Bodies Recovered in School Sink aka Wayne's World, Hudson, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any chance of knowing if the right post had pressure?

If it's the only bottle with the needle off the peg.... I've read that it doesn't hurt, but I myself can't imagine that decision.

Willem
I agree that if it is the only gas you have, it is a no brainer of a decision. From research I have read regarding WWII O2 rebreather development, you may have 10 minutes or so at 50' on 100% O2 before you tox - with a lot of varaibles such as CO2 levels, activity levels, water temp, physical differences between individuals etc. Could be more, could be a lot less, but if it were me, I'd roll the dice and use whatever extra time it gave me to try to get myself out.

... they will be deluded into thinking they have it all figured out and do not need training or experience. Then they start diving in places they are unqualified to dive....
Gosh!
We don't know anyone like that, do we???
Haven't seen or heard 'bout him lately... wonder if he got lucky & had the dragon climb his back & run him off still alive?
Rick

Master Instructor and OWSI. Isolation valve turned off on one diver, other wrapped in line doing line sweeps. One ran out of air went to deco bottle it ran out then to O2 bottle below 50ft. One ventured out on his own got lost. Both used doubles.

Source - recovery diver.

Two questions if you know.

1. Was the goldline intact? Maybe be difficult to determine if there was an entanglement and a subsequent break.

2. Was a primary deployed from OW and was it intact.

Getting lost off the line is one of the biggest hazards in this game. Doing it in an unfamiliar cave, with low vis, and copious silt can be too much for many to handle. The answers to the questions I asked here might offer some clues into whether the divers simply ignored safety protocols, or ran into a legitimate problem that might befall any of us, like a broken main line on a low-vis exit.

Thanks.

No back up reels were present. No word on gold line.

I didn't mean backup reels... I mean a primary reel run from the surface to the main line. Given what else has been posted, I would find this very suspect given that they had planned on at least two stages of deco.

Really make me wonder if they encountered a broken line on exit. It could take some real time to sort. Time they may not have had. I can't even imagine the decision to go to oxygen at 50ft.

I am still confused about the entanglement. Was it the main line - if there werent any back up reels? And was there a line from open water?

Who puts out formal reports on these incidents? And where?

Is it true that the two divers who died were Instructors?

If so, what kind of Instructors? Open Water? Cavern? Tech?

Any chance of knowing if the right post had pressure?

If it's the only bottle with the needle off the peg.... I've read that it doesn't hurt, but I myself can't imagine that decision.

Willem

The goldline starts at the stairs. The goldline is intact.

One was an OW instructor.

I agree that if it is the only gas you have, it is a no brainer of a decision. From research I have read regarding WWII O2 rebreather development, you may have 10 minutes or so at 50' on 100% O2 before you tox - with a lot of varaibles such as CO2 levels, activity levels, water temp, physical differences between individuals etc. Could be more, could be a lot less, but if it were me, I'd roll the dice and use whatever extra time it gave me to try to get myself out.

I think I copied all the on-topic posts from the last page - for those of us not arguing and trying to wrap our heads around this.

The one with the isolator valve turned off - I'm thinking he was left with a full tank of air - yes?

I still find it stunning that people just don't think it will happen to them. :shakehead:

http://www.alex-warren.com/WaynesWorld1997-1998/WwVideo1997.asp

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

.. some off topic posts removed...Still in doubt, re-read forum rules. Learn and share knowledge, that's what this forum is for.

The answers to the questions I asked here might offer some clues into whether the divers simply ignored safety protocols, or ran into a legitimate problem that might befall any of us, like a broken main line on a low-vis exit.

I feel that these are the most important questions that need to be answered.

All,
Was on this page few weeks back from some of the folks from the Fl Sportsman fishing forum when my friend "Little John" passed after a dive. I figured I'd never be back here because I don't dive, just run a boat and fish, but today as I was leaving work I received a call from a friend and he told me about Yessic and the other Gentleman. I had to great opportunity to work with Yessic for four years right after 9/11 @ CENTCOM. We served many long days and nights both here in Tampa together and deployed to the Middle East. He was a great American and I will miss him dearly both as a Work mate and as a great friend. I am still in shock to hear about this. My prayers go out to both families and all of our other friends who are just finding out about the loss....

:42::42::42::42::42::42::42::42::42::42:

:usa:

So can you shed more light on this? Like what their certs were for sure, what went wrong, why were they separated....?

Sorry, I didn't have time to read through all of these post tonight. When you mentioned certification, were you talking about for caverns? As I mentioned before I was recently certified by these gentlemen in October for OW.

I think I copied all the on-topic posts from the last page - for those of us not arguing and trying to wrap our heads around this.

The one with the isolator valve turned off - I'm thinking he was left with a full tank of air - yes?
That would be good to know. Another possibility would be a free flow, ruptured burst disc, blown neck o-ring, etc resulting in rapid gas loss. In a system where even exhaled gas brings down silt, chunks of limestone etc, I could envision a scenario where a sudden gas loss event resulted in a silt out. If contact with the line was also lost while dealing with the failure, the situation could quickly get out of hand for a pair of non cave certified divers.

A cave dive that goes well does not appear to be overly taxing for an "experienced" diver. The cave training and requisite skills become vital when something goes wrong. It is that deceptively easy nature of a cave dive that goes well that makes diving in a cave so deadly for a diver who feels they are experienced, are an OW instructor, etc but lack proper cave training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom