Bonaire-- 3mm wetsuit or 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robtjm

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver. We will be in Bonaire toward the end of February and I hope to do some diving.

Would I be better served with a 3mm wetsuit or a 5mm wetsuit. I would like to wear a full length suit, I think. I'd prefer a 3mm, to keep my weight load down. But I don't want to have to cut a dive short because of cold.

Thanks.

I've been to Bonaire twice. Never felt cold with my 3mm full.

Haave done both shortie and 3/2 mm. Depends on how easily you get cold really. And remember...you lose a lot of heat with the repetitive diving you can do there.

I wear my 3mil with a skin underneath...never been chilly and always comfortable. I have been there 3 times ... ahhhhh...can't wait for the 4th

3 mil should be plenty. I brought mine for the ScubaBoard trip last year, but spent the whole time diving in my shorty instead. This year, I may not even bring the 3 mil. (that's right, El Orans, I'm planning on joining Natasha's merry band of SB'ers again. ;-) )

Whatever makes you comfortable.

I'd recommend a full 3mm and since you'll be doing a lot of repetitive diving over many days a beanie and skin in case you begin to feel chilled.

Welcome to the board

It really depends on you. I have a friend that dives a full 5mm with a hood in Bonaire. I have never worn more than a fleece lined skin, about the equiv of a 0.5mm wetsuit. I have not had any trouble being cold. The 3mm should be plenty. If you still want more, take along a hood, it's more helpful than the extra 2mm of neoprene.

Robtjm:
I am a new diver. We will be in Bonaire toward the end of February and I hope to do some diving.
Hope to do some diving? Why else would you go?:D

Well, actually, we're going to visit friends who live there. I figured I'd try diving while there. Got certified last fall.

Back
Top Bottom