Boycott Starbucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are 5 applicants for every open job in America right now. I've heard of companies thinning down the resumes by taking anyone who is unemployed & tossing theirs in the trash, as much to reduce how many people they have to look at as for any other reason.

A manager with an opening to fill can reasonably, IMHO, filter out any who can't make it to the interview on time. Clearly something is more important to them than the interview is. It really isn't that managers problem just what that might be, it's sufficient that he knows the job comes in 2nd.

Did I trip and fall into the Pub?

It is axiomatic that if wealth was actually redistributed within ten years it will be back in the hands of the few...

Those who believe it is difficult to accumulate wealth should read The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko....

Well I don't feel like supporting or carrying the stupid, lazy or weak...despite the fact that you may find some of them interesting.

That's kind of making my point for me, thanks Em. I'm no better, I don't want to carry them either. But I don't call that 'good'. That's almost the opposite when I put my ethical sense in.

I honestly don't know where the line between a helping hand and subsidizing a dream is.

Do you honestly not try at all? I mean you generically, not personally. If we didnt try for more than nature was handing out to the quick and the strong we wouldn't be very far along, would we? I'd be dead of gall stones , personally.

I always liked that bit in the 'the year of living dangerously', where Helen Hunt talks about bringing light to ONE person or family. I'd like to live up to that.

That's kind of making my point for me, thanks Em. I'm no better, I don't want to carry them either. But I don't call that 'good'. That's almost the opposite when I put my ethical sense in.

I honestly don't know where the line between a helping hand and subsidizing a dream is.

Do you honestly not try at all? I mean you generically, not personally. If we didnt try for more than nature was handing out to the quick and the strong we wouldn't be very far along, would we? I'd be dead of gall stones , personally.

I always liked that bit in the 'the year of living dangerously', where Helen Hunt talks about bringing light to ONE person or family. I'd like to live up to that.

That's all well and good, I give to charities because I can and I can assure you Em does too, to assume otherwise is highly presumptuous. Bottom line, success should not be punished anymore than lazyness should be rewarded.

I didn't know they served coffee in The Pub!

there are 5 applicants for every open job in America right now. I've heard of companies thinning down the resumes by taking anyone who is unemployed & tossing theirs in the trash, as much to reduce how many people they have to look at as for any other reason.

A manager with an opening to fill can reasonably, IMHO, filter out any who can't make it to the interview on time. Clearly something is more important to them than the interview is. It really isn't that managers problem just what that might be, it's sufficient that he knows the job comes in 2nd.

Not disagreeing at all. That is the hiring decision. There is a bit more that I see. It is the refusal of a manager of a retail establishment to meet with a potential customer (even if they have already blown their shot at becoming an employee). Ensuring satisfied customers is generally a priority among retail managers.

The OP is upset over the refusal to meet (at least that's one of the things I got from reading the OP). He has requested support in refusal to patronize the chain. Is this unreasonable? I don't see it that way.

In a free society, he has the right to recruit others to his point of view. And we have the freedom to discuss the merits of both his point of view, and the merits of the chain in question (among other things).

I am thankful I live in a society where this can be discussed and debated (even argued and parodied). And I'm appreciative of the OP serving in a country that does not have the same freedom, in pursuit of terrorists who wish to deprive us of our freedom.

I see capitalism as one of the reasons I have alternatives to Starbucks. The simple fact that consumers can vote with their dollars keeps retailers responsive. Will it work in this case? Who knows?

Want to knw why the poor stay poor? They have a "poor persons" mentality. They exist in a world of instant gratification. They get a paycheck and go out to eat, they buy beer and cigs with it. They go to the movies, they buy that HD TV they have been looking at in Wallyworld. They don't care that thier car payment is due in 3 weeks. They don't care that rent is due next week. They have no savings, and live paycheck to paycheck because they want to. It's not fun to save money and live cheaply.

How many of you work with the general public and visit thier homes? It's a shock to see poor peoples homes. They live in a $10,000 house, on a 30 year mortage but they have a $5000 flat panel on the wall and a Bose suround sound system. They often have $5000 car with $10000 worth of wheels, rims, stereo and speakers.

These are also the same people sucking off the teat of the gov't too. I have no sympathy for "poor" people like that.

That's all well and good, I give to charities because I can and I can assure you Em does too, to assume otherwise is highly presumptuous. Bottom line, success should not be punished anymore than lazyness should be rewarded.

Wasn't presuming anything other than that you two were probably better than your last posts, as Ive seen repeatedly on LF and other threads.

I think most people here are kinder than their posting makes them seem.

Obviously almost no one wants to reward the lazy. But seriously, the world is capable of improvement. If nothing else there's a lot of talent going to waste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom