Bluewater (Pelham AL) Quarry closing all but 4 days this winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
well, for those who want to dive all winter long, first DiveLand/Glencoe is closed, then Madison Quarry is closed, now BlueWater is closing all but 4 days this winter....

from http://www.divealabama.com/

NOTE: AFTER SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17TH THROUGH MARCH - WE WILL BE OPEN ONLY THE FIRST SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH OR BY APPOINTMENT.

THOSE DATES ARE: DEC. 1; JAN. 5; FEB. 2; AND MAR. 1 This is due to construction of our new geodesic dome dive shop and coffee house​

I wont make any guarantees until I talk to Fred at Martha's, but we might be able to get him to open up a few times during the winter.

Depending on how may people want to go diving, I can check with him and see if that is an option? More than likely he would want to get a certain amount of divers each time.

Also, when I spoke to John at Glencoe about 2 months ago, he said he would open the quarry for us if I had 8-10 divers and gave him advanced notice. I am not sure if that still applies for diving in the winter, but I will check on it.

I am waiting for a return call from Anthony at Moulton to find out if there are any options there.

On the one hand, nuts! Diving all winter is half the fun, and the January date is out for me, since that'll be during J.'s vacation back from Japan (alas, diving is but a distant second to me... I know, I know :biggrin:).

On the other hand, it's nice to see that they're actually going to get the thing built... but *how* long is it going to take?!? Will they reopen normally with calendar spring?

Anyway... I've never been to Moulton or Glencoe, and I've only been to Martha's once, so why not diversify, eh? :)

That sucks. I plannned on diving all winter, once I finished with my checkout dives this week.
I guess that'll just give me another excuse to save up for a road trip to the Keys this winter :D

Does anyone around here dive Lake Tuscaloosa? That seems like it might be an option...

Mike_s is just providing information. He is NOT offering to do any diving during the winter. :rofl3:

On the one hand, nuts! Diving all winter is half the fun, and the January date is out for me, since that'll be during J.'s vacation back from Japan (alas, diving is but a distant second to me... I know, I know :biggrin:).

On the other hand, it's nice to see that they're actually going to get the thing built... but *how* long is it going to take?!? Will they reopen normally with calendar spring?

will they get done in time? i dunno... but ABWA is COLD until mid summer regardless.

Anyway... I've never been to Moulton or Glencoe, and I've only been to Martha's once, so why not diversify, eh? :)

Moulton is nice. but nothing fancy. about a 3 acre quarry. the 'upper basin' is about 25 to 35' deep. the lower basin is about 55 to 65 feet deep. (rumored there is a spot at 70', but either I didn't notice or didn't see it). the 'lower basin' is just FREAKIN' COLD though. Even in August. I've never dove a quarry that was so cold.

Mike_s is just providing information. He is NOT offering to do any diving during the winter. :rofl3:

I've done winter diving...... and i've grown to be a wimp in cold water...

so no more winter diving for me until I get my drysuit!!!

Now Rocketman will dive wet all year round. he's either tougher or dumber... :rofl3: (not sure which yet!)

But he scares all the fish away with his teeth chattering from the cold.

will they get done in time? i dunno... but ABWA is COLD until mid summer regardless.
Seemed nice an toasty to me... but if I say that too loudly, the wetsuiters who were there in February will kill me again. :biggrin:

the 'lower basin' is just FREAKIN' COLD though. Even in August. I've never dove a quarry that was so cold.
Got a temperature estimate? It was 42°F below 60-70 feet in Pennyroyal Blue up in Kentucky. My lips were burning. :D

Got a temperature estimate?

last time I was at Moulton, it was somewhere in the mid to low 60's in the upper basin. Rocketman and I were diving wet and slipped over the edge into the dark abyss of the thermocline into the depths.... and... ***YEEEOOOOWW**** IT WAS COLD. We didn't stay down long enough for our thermometers to register.

However, I did dive the lower basin there once in April when it was in the mid 30's on the bottom. We surface swam over to the bus and went down the line. I was "layered up" with my 5m top and bottom on (farmer john) with hood, gloves, etc. the only skin showing was the area around my lips and mouth. We went down and since the water in my suit was already warm, I didn't initially notice the temp being so cold (that and I was already sort numb). But my lips started hurting like someone was sticking sewing needles in them. I moved them around and boy that was a mistake in that colder water. I couldn't quite figure it out as the rest of my body wasn't cold much yet.

one of the other divers pointed to his gauge and the surface. I thought he was low on air and needed to surface. In reality he was pointing to the thermometer located on the pressure gauge and how cold it was. Of course that was the topic of discussion as soon as we hit the surface. I was like hmmmm... that explains why my lips hurt so bad.

so it was THAT DAMN COLD! :rofl3:

In talking with Anthony, etc, they think theyv'e got some springs in the lower basin responsible for the colder water.

The good thing about Moulton Quarry is that they will open it any weekend during the for the minimum of 4 or 5 divers paid fee. So it takes just a small group of people to get it opened. I think they might allow you to camp on the property also.

That sucks. I plannned on diving all winter, once I finished with my checkout dives this week.
I guess that'll just give me another excuse to save up for a road trip to the Keys this winter :D

Does anyone around here dive Lake Tuscaloosa? That seems like it might be an option...

Does this sound like I should start a new thread? The 2d annual Key Largo diving bash, with the excpetion that this one really happens? Name some dates! I got a condo deal that allows us to pack up to 10 for $125 a night (might have gone up some). Trip organizer gets first dibs on master suite! How about it Frank? Mike?

Trip organizer gets first dibs on master suite!

Of course you have to share the master suite if you are going to fit 10 people in a 3 bedroom condo.

You guys pick some dates. I might be up for a long weekend trip. Or whatever. I am going to do all of my winter diving in the nice spring water of the Fl. panhandle otherwise. 67 degrees sounds great compared to the low 50's in ABWA once a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom