Bonaire October 7-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ETnScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I must have the best non-diving wife in the world! :D She told me she wanted to go to Bonaire for our fall vacation instead of going back to Mexico. Boy - I going to owe her big!!! :11doh:

I will be diving with my daughter, who recently recieved her JrOW certification, for her first salt water experience. My wife wants to do a little snorkling, but has no desire to dive. She said if she has a lawn chair, a shade tree and a few books she would be happy.

Are there any other SB'ers going to Bonaire this week? I'm expecting to want to dive much more than my daughter (she also wants to try her hand at windsurfing and wants to go on some bike trips with her Mom) so if anyone wants to get together, just let me know.

We're flying out of Atlanta to Houston on Friday night October 6, and taking taking the Contiental red eye out of Houston that night. We're booked at the Sand Dollar and will be diving with Bonaire Dive and Adventure.

Ken

Don't I wish I could join you. PBD (Post Bonaire Depression) was really bad this year. Drink a lot of water and have a great time. If your wife is going to snorkle, I would highly suggest you INVEST in a dive skin for her. The Bonaire sun will cook you in short order and if you want to return, having a cooked wife early in the week is not the least bit helpful in convincing her she had a great time. (hence the investment). If your wife likes horses, there is a place that takes you on rides to Lac Bay. Several from my group went in July and had a blast. There are loads of post on this board with tips on making your trip a good one, it's well worth the time to do a search and read them.

Biodiversity_guy:
Also, you should check out www.bonairetalk.com. The forum there might be able to help you find some other enthusiastic divers in Bonaire at the same time you are.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/cgi-local/bbs/discus.cgi?pg=topics

Bio_Guy - I've been lurking around bonairetalk for several weeks, but have never posted. I'll take your advise and put a post up there. I posted here hoping to meet up with some SB'ers, since all I've enjoyed the company of the ones I've met from here.

It is also Regatta week when you are there, so there may be some other entertainment opportunities.

I just got back from Bonaire last week. Fanastic diving! We also stayed at the Sand Dollar. The dive shop is good. Nice set up for storing tanks and gear.
My only complaint was that the Nitrox was closed at 4:30 and doesnt open till 8:30am.
If you plan on night dives or early morning dives you need to plan ahead. You can sign out tanks and put them in a locker that you have a key to so that you can use them when the shop is closed. Air tanks are available till 9:30pm. Some of the best dives we did were right in front of the Sand Dollar. There are 2 resident sea horses. We saw both. We did 22 dives in 6 days. avg. 4 a day. Must do dives were Salt Pier (worth the extra dollars) Go find Benji in the shop and he can arrange it for you. He is charges 5$ less than the shop does. (Tell him Art and Karen Malone sent you) We saw a 6ft nurse shark there which he says are rarely if never seen on that side of the island. Also a must do is the Hilma Hooker. We did from shore as the boats have a short bottom time on this one. Also must do is a 1000 steps. Do this from their boat.
My other biggest complaint about the dive shop was their choice in dive sites. THey tend to do whats close and easy. You can request a site and you might need to be pushy about it.
We found food a little expensive. For great ribs at a good price try the Rib Factory down by the water. KFC was good too. We'd buy a big bucket for dinner and save some for a quick on the go lunch the next day! We found stopping to eat cut into our dive time as they are a little slow in service.
All and all a great trip and I'm looking forward to going again.
If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Kaz

skynscuba:
It is also Regatta week when you are there, so there may be some other entertainment opportunities.
I read about this and was hoping there might be something interesting to see. I'll post a report when I get back.

KazInAz:
My only complaint was that the Nitrox was closed at 4:30 and doesnt open till 8:30am.
If you plan on night dives or early morning dives you need to plan ahead. You can sign out tanks and put them in a locker that you have a key to so that you can use them when the shop is closed. Air tanks are available till 9:30pm. Some of the best dives we did were right in front of the Sand Dollar.
Also a must do is the Hilma Hooker. We did from shore as the boats have a short bottom time on this one. Also must do is a 1000 steps. Do this from their boat.
We found food a little expensive. For great ribs at a good price try the Rib Factory down by the water. KFC was good too. We'd buy a big bucket for dinner and save some for a quick on the go lunch the next day! We found stopping to eat cut into our dive time as they are a little slow in service.
Kaz - thanks for the tips. I didn't know about the Nitrox - I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been reading posts about places to eat and keep seeing Rib Factory showing up. We'll have to go there. Thanks again.

29 days and counting!

ET,

Please feel free to stop by and visit! Always great to meet a fellow SB'er! Regatta week will be great! Lots of things to do at night! Oh, FYI to all...little to no wind during the day, VERY hot sun.....be prepared, bring lots of sunblock!

Liz

Great photos, Kaz. What are you shooting with? I like the way that you arranged photos by dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom