Boat Crew Setting Up Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhatmama:
My experience is limited but I find most dive masters to be helpful in pointing out the local flora and fauna. Since I'm a fish person (not a wreck fan) that is important to me. I would tip all but the worst service in a 3rd world country because the people are poor. The dive masters work under hazardous conditions and often have families to support.

I don't see how divemasters get in the way of the safety of your dive in most instances.

A good point, esp if I'm not familiar with an area I love having someone show me around a dive site, if they dive it every day they'll know where the cool things are and not everythingis obvious if oyu don't know hwere too look... nudibranchs for example.

I always find that if you tell a dm your experience level and what you want out of the diving they ill go out of their way to oblige you (as they should).

I don't personally need a dm there to make things safer for me in the majority of occasions but hel, if I haven't been to a dive site before I won't know about the hazards in the area and I certainly like to play safe.

DandyDon:
You're really trying to piss the guy off, aren't you?

There are many boards where this is allowed. I am glad that this is not one of them.

Yep, hate being called a parasite when I work a 70hr week and teach free of charge at the weekends, often for charitable organisations.

DORSETBOY:
Yep, hate being called a parasite when I work a 70hr week and teach free of charge at the weekends, often for charitable organisations.
I don't recall SeaJay calling you, an instructor, a parasite. Maybe you should go 'take another look' or whatever at his posts. Instructors are a valuable asset to the dive community and I'm sure SeaJay would agree, most of the time. :) But, in many cases, a DM with little or no experience is looking for a handout and do get in the way of more experienced divers. I'm sure you weren't one of those DM's when you were working on your instructor cert. :) If he called pilots a bunch of drunks, I'd probably just order him a round, even though I'm not a drunk. :)

Hate to be the interfering newbie, but perhaps the best way to resolve this is -

Do what makes you comfortable, but be aware of the risks.

Some of us just wish we could afford holidays where someone else was setting up our kit whether we wanted them to or not. :wink:

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

/relurks :sofa:

DORSETBOY:
I shouldn't have butted in. Like I said, I'm too tired to research this thread fully. Apologies. :blush:

redhatmama:
I always tip service people 10% for adequate, more for good service. There are bathroom attendants in hotels in places like New York. They hand you clean towels and some wash your coins so you don't get the inside of your pockets dirty. There are also doormen who expect to be tipped. I don't think you would like New York. :wink:

I know New York well. Spent many years up there. That's why I live down here. :D

C'mon... Do you really think I want to be handed a towel after I wash my hands? Like I can't get it myself from the dispenser on the wall... The very idea that there's someone there providing a "service" that I didn't ask for - and expecting me to dig into my pockets for a tip... Well, I find that offensive.

I almost killed a homeless man once in Newark when he tried to wash the windshield of my motorcycle - with a paper towel. (Motorcycle windshields are plastic and scratch easily.) Whattheheckever crossed this guy's mind to approach a big, smelly, unshaven and intimidating guy in full leathers - and try to touch his bike - I'll never know.

"Wash my coins?" You've got to be kidding. No, my money's just fine, thank you. Sheesh.

My experience is limited but I find most dive masters to be helpful in pointing out the local flora and fauna. Since I'm a fish person (not a wreck fan) that is important to me. I would tip all but the worst service in a 3rd world country because the people are poor. The dive masters work under hazardous conditions and often have families to support.

Oh, those poor babies. Poor, poor divemasters that have to deal with the hazards of diving the world's most sought-after dive spots. :rolleyes:

I don't see how divemasters get in the way of the safety of your dive in most instances.

You haven't read enough examples on this thread alone?

SeaJay, I really really really hope that I've missed the joke or that the irony of what you're saying has elluded me... otherwise I'm afraid to say that you're a very unpleasant individual and not someone I'd really like to buddy with let alone take out on a boat

Hank49:
You sound like a lot of fun. Seriously. Come on down and I'll take you out on my boat any time. And I won't charge you. And I won't touch your fricken' gear either, but I will kick it out of the way if it's laying on the deck. Or I may drop a fish on it. Keep divin' amigo. Hank

Hm. You sound like my kind of dive buddy. :D

Sounds like my kind of dive outfit. :D

Hey, you're in Belize... Don't be surprised if I end up on your doorstep. The whole freakin' world wants to dive in your backyard.

I won't leave my gear out on your deck. I'm not that kind of diver. :D

I'm also not the kind of diver that expects you to take care of it for me.

I can't understand the mentality of someone who does not take responsibility for their own dives.

...No, wait... I UNDERSTAND it... I just can't relate to the mentality.

DORSETBOY:
SeaJay, I really really really hope that I've missed the joke or that the irony of what you're saying has elluded me... otherwise I'm afraid to say that you're a very unpleasant individual and not someone I'd really like to buddy with let alone take out on a boat
No - I will say this: You didn't have to say that.

Firefyter:
I'm probably gonna be real unpopular for saying this, but that's never bothered me before, so here goes. Really people, some of you need to get over yourselves. This ain't rocket science, and most of these guys have been setting gear up for years. They are trying their best to provide good service to you, the paying customer, and make your trip as relaxing as possible. You really need to ease up with the attitudes and just enjoy the trip. I'm not saying jump in the water without looking at your gear or checking your tank. It doesn't take but a minute to look everything over, and you don't run the risk of offending or alienating the boat crew by doing so. One of my favorite sayings is "Trust, but verify." Let these guys earn their tips by carrying and setting the gear up, look it over and make sure everything's ok, and just have fun. Or not, it's your choice, but it works for me. I'm sure Christi will back me up on most of this, as will several others that dive in Coz and surrounding areas. Just my .02.

I agree with you Thomas I dont mind them setting up my gear I have never been on a boat that didnt but i do check over my gear after it is set up and make sure everything is right and secured the way I like it. I carry a camera and a flash light so i also hook my camera and flashlight to by BCD so it doesnt get lost on entry or exit. Before i put my gear on i make sure my air is on and I do breathe in my regulator several times to make sure everything is ok. Kathy in Texas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom