BP/W BCD-I am puzzled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think that DSS products are as good as OMS or DiveRite products?
Yes, and more.

DSS makes quality gear and backs it up with good customer service. Tobin, the owner frequently post here as well.

I do not think that he is uninformed. Maybe he says that because he sells OMS and DiveRite products. Or maybe he had some unpleasent thing with other brands. I am not sure. I could not discuss this with him because I do not have any proper knowladge. I even am not sure about how to set up a nice BP/W to use with singles. There are numerous brands and numerous types of harnesses, backplates, wings, etc... So based on your statement, which one to buy is I think a personal choice not a quality concern. Right? Do you think that DSS products are as good as OMS or DiveRite products?

I think DSS products are just fine, and I am sure that your instructor's opinion is based solely on the fact that he sells Dive-Rite and OMS.

Now, there may be some politics you want to deal in. Are you absolutely sure you want this instructor to be your tech instructor? If so, realize you will be working with him for a long time, and you will want him to be as cooperative as possible. You will want him to hep you with equipment setup to start with. You want a good relationship.

In that case, it might be wise for you to purchase through him. It might be a smart move even if it costs you a little more.

I could not discuss this with him because I do not have any proper knowladge. I even am not sure about how to set up a nice BP/W to use with singles.

Well, you're taking the right steps here. Also, you should definitely take the time you have with your instructor to learn as much as you can, and also to challenge him to further explain issues to which you haven't received a complete or satisfactory answer. It's your money, you should get what you pay for, right? :)

Do you think that DSS products are as good as OMS or DiveRite products?

DSS is easily as good. I would not hesitate for a second to buy from them.

DSS rigs are top notch. They have a well thought out design, are superbly made and use quality materials. The only place where DSS fails is in mass marketing. They don't do it, because they are small and make their own gear (as opposed to slapping their name on stuff made under contract by some anonymous factory).

Last week I had the opportunity to tour the DSS factory. The amount of effort they put into making sure that their products are exact is very impressive.

I think DSS products are just fine, and I am sure that your instructor's opinion is based solely on the fact that he sells Dive-Rite and OMS.

Now, there may be some politics you want to deal in. Are you absolutely sure you want this instructor to be your tech instructor? If so, realize you will be working with him for a long time, and you will want him to be as cooperative as possible. You will want him to hep you with equipment setup to start with. You want a good relationship.

In that case, it might be wise for you to purchase through him. It might be a smart move even if it costs you a little more.

Yes I want this instructor to be my tech instructor. Infact I like him. He knows that I am on a budget and really helps me about payments and makes discounts for me. He sometimes gives me the equipment I need and do not want any money. I pay him when I want. So it's based on trust. You are right that I need a good relationship. So do you think that I must not order from internet and buy the equipment I want through him? Hmmm I think that you are absolutely right. When he sees that BP/W purchased from another source, he wont feel nice. I will think about that, thank you.

Yes I want this instructor to be my tech instructor. Infact I like him. He knows that I am on a budget and really helps me about payments and makes discounts for me. He sometimes gives me the equipment I need and do not want any money. I pay him when I want. So it's based on trust. You are right that I need a good relationship. So do you think that I must not order from internet and buy the equipment I want through him? Hmmm I think that you are absolutely right. When he sees that BP/W purchased from another source, he wont feel nice. I will think about that, thank you.

I am buying almost all of my tech equipment through my shop, even if I can get it a little cheaper somewhere else. The only exception is for things they don't sell, like cave reels. The shop has been very good to me and my need to practice, store gear, etc. I feel I owe them something in return.

If I were you, I would feel very awkward going to my instructor and saying something like, "I really appreciate how good and helpful you have been to me. I have one more favor to ask. I just bought this equipment over the Internet instead of from you. Could you please show me how to put it together? And then can we talk about the schedule when you will show me how to use it?"

Ok, thanks for your replies. I too was thinking about if his statements were based on some kind of financial benefit. I think you are right that he trys to sell me a recreational diving BCD now and a full set of technical diving BCD later, when I want to learn technical diving. So I am glad that I asked this question here before I buy any equipment.

Based on your statements, buying a BP/single Wing, will be a smart decision. If I move in technical diving I can just a buy a doubles wing, but if I do not move in, I can still use my BP/W set.

I think you've got the right idea!

It always troubles me when a salesman and a teacher are the same person. Gear "education" can easily become a sales pitch. If you have recounted your instructor's comments accurately, he is clearly trying to steer you in a particular direction and is not really answering your basic and appropriate questions. To me this does not speak well for him as an instructor. However, please take that comment with a grain of salt, because I wasn't there to hear what he said exactly.

An hour ago, I called my instructer and told him that I changed my mind about buying a recreational diving BCD and instead would like to buy a BP/W system for singles. He really got puzzled and asked me, what made you change your mind, (hehe..grin..never told him about you guys here) I said, well I like those technical stuff much more than the plastic looking recreational diving stuff :p. And he kept on saying, it will be hard for you to use a wing system for even singels. I told, but at least it will be smaller than the wing for doubles, he started his statement as "but..." and I intervened kept on saying, and it will be looking nice. He continued,...but it will still be bigger than a recreational diving bcd, it will be hard for you to stabilize the tank even by means of an STA. It will also be hard for you to control your balance on the surface of the water. But I insisted and wanted him to tell me the prices for a BP/W set for singles. He at last said, oh ok, if you say so. If you want a system like that, I will sell you one. It will cost you around 450$-500$. I think that's a good price to buy from him :wink:.

Do you think that it will really be hard for me to stabilize my balance on the surface of the water? I once read somewhere that, back inflated BCD's effects your balance and you fell on the surface of the water on your face. In that writing I read, there was also written that, in the event of an emergency, those back inflated bcd are dangerous, because it keeps pushing your face into the water. Will the BP/W system have the same problem?

Thank you.

This guy is feeding you a line, or he does not know some pretty basic stuff about dive gear. Either way, I would start looking for a new instructor. The quality of tech instruction is pretty important.

Regarding the wing size, if all he sells are OMS and dive rite wings, many of those are bigger than they need to be for single tanks. Personally I would avoid OMS gear altogether. OMS has a horrible reputation for customer service, and since there are so many other excellent choices, there's no reason to risk having a problem. Dive rite has great customer service, as does DSS and oxycheq. The only dive rite wing appropriate for single tank use is the travel wing, and even with that you have to be a little careful. Dive rite went through a phase where the travel wing was a huge square; thankfully this passed quickly and now they have the travel EXP, which is a nice wing. The venture wing is too big; who knows what dive rite was thinking with that one. Ironically, it used to be a nice small wing, then they super-sized it.

Try a place called caveadventurers.com. They could sell you an oxycheq mach V wing with a steel plate and hogarthian harness for around $350 (a guess) and you'd have a very nice single tank set up. The mach V wing does not need a STA. You could probably get an even better deal if you bought a doubles wing at the same time; then you'd have both. You'll have to investigate shipping and import tax to Turkey, though.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom