Waterford, MI - Missing Diver Recovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBalloch

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Link:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060713/NEWS99/60713006

Body of Waterford diver recovered

July 13, 2006

Email this Print this BY GINA DAMRON

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Divers with the Oakland County Sheriff’s Department marine division recovered the body of a 51-year-old man, who went missing in Maceday Lake in Waterford Wednesday night.

The man, a Waterford resident, was scuba diving with a group Wednesday and disappeared shortly after 8 p.m., said Sgt. James Karr, with the sheriff’s department.

At 2:30 p.m., the man’s body was found on the west side of the lake, 107-feet down, said Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe. He said there was a lot of debris on the lake bottom, such as old boats, bicycles and realtor signs, which made finding the man difficult.

McCabe said that at that depth, it is completely dark and less than 40 degrees. He said the fact that lake is so deep is what attracts recreational divers.

McCabe said that the man, whose name has not yet been released, but is expected to be today, was a member of a diving club and was at the lake with about 10 people. When his fellow divers surfaced, they realized he was missing and called police.

The sheriff’s divers started searching after 8 p.m., stopped at 10 p.m. and resumed the search at 7 a.m. today. Two sheriff’s deputies were taken to get oxygen at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak on Wednesday, after experiencing tingling feelings during their dives to find the man, McCabe said.

Maceday Lake is bounded to the north by Andersonville Road, to the west by Nelsey Road and to the south by Williams Lake Road. Dixie Highway is to the east.

I live in SC, but my Mom lives in MI. She said she heard a TV news report on this and was asking me some questions. The TV news report said a group was diving and they became low on air. Tried to find the missing diver on the bottom, could not and had to surface due to low air levels for the group. You know how the media is, so not sure how much of this is true. I wonder what the reason for the low psi was? Either they were pushing the limits or they spent as much time as possible looking for the guy before they had to surface if the low psi report is true.

I have done a web search of the 3 news stations and they did not have anymore to say than above article. Anyone else hear anything?

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/9512379/detail.html

Crews continue to search on Thursday for a diver missing in a Waterford Township lake.

The 51-year-old Waterford man went diving with a large group on Wednesday night on Maceday Lake at about 8:15 p.m. and never resurfaced, according to the Oakland County Sheriff's Department.

Dive teams from the Sheriff's Department were at the scene Wednesday night.

Two of the divers were transported to a hospital for treatment after ascending from the depths of the lake too fast, the station reported. They were treated and released.

The diver's name was not released. No further details were available

Back
Top Bottom