Bodies Recovered in School Sink aka Wayne's World, Hudson, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2008/11/two-divers-miss.html

November 12, 2008

Two divers missing in Hudson

HUDSON -- Authorities are searching for two divers from Hillsborough County who have been missing since Tuesday.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office said a vehicle belonging to one of them was found near School Sink, a popular spot for underwater cave diving off Old Dixie Highway in northwest Pasco. The group that owns the property allows only very experienced divers to explore the cave.

No evidence of the divers has been found at the scene, sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll said. He did not release the names of the divers.

Molly Moorhead, Times staff writer

Posted by tampabaycom at 4:43:16 PM on November 12, 2008

Definitely not good. As unrealistic as it may be, hopefully they turn up to get the car after a bender.

I just got a phone call from a dive buddy making sure it wasnt ME!
I havent heard anything other than his phone call.

From fox news:
HUDSON—Pasco deputies are searching for two cave divers who have been missing since yesterday.

They are searching at a water-filled sinkhole in Hudson that leads down to a series of underwater caves.

The site is west of U.S. 19, in a wooded area south of Stevens Drive in Hudson.

The search started in Hillsborough County when the families of the two divers reported them missing.

Then Pasco deputies found one of the men's car near the sinkhole.

The divers haven't been identified.

The sinkhole is popular among divers. A friend of one of the divers told FOX 13 that the two men who are missing are experienced divers who have been diving in the area many times in the past.

The question on everyone's mind is, if the divers are down there, do they have enough air in their tanks to survive?

"At this point, we don't know how many tanks they took in, maybe two each, but that wouldn't give them too much air for too long," said Pasco Sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll.

I was just about to post about this too....

"November 12, 2008
HUDSON -- Authorities are searching for two divers from Hillsborough County who have been missing since Tuesday.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office said a vehicle belonging to one of them was found near School Sink, a popular spot for underwater cave diving off Old Dixie Highway in northwest Pasco.

No evidence of the divers has been found at the scene, sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll said. He did not release the names of the divers.

The property is owned by a local chapter of the National Speleological Society, which uses it for cave diving. Paul Heinerth, the group's property manager, told the Times in August that only the most experienced divers may try the cave, also dubbed "Wayne's World." Heinerth requires every diver to have completed at least 100 dives.

Despite its "No Trespassing" signs, the property draws uninvited visitors, too, including a Hudson woman who drowned there in August.

Molly Moorhead, Times staff writer"

I just saw this on the news @ 6, anyone hear of this?

I just saw it on the news too and my heart sank. My first thought was that I hope they got out and are ok the next is that is not anyone that I've met through this great board. I will pray for them and their families.:depressed:

While I'm sure the media will not get hardly any of the info right its a sad story anyway. Hopefully they will be found somewhere other than in the hole.

End of the 6:00 news recap. As of 7:00pm Divers didn't make it. Bodys are being recovered now. No names yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom