Bluewater (Pelham AL) Quarry closing all but 4 days this winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now look what you've done Denisegg, you've gone and got yourself scolded! Or is it reprimanded?

What did I do?....I was just discussing the pros and cons of a wetsuit vs a drysuit in response to varying temperates at varying depths...where is the nonsense in that?....

I talked to Fred from Marthas, he said he would open for 15 divers and a few days notice. That gives him time to get the paperwork done for the insurance to be in effect during off season.

BTW: DEMA is going good, but I cant wait to get back to normal.

Kowaliga....
If the lake doesn't dry up completely.
drmon.gif

That "exceptional" blob in the southeast pretty much covers Lake Martin's entire source.
Nevertheless... so long as there's water we'll be diving there over the winter from time to time & y'all are all welcome to come on down :)
Rick

I talked to Fred from Marthas, he said he would open for 15 divers and a few days notice. That gives him time to get the paperwork done for the insurance to be in effect during off season.

BTW: DEMA is going good, but I cant wait to get back to normal.

15 divers? Fred has been inhaling the fumes off his diesel compressor again I see.

I could see getting up a group of 4 to 6 divers, mabye up to 8, but getting up 15 divers who will follow through with comittment (payment) and show is a lot of coordination on our part so that he can take home $450 bucks for the day while he sits on his butt under that pavillion. ($450 based on he charges $30 now to get in times 15 people). He's freakin' crazy.

As for insurance, from talking to other quarry operators, when they get insurance they have to pay for it for the entire year. Mostly July to June (of next year). Sounds like he's blowing smoke to me....

looks like Bluewater will be getting our business (the few days they are open).

Kowaliga....
If the lake doesn't dry up completely.

That "exceptional" blob in the southeast pretty much covers Lake Martin's entire source.
Nevertheless... so long as there's water we'll be diving there over the winter from time to time & y'all are all welcome to come on down :)
Rick

Lake martin is at a huge low. I saw a boat for sale on EBAy that they said they were selling because Lake Martin was low and would be the next two years and they didn't want to pay for a boat they couldn't use for two years.

15 divers? Fred has been inhaling the fumes off his diesel compressor again I see.

I could see getting up a group of 4 to 6 divers, mabye up to 8, but getting up 15 divers who will follow through with comittment (payment) and show is a lot of coordination on our part so that he can take home $450 bucks for the day while he sits on his butt under that pavillion. ($450 based on he charges $30 now to get in times 15 people). He's freakin' crazy.

As for insurance, from talking to other quarry operators, when they get insurance they have to pay for it for the entire year. Mostly July to June (of next year). Sounds like he's blowing smoke to me....

looks like Bluewater will be getting our business (the few days they are open).

Mike,

That is based off $20 per diver. Also, insurance can be obtained as a seasonal option to keep costs down, ie. charter boats, quarries, dive resorts that only open during high season pay less since they arent open all year.

That is what I was planning on purchasing for the first year if I got a quarry opened.

There is a big difference between paying 3-4 K and 1500 when you dont have customers during a certain part of the year.

Back
Top Bottom