Boat Crew Setting Up Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Do my own gear checks, do buddy checks, then get my buddy to check my air valve right before striding in. (emphasis added)
Just a little thread hijack ...... Being able to reach your own valve is better. Not having the tank overly low, and putting your forearm against your head rather than out to the side make it easy.... OK, now back to the regularly scheduled rants.

Charlie

DandyDon:
. I just worked around them.

Do my own gear checks, do buddy checks, then get my buddy to check my air valve right before striding in. And tell your friends to not dive with them. :angry:

The only places I've been where the operator hooked up my gear was on a live aboard at Tubattaha Reef and Coco View in Roatan. I didn't think twice about it. What can they screw up?

Charlie99:
Just a little thread hijack ...... Being able to reach your own valve is better. Not having the tank overly low, and putting your forearm against your head rather than out to the side make it easy.... OK, now back to the regularly scheduled rants.

Charlie
Good suggestion. I'll work on that. :thumb:

:crafty:

The dive outfit I havebeen diving for many years when on vacation always hooks up the gear. Thats fine with me - They put BC on tank, hook up regs but let you attach computer, octo etc. I think its great. When diving out of San Diego dive boat you do your own hook up. Thats fine also. Just check your equipment, no big thing
montyb

Hank49:
The only places I've been where the operator hooked up my gear was on a live aboard at Tubattaha Reef and Coco View in Roatan. I didn't think twice about it. What can they screw up?
Oh, they can screw up plenty, and I screw up enough on my own! :lol2:

Also had a problem in Cozumel, as the mate who did my gear didn't have English, and my Spanish is so bad I never try except with the easiest words, i.e. moss, grande, gracious, and later on - cervaza.

DORSETBOY:
seayjay.. have a butchers again at the above statement... you might find people respond better! :eyebrow:

...than what? And what the heck is a "butchers?"

DMs and I get along fine. I don't take them on my boat, and we all get along fine.

I don't want to be watched, studied, protected, or informed. I can do that on my own, thank you very much.

DM's belong back on the dock, making the coffee. Give me a capable boat captain and a couple of good dive team members, and I'm perfectly happy. I don't put up with DM attitudes well, I don't need a lackey, and I certainly am not going to pay for whatever service they think they're offering.

As far as I'm concerned, if they feel that they deserve a place on my boat, I'm willing to oblige - when they pay me just like any other passenger, I'll consider taking them out.

"Tip" them? Are you kidding?

DMs are nothing more than dive industry leeches looking to suck money out of divers while they dive. Think about how nice that would be - to dive and get paid for it. That's exactly what they're doing, no more and no less.

Get a real job and pay for your diving instead of trying to freeload on some dummy who doesn't know any better. Parasite.

SeaJay:
Butcher's is a shortened version of "butcher's hook" - rhyming slang for "look".

So i'll put you down as a "maybe not a tipping customer" when i get my DM cert next year :wink: It wouldnt bother me either way if i was or wasnt being tipped as i would only do it part time anyway, i am not going to make a living off of it for sure.

DandyDon:
Anyway, rather than get into a problem with the skipper who was insulted, I let him put my BC on my tank and all, then I went over it. I still had to watch out for them messing with my valves after I suited up, and the second mate - who almsot hit me with a drift line tied to a 2# weight - did turn one gal's air almost off for a 140 foot dive. I just worked around them.

No, you "just paid them." You PAID for the privilege of "working around them."

It's a darn good thing that we don't have KitchenMasters... I'd hate to have to "work around" someone when I want to make myself a sandwich... And then pay them for the obstacle. I'm sure glad we don't have "DriveMasters" that I have to "work around" when I want to get in my car and go to work... And then pay them for getting in the way. I'm sure glad we don't have "BathroomMasters" that I have to work around when I want to go to the bathroom...

...And to think how silly these concepts are - yet you put up with someone getting in the way of your dive. In fact, you put up with someone getting in the way of the SAFETY of your dive.

Then tip them for it.

You've got to be kidding.

SeaJay:

DMs and I get along fine. I don't take them on my boat, and we all get along fine.

I don't want to be watched, studied, protected, or informed. I can do that on my own, thank you very much.

DM's belong back on the dock, making the coffee. Give me a capable boat captain and a couple of good dive team members, and I'm perfectly happy. I don't put up with DM attitudes well, I don't need a lackey, and I certainly am not going to pay for whatever service they think they're offering.

As far as I'm concerned, if they feel that they deserve a place on my boat, I'm willing to oblige - when they pay me just like any other passenger, I'll consider taking them out.

"Tip" them? Are you kidding?

DMs are nothing more than dive industry leeches looking to suck money out of divers while they dive. Think about how nice that would be - to dive and get paid for it. That's exactly what they're doing, no more and no less.

Get a real job and pay for your diving instead of trying to freeload on some dummy who doesn't know any better. Parasite.

It's nice to hear someone with such a good sense of humor....

Hank49:

*smacks head*

Never mind. I'm giving up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom