Blue Hole WILL Be Open Weekends in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I called the Visitors Center, spoke with a nice, new lady about the heads being trashed yesterday and no one from the city there to help with problems. She referred me to Nick at the City office, who referred me to the city web site. At that point I asked why there was no information about the closings on the site. Not his job...

He did encouage me to encourage all divers to send comments by email to Richard Delgado: rdelgado@srnm.org I will, and - perhaps other may want to do so.

Stell said The Hole would be close all of June, but Kim said it will be open weekends.

Yeah .. I would doubt that they would close up during the weekends. Half of their summer economy would dwindle to almost nothing because of the lack of divers. You would also have a bunch of ticked off dive shops because they would be seriously messing up the busy season for certifications.

You never know though. The City of Santa Rosa just might be willing to shoot themselves in the toe to spite their face.

amascuba:
Yeah .. I would doubt that they would close up during the weekends. Half of their summer economy would dwindle to almost nothing because of the lack of divers. You would also have a bunch of ticked off dive shops because they would be seriously messing up the busy season for certifications.

You never know though. The City of Santa Rosa just might be willing to shoot themselves in the toe to spite their face.
Well, the hamlet of Santa Rosa gets more outside income & taxes from I-40 travelers stopping for the night, I think, but divers do put a lot into the town, nonetheless. I would think they'd expect us to be the ones to pay for the expensive Blue Hole developments planned.

I never bothered sending an email comment before as I figured it'd just be one voice to ignore conveniently, but if a large number of divers and shops send in mail now, it could make an impact.

Or, if nothing happens, nothing happens...

That's the same information I got before. It won't be the prettiest diving we seen (or not seen) but being closed all of June would definitely piss some folks off.

So what was the problem with the heads Don? Did some local yocals tear them up or what?

ABQdiver:
That's the same information I got before. It won't be the prettiest diving we seen (or not seen) but being closed all of June would definitely piss some folks off.

So what was the problem with the heads Don? Did some local yocals tear them up or what?
I don't have enough info to blame anyone, but you could not flush any in either. I'm glad the urge not done in a wet suit didn't hit me, like it does sometimes when I'm working at hydrating and wet for long periods, as there was no public place for that anywhere in town - and it was a long ways to any business head I might have asked to use.

Since you work with closely with a shop, how about asking Richard about getting a emailing list going with timely updates...?

DandyDon:
Since you work with closely with a shop, how about asking Richard about getting a emailing list going with timely updates...?

Great idea!! I've thought for some time it would be really beneficial if the cities website could show these updates, changes and schedules as well.

Let me ask around...

ABQdiver:
Great idea!! I've thought for some time it would be really beneficial if the cities website could show these updates, changes and schedules as well.

Let me ask around...
Yep, that site really should offer updates, but it's going to take a more than a phone call from me to change anything. The more who email the better.

And some have complained that they received no word on planned closings. This would be a good approach on getting an email update program going....

yes, we also e-mailed him --- April he told us that Blue Hole would be closed the whole month of June as the corp will be doing the concrete work around the perimeter and stairs and also the "shoring up" of the wall problems, with concrete. (great, a big cement pond - reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies) LOL

Yesterday, we e-mailed again regarding the low water levels reported by some divers.
His response is now that they, the corp of engineers, will "probably" have it open weekends in June.
The low water level he says is that some people are removing the baffles at the runoff, which is why there was no water at the steps or down to the ledge. We will be taking over a group this coming weekend so I will let you know the status of this.....

robint

Well, that didn't go over so well. My email....
Subject: Blue Hole

We were there yesterday from 9am to about 3pm.

(1) No one from the city was there to sell permits.

(2) Both bathrooms were trashed, unusable, but nothing could be done.

(3) And your web site has no information about plans, closing dates, etc.

Don Henderson
Ph 806-292-0009​
Mr. Delgado's reply...
Don,

The Blue Hole permit is an honor system. The city does loose revenue when permit fees are not collected but the ones you are really getting over on are your fellow scuba divers who do pay for the privelige to use the Blue Hole.

The permit application form is available on line, and obviously you were looking at the website.

Do you have a vaild divers permit to dive at the Blue Hole or Perch Lake in Santa Rosa? If you do please email your phone number and I will call you and address your concerns.

If you do not have a valid, current permit please fill out the application form, available on the website and remit with either 8.00 for a weekly, 25.00 for an annual permit, 50.00 for an instructor, or 100.00 for a shop. The mailing address is on the form.

After you pay for the permit and fill out the form, we'll talk.

Thanks for your input.

Richard
I guess that's the way it is...?

DandyDon:
After you pay for the permit and fill out the form, we'll talk.

Thanks for your input.

Richard
Well, that didn't go over so well. My email....

Mr. Delgado's reply...

I guess that's the way it is...?

So let me get this straight, you have to buy a permit to ask an elected official questions now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom