Bolt-snaps / Bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got done paying too much for a swivel SS bolt snap to attach a SPG to the left hip D-ring. I felt nauseous from my lapse in judgment as I was driving home so decided to stop by the local mega-hardware store to see what it would have cost if I had some confidence and some smarts 30 minutes earlier.... 25% the scuba store's price. Anyway - questions;

1) Can you buy bolt snaps at Home Depot, Lowes etc? - what are the important qualities?

2) what metals are best? This particular store only had zinc and bronze. Doesn't Zinc get eaten up quick in salt water? I had no idea about bronze - how does brass factor since my OMS SPG is made of it?

3) How the heck do you tie the knot linking the boltsnap to the SPG hose? They showed me, but I've already forgotten and don't see this any websites (so far).

(last one, a bit off subject...)

4) Can you just buy high-quality silicone grease at a hardware store for lubing regulator joints. Doesn't seem like you get much at the scuba stores for 5-6$?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have used stainless steel bolt snaps that I purchased from both Home Depot and Lowes and haven't had any corrosion or rust problems with them. Some brass snaps that I bought from them began forming a green corrosion after a few dives.

There's a place online that sells high-quality SS bolt snaps cheaply. Nix Dog Collars, though obviously specializing in dog collar fasteners, also sells marine-quality SS hardware in lots of 10-15 pieces at nice prices.

Nix doesn't have the small ones we use on the regulator second stage but they do have them a Lowes... but be sure to only get the SS.

As for the knot.... pass several loops of line around the hose and through the ring on the boltsnap... then tie an overhand between ring and hose...wrap around to opposite side and finish with a square knot... a drop of superglue on the square knot before you trim the ends keeps it from ever coming undone... trim the ends and you are done.

Tying the knots perpendicular to the loops makes two loops... one around the hose and one around the ring... seperated by the knot.

That's the way I do it... but someone else might have a better or at least different way.

Would a picture help?

I get mine at Lowes. They actually have "316 Steel" written on the package. No signs of rust or any other problems. About $6.00 each.

Thanks for the responses and photos - it's Saturday night so a little voice tells me that we should all get out more, but this is fun!

Anyway, what is the bolt snap for on the 2nd stage? I never really understood its purpose when I've seen it in images of other divers?

Also no-one commented on the silicone question - is it best ignored? I think I can get huge amounts of medical grade stuff for the same price so I'm wondering what's properties are critical ?Everyone I've spoken with says its okay to use with EAN <40%...

Thanks again.

Uncle Pug wrote...
maybe not worth quite a thousand words but hope it helps:
There's a disturbing synchronicity at work on this board sometimes....

I'd meant to write this post for some time now, and tonight I decided I'd better get on it before someone beat me to it.

And now this thread pops up...Aaaargh!

:wink:

merkin once bubbled...
Also no-one commented on the silicone question - is it best ignored? I think I can get huge amounts of medical grade stuff for the same price so I'm wondering what's properties are critical ?Everyone I've spoken with says its okay to use with EAN <40%...

Thanks again.
Unless you're using it on drysuit seals or moustaches, a tiny 2oz container will last years. I've had a 2oz container for 18 months, and it barely looks used.

merkin once bubbled...
Thanks for the responses and photos - it's Saturday night so a little voice tells me that we should all get out more, but this is fun!

Anyway, what is the bolt snap for on the 2nd stage? I never really understood its purpose when I've seen it in images of other divers?

Thanks again.
the bolt snap on the second stage is used to clip off your primary reg to your right d ring anytime that reg is not being used i.e. breathing off of a stage bottle or deco gas,surface swimming on your back,etc .It keeps the reg right where you can easily find it.It is also attached with an easily severed connection such as an o ring.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom