BP/W BCD-I am puzzled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of wings that don't have inbuilt stabilizers like the eclipse, older oxycheq and so needs an sta. This doesn't make them any worse off as mini sta from Oxycheq gives a bit more adjustments as you can change the direction of it and increase or lower the height of the cam bands.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OxyCheq_Mini_Single_Tank_Adapter

I designed this travel plate and made more slits and mounting holes along the spine to allow a greater range of adjustments.

My advice would be to get the bp/w from places like scubatoys or some of the other board supporters and dive with the instructor. That way you can see for yourself how good he is and if he sucks you didn't waste your money and if he's really good you can take more classes from him..

SangP

Attachments

• Custom Plate.jpg
    Custom Plate.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 53
You guys here told me that it's possible a BP/W BCD for singles in rec diving but my instructor says it will be inconvenient

I absolutely agree with him. I haven't read any of this thread other than your opening post, and I have no doubt I'll be shot down by the usual suspects just as has happened before, but use the right gear for the job. You CAN use a backplate and wing with a single tank, but assuming you don't buy a specially small one just for use with a single tank and you actually get a bigger one that you can use with doubles, you will indeed find it clumsy, and possibly difficult to get air out of (depends on the design of wing, but it's often the case).

Just my view of course, but one apparently shared by your own instructor (whose views I imagine you respect?). My own credentials are that I have been using wings for 12+ years, sometimes with a backplate but more often with a soft harness such as the DiveRite Transpac), and I've been a tech instructor and deep trimix diver for 8 years. There are some vociferous people who will espouse the use of a backplate and wing for all diving, even basic students in training. No doubt some have posted here. I don't agree with them.

Your instructor has clearly never used a BP/W single tank setup.

Just spotted this, from an old favourite. Unless you know the instructor has not used this setup your statement is outrageous, and shows your automatic bias against anyone not agreeing with your view that a "BP/W" (horrible term) is the answer to everything. I have done quite a few dives with the setup you are suggesting, probably >30, and I've dived with lots of people using the setup. I don't like the arrangement.

Unless you know the instructor has not used this setup your statement is outrageous, and shows your automatic bias against anyone not agreeing with your view that a "BP/W" (horrible term) is the answer to everything.

IMHO, this doesn't follow. The ability of an STA/wobble stopper to keep a tank firmly strapped against the rig is more or less quantitative, you can demonstrate and prove it, and as TS&M has stated, it's incredibly secure, vis-a-vis a jacket BC (which if you think about it, uses essentially the same mechanism). It's highly likely that anyone who claims otherwise simply has not used the setup, or has not set it up correctly (or possibly has used an unusually ineffective or broken version). To me, it doesn't display a bias at all against a non-bp/w view.

I don't like the arrangement.

That's fine, and if the instructor in question doesn't like it either, that's also fine. But to claim that an STA/wobble-stopper is incapable of securing a tank to the rig, is quite simply, and measurably, incorrect.

My experience of BP/W

I bought my first BCD after 19 dives and it was a DSS Long Stainless Plate with HOG harnes and Taurus 26 wing for single tank diving.

It was the best move I ever made. 14 dives in 6 days in Fiji confirmed that! Tank doesn't move about on me, feel free of squeeze, excess lead and jacket BCD riding up.

Try what you want to is my advice - I loved the BP/W but you may not.

I use DSS wings with wobble-stoppers, and the tank does not move. I have dived everything from Aluminum 80s (I think you call them 12Ls) to steel 130s, which are big, heavy tanks. An STA is, if anything, even more secure. Your instructor has clearly never used a BP/W single tank setup.

It depends on the working pressure. eg.

10lt x 232 bar = 2320lt. approximately 80cft
12lt x 232 bar = 2784lt. approximately 100cft

10lt x 300bar = 3000lt. approximately 105cft. Not to say they don't exist, but I'v never seen a 300 bar aluminium tank.

Last edited:
Just spotted this, from an old favourite. Unless you know the instructor has not used this setup your statement is outrageous, and shows your automatic bias against anyone not agreeing with your view that a "BP/W" (horrible term) is the answer to everything.

First of all, nobody said that a "BP/W is the answer to everything"

What was said by the OP's technical instructor were several mis-statements and falsehoods about single tank diving and BP/W set ups. This would easily lead someone to believe that the instructor was simply not familiar with this type of set up.

It's amazing to me how defensive people get in this perpetual discussion.

The OP went into a shop and requested to buy a backplate and wing system. The instructor in the shop has given him some misinformation about the equipment. That this is misinformation is provable, and someone has already given a video link that shows it. I stand by my statement that someone who does not believe a tank can be held securely on a backplate has little or no experience with single tank rigs.

I did not anywhere say that a backplate system is the be-all and end-all of recreational rigs. But the OP wants one, and he's being misled. I think that needs to be clarified, and I find a technical instructor who is providing this misinformation to be worrisome.

Thanks to everyone for all the posts you send. I think this is enough debate on this particular topic :) I learned alot from this thread and glad that I stareted it. See you later on another thread. :)

I use both depending on where I am diving. Warm water Carribean with a wetsuit and possibly waiting around on the surface for the boat then the BCD is best as it is better to keep your face out of the water. The wing on your back and no other bouyancy is not fun.

In the cold water and with a dry suit on then the wings are the best. They sort of let you hang from your perfect trim while the bcd tries to bouy you from under which is not good.

Doubles and dry suit need a double wing but I have loads of lift with my single 130, diverite venture (27lb lift) and wet suit. Some guys tell me that if your in a dry suit you do not need a wing but remember to bring along your lift bag.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom