BP/W BCD-I am puzzled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, thanks for your replies. I too was thinking about if his statements were based on some kind of financial benefit. I think you are right that he trys to sell me a recreational diving BCD now and a full set of technical diving BCD later, when I want to learn technical diving. So I am glad that I asked this question here before I buy any equipment.

Based on your statements, buying a BP/single Wing, will be a smart decision. If I move in technical diving I can just a buy a doubles wing, but if I do not move in, I can still use my BP/W set.

I noticed that the op appears to be from Turkey so it might just be a language thing.

That's right. I am from Turkey. Sorry if my English is incomprehensible. I am doing my best to communicate :)

..., but there is a good reason for that. I have only so much money to spend in my life, and I have many important purchases on the horizon.

Well, I am on a budget so I must spend for the equipment once and use it a long time.

Based on your statements, buying a BP/single Wing, will be a smart decision. If I move in technical diving I can just a buy a doubles wing, but if I do not move in, I can still use my BP/W set.

Sounds like a good plan.

Well, I am on a budget so I must spend for the equipment once and use it a long time.

That's exactly why I have kept the BCD for singles. As I noted above, buying a backplate, STA, and singles wing sounds like a good move if only because it will save you money down the road.

As we discussed elsewhere, if you use a single tank with a backplate, you need something to stabilize the tank, and that can either be a wobble-stopper on the wing, or an STA. If you use an STA, it bolts onto the backplate, and the cambands run through it. There is no need to bolt and unbolt anything every time you dive -- you simply take the tank out of the cambands, as you would with any other BC. If you use a wobble-stopper wing, you don't bolt or unbolt anything, ever; the wing is sandwiched between the tank and the plate, the cambands run through the plate, and the cambands hold the tank tightly against the wobble-stopper.

I hate to say it, but it sounds as though your instructor might be hoping he can sell you a recreational BC and then sell you a plate and doubles wing later.

Because English is not my native tongue I must clearly understand the terminolagy. Let me try to understand the terminolagy better, so that I will be able to ask better question to my instructor.

STA : The thing that holds two tanks togather
Camband : The belt that goes through the single tank adapter and hugs the tank so that it's secured on to the BP/W (so you do not need any bolt)
Wobble-stopper : The equipment that you use to better secure the tank so it
will not wobble. I think that's attached on to the camband? Is
that right?

Is it possible to use a camband without a single tank adapter? From your statement "...the cambands run through the plate.." I understand that it is possible.

Thank you.

Ok, thanks for your replies. I too was thinking about if his statements were based on some kind of financial benefit. I think you are right that he trys to sell me a recreational diving BCD now and a full set of technical diving BCD later, when I want to learn technical diving. So I am glad that I asked this question here before I buy any equipment.

Good plan.

Because English is not my native tongue I must clearly understand the terminolagy. Let me try to understand the terminolagy better, so that I will be able to ask better question to my instructor.

Camband : The belt that goes through the single tank adapter and hugs the tank so that it's secured on to the BP/W (so you do not need any bolt)
Wobble-stopper : The equipment that you use to better secure the tank so it
will not wobble. I think that's attached on to the camband? Is
that right?

Is it possible to use a camband without a single tank adapter? From your statement "...the cambands run through the plate.." I understand that it is possible.

Thank you.

STA = Single Tank Adapter. It is bolted to your back plate and used to secure a single tank by the use of cam straps.

Some back plates do not require a STA when using it to dive singles. Some do.

To expand on what Teamcasa said:

When you dive with two tanks, they are held together by steel bands. These bands have bolts through them. These bolts go through holes in your wing and your back plate to hold everything together.

If you are diving with a single tank, you don't have the tank bands with the bolts, so you have to find some other way to put everything together. Single Tank Adapters (STAs) are typically used. There are a number of different designs, but what they do is provide a replacement for the bolts that go through the tank bands on double tanks.

Back
Top Bottom