norm. I've only been on three NJ boats and less than a dozen Ontario boats, but all but a total of maybe 4 of the divers on the boats with me had backplates..

Don Janni:

That's a question for a whole other thread... maybe because that's what's used in OW classes... that's what the big manufacturers push.. that's what the profits are on..

Big Jon,
It is a pretty rare occurrence to see a B/P-wing set up down here, especially on the dive boats. Most of the diving done down here is in water that you guys up there call "hot" when ya take a bath. :D

the K

The Kraken:
Big Jon,
It is a pretty rare occurrence to see a B/P-wing set up down here, especially on the dive boats. Most of the diving done down here is in water that you guys up there call "hot" when ya take a bath. :D

the K
Figured as much.... but I also noticed the original poster is from New Jersey so Don's observations about dive boats don't really apply in any way to the thread do they :wink:

Back
Top Bottom