Bodies Recovered in School Sink aka Wayne's World, Hudson, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They just released the names . sad day .Divers found in sink hole identified
HUDSON -- Pasco authorities today identified the bodies of two men who died during a dive in a Hudson sink hole.

Joseph Christian Hartranft, 52, of 1504 Scotch Pine Drive in Brandon, and Yessic Cozay Spencer, of 2026 NW 27th Terr. in Gainesville, 42, were found just after 6 p.m. Wednesday at a site known locally as "School Sink," on Stevens Drive near Old Dixie Highway.

Spencer was a Marine stationed at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, authorities said.

The divers were reported missing on Tuesday to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. The Pasco County Sheriff's Office found Hartranft's Land Rover at School Sink on Wednesday afternoon, then called experienced cave divers to search the area.

The two men were recovered from School Sink, a popular spot for underwater cave diving in northwest Pasco.

The cause of death has not been determined, authorities say, and the investigation is still ongoing.

Camille C. Spencer, Times Staff Writer

Posted by tampabaycom at 4:43:16 PM on November 12, 2008
in Pasco | Permalink

Some peoples opinions may not gel with you and that's okay.

I hope the info. that was given to me was helpful in understanding what happened. The info. came to me by chance and I shared it. God forbid this happen again anyime soon but if so and you have info. please share. This can help us all learn. But please follow the guidlines for releasing info. as to not upset any unknowing family or friends of victim's.

My apologies to UCFdiver and the board for my post. We all make mistakes.

No back up reels were present. No word on gold line.

I didn't mean backup reels... I mean a primary reel run from the surface to the main line. Given what else has been posted, I would find this very suspect given that they had planned on at least two stages of deco.

Really make me wonder if they encountered a broken line on exit. It could take some real time to sort. Time they may not have had. I can't even imagine the decision to go to oxygen at 50ft.

I think we need to stop and re-focus on the issue at hand. There are 2 divers that have tragically lost their lives. There may be people reading these posts that are friends and/or loved ones of the lost divers. Lets show some respect.

If I tick anyone off with this post, sorry. I just am trying to read through this forum and learn. I hope that none of us have to go through a real life expereince such as this, but heaven forbid we do, we may learn something here that could make a difference.

Last edited:
Is it true that the two divers who died were Instructors?

If so, what kind of Instructors? Open Water? Cavern? Tech?

I think we need to stop and re-focus on the issue at hand. There are 2 divers that have tragically lost their lives. There are may be people reading these posts that are friends and/or loved ones of the lost divers. Lets show some respect.

That facts of what happened, why they most likely happened, and how they can be prevented in the future are fairly clear in this thread. Respect for the deceased can and should be shown in the condolences and memoriam section, this thread is to discuss what happened.
Please understand the caving community has worked very hard to gain access to many of these caves from private land owners and people dying in the caves puts that access in jeopardy for both present and future consideration.
There's a pattern of non-cave-trained divers venturing into complex and deep systems that needs to be stopped.

If I tick anyone off with this post, sorry. I just am trying to read through this forum and learn. I hope that none of us have to go through a real life expereince such as this, but heaven forbid we do, we may learn something here that could make a difference.

We must all learn this: Diving within our training and experience will help us to not make the judgmental and procedural errors that left two families grieving last night.

I didn't mean backup reels... I mean a primary reel run from the surface to the main line. Given what else has been posted, I would find this very suspect given that they had planned on at least two stages of deco.

Really make me wonder if they encountered a broken line on exit. It could take some real time to sort. Time they may not have had. I can't even imagine the decision to go to oxygen at 50ft.

The goldline starts at the stairs. The goldline is intact.

Is it true that the two divers who died were Instructors[

One was an OW instructor.

Back
Top Bottom