Boycott Starbucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver:
How many of you work with the general public and visit thier homes? It's a shock to see poor peoples homes. They live in a $10,000 house, on a 30 year mortage but they have a $5000 flat panel on the wall and a Bose suround sound system. They often have $5000 car with $10000 worth of wheels, rims, stereo and speakers.

Back in my cab driving days I saw poor like that (other than the car an flat panel which still in the future) but they were a lot less common than you make out. Mostly what I ran into was women stiffed by a guy or guys, the old folks in a neighboorhood that had gone down, and essentially honest people with no skills or education.

But then I had a rule against picking up anyone dressed like they wanted you to think they were a thug.

Somewhere in there is as much wasted talent as there is in the average corporate division of salary folks. Maybe it's possible to make a world where we tap that.

Obviously almost no one wants to reward the lazy. But seriously, the world is capable of improvement. If nothing else there's a lot of talent going to waste.

This is a great point. Some feel that the talent will remain unused if it is minimally compensated to do nothing. Others suggest that the talent needs to be assured it will retain the fruits of its labor before it will act. And there is a lot of talent being underutilized in heirarchies (like govenrment or large corporations) that have inflexible approaches towards problem solving.

Finding the key to release people to achieve their potential has been elusive throughout history.

Back in my cab driving days I saw poor like that (other than the car an flat panel which still in the future) but they were a lot less common than you make out. Mostly what I ran into was women stiffed by a guy or guys, the old folks in a neighboorhood that had gone down, and essentially honest people with no skills or education.

But then I had a rule against picking up anyone dressed like they wanted you to think they were a thug.

Somewhere in there is as much wasted talent as there is in the average corporate division of salary folks. Maybe it's possible to make a world where we tap that.

I had well over 20 years in law enforcement and now am an administrator in a Title 1 school system, 73% free lunch.

The section 8 homes with fancy stereos, tvs and game systems, the expensive designer clothing, these are the rule rather than the exception.

There are valid sociological explanations for the 'style over substance" behavior; but these explanations only apply to the willfully ignorant.

The "style over substance" and as someone put it "buying what they want and begging for at they need" was woefully illustrated by a news story last winter.

A single parent household was profiled on the news, they were asking for donations to repair their heating system. As the camera panned throughout the house it was noted that every room in the house had a large tv, all members of the household had cell phones, all were dressed in designer clothing, each room had a high end game system, dvds were piled at random.

Selling a tv and a game system would have paid for the repairs....

Adurso, I may have been or still be clueless but I wasn't willfully blind. I earn my living noticing sh!t.

I stand by what I said about the folks I drove around for five years, and believe me I met every sort I never imagined, ha.

I often wonder how cops and admins are biased by always dealing with problems. I just saw a more random cross section. Wherever I dropped off I'd try to pick up.

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I think we have room to improve.

Starbucks sells no beer, therefore, I boycott them.

Adurso, I may have been or still be clueless but I wasn't willfully blind. I earn my living noticing sh!t.

I stand by what I said about the folks I drove around for five years, and believe me I met every sort I never imagined, ha.

I often wonder how cops and admins are biased by always dealing with problems. I just saw a more random cross section. Wherever I dropped off I'd try to pick up.

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I think we have room to improve.

I am only speaking anecdotally; your experiences may differ, but as a cabbie I would wager you spent less time in the homes of your fares than those who must respond to the calls for service, including fire and medical personnel.

The bias of always dealing with problems is real, and is something that will color perceptions, if one allows it to.

Nothing wrong with being a Pollyanna, nor with thinking there is room to improve.

What do you do that you earn a living "noticing sh!t"?

What do you do that you earn a living "noticing sh!t"?

He takes cool pictures of tiny sch!t :thumb:

Starbucks sells no beer, therefore, I boycott them.
Prepare to abandon your boycott:

"Starbucks Corp. will add beer and wine to its menu of coffees, teas and snacks at one of its Seattle locations. The store has been named “15th Avenue Coffee and Tea inspired by Starbucks” and will open Friday.

Starbucks plans to serve alcohol at two additional stores in Seattle and is determining locations for these stores, which will open in the coming months, a Starbucks spokeswoman said. The performance of the Seattle area stores will determine if Starbucks will sell alcohol elsewhere."

Starbucks experimenting with beer, wine - San Francisco Business Times

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom