Bonaire-- 3mm wetsuit or 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite suit for Bonaire diving is a speedo......

bnajdrovsky:
3 mil should be plenty. I brought mine for the ScubaBoard trip last year, but spent the whole time diving in my shorty instead. This year, I may not even bring the 3 mil. (that's right, El Orans, I'm planning on joining Natasha's merry band of SB'ers again. ;-) )
Lucky you!

jepuskar:
Ohh Herman, what do you know about Bonaire?

Only a little, I only have somewhere around 150 to 175 hrs logged under water in Bonaire.....and have more in the planning stages.

herman:
Only a little, I only have somewhere around 150 to 175 hrs logged under water in Bonaire.....and have more in the planning stages.

I worked in Bonaire for 9 mths and only ever used a 3mm suit.
Who you gonna be diving with? Where are you staying? How long you going to be there for? If you get the chance take a dive boat to Klein Bonaire some nice easy diving there for newlings..........Whatever.......... have fun! :14: If you need any advice about the island let me know.

Thanks Argos.

We'll be down there from Feb 16-28, and will be staying with former neighbors who moved to Bonaire a few years ago and are now permanent residents. Both have done lots of diving around the world, and Bonaire was their favorite destination. They are very exeperienced, and I will trust them to set our diving itinerary. I feel pretty lucky to be doing this with them.

Three mm wet suit it is then. Thanks for all of the good advice everyone.

In December, I was fine in a 3mm doing 4+ dives per day. Some people used a hood on their night dives, but more for bump protection than temp control. Water temp was 80-85 all the time.

Puck:
Water temp was 80-85 all the time.

Man, as a first year diver who has yet to experience warm water diving that seems incomprehensible! I hope I can adapt!

Pete

bnajdrovsky:
Heh... I suppose goin' commando would get some funny looks. :wink:

Actually - way up at Taylor Maid there'd be nobody to give any looks except who you took with you.

I dove there in early April (mostly boat dives), with water temps around 80 degrees, and the air a bit warmer, and with strong sunshine.

I used a 3mm full suit and was comfortable the entire time under water. In the sun, between dives, I stripped off the top part to get cool, and I used a wind shirt to protect from the sun and boat-breeze. On shore it was always shorts and T-shirt.

A chum added a beanie for her perfect balance. Another chum was comfortable in a shortie.

I think about half the divers I saw were using shorties, and the other half fullsuits. No gloves allowed, BTW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom